SUT for Ortofon Verismo?

Delkat

May 10, 2022
I don’t think the 0.2mV output of my Verismo is a good match for my ARC Ref 3SE phono stage. Even with the Ref 3SE’s 73db of gain, the cartridge just doesn’t have the drive and dynamics that the 0.5mV Umami Red has on the same table on the second input of the Ref 3SE. I don’t have any experience with SUTs but am open to any recommendations. Trying to decide whether to keep pursuing making this cartridge work or selling it. The Verismo has an internal impedance of 7ohms and recommended load setting of 10ohms. The Ref 3SE’s lowest load setting is 50 ohms.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lynnot
My recommendation is Ortofon T-3000 or old Kondo SFz with 3ohms input. I’m very familiar with both. Unfortunately there is no budget SUT good for low impedance, low output cartridges. IMHO Ortofons benefit from low load considering their character.

Reactions: Johan K and Lynnot
Hi,

you may want to try vintage SUTs like Fidelity Research XF-1 type L or XF-1 type M.
Few (vintage) AudioNote SUTs are optimised for low impedance cartridges as well and sound really good.

Best regards, Tony

I’m using the current Kondo SFz on the 1.5 ohm setting with the Verismo, originally I used it with an Allnic 7000, big improvement. I was comparing that combo to the Kondo Heritage M7 with the SFz and felt the SFz and Allnic got me to 95% of the M7. Now it is tethered to a Kondo GE-10i , that is my end game!

I’m using the current Kondo SFz on the 1.5 ohm setting with the Verismo, originally I used it with an Allnic 7000, big improvement. I was comparing that combo to the Kondo Heritage M7 with the SFz and felt the SFz and Allnic got me to 95% of the M7. Now it is tethered to a Kondo GE-10i , that is my end game!
Wow, that SFz is a gorgeous piece! Not sure if the 34db gain is ideal with the 3SE’s low gain setting of 51db. Seems like the SFz might be a reason to upgrade the phone stage. The rabbit hole gets deeper. I just ordered a 0.5mV Lyra Atlas. Maybe I should stay focused!

Perhaps the Phasemation T-2000 is worthy of condsideration? Suited to internal cartridge impedance from 1.5 to 40 Ohms and optimised for 4 Ohms.

I’m running my 0,2mV Ortofon MC Diamond through my AirTight ATH-2 Reference SUT at 23dB gain… works extremely well ;)! Should work very well with the Verismo too. However.. it is a bit expensive… but very good.

/Jk

Ortofon mc cartridges runs really good with 1:20 sut (26db)at 47kohm MM(load~ 117ohms)with standard mm input(40db) gain. No problems with noise with 0.2mV cartridge. Lower output cartridges e.g ortofon mc 7500 you need 72db gain.

I believe there are SUTs in most phono stages including the Ref 3SE. Maybe the SUT in the 3SE is not a good match for the low impedance Verismo. I have a Zesto and Gold Note phono stage so maybe I’ll try one of them with the Verismo just to see if I have the same issue. I have the Gold Note paired with a 0.2mV Ortofon SPU and it sounds pretty good.

I believe there are SUTs in most phono stages including the Ref 3SE. Maybe the SUT in the 3SE is not a good match for the low impedance Verismo. I have a Zesto and Gold Note phono stage so maybe I’ll try one of them with the Verismo just to see if I have the same issue. I have the Gold Note paired with a 0.2mV Ortofon SPU and it sounds pretty good.
The AR have no sut inside, mc gain (high)done with fet(transistors) use low gain setting with extern sut that brings you joy with ortofon mc.20240909_075305.jpg

Reactions: Johan K

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu