Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I did remove the swiches and it is all ok but not as good as it was . Big step down.
I wish I could just take it out and have both
better music and money back from the switches ....
Just shows it's like everything, system dependent.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
I'll try copper ethernet again from modem/router to Extreme maybe later today or tomorrow just to hear for myself.

It’s early days with TAS, but there’s mounting evidence towards UTP cable screens being quite harmful. If you do try this, do try an unshielded UTP cable or atleast one with a “floating” shield.

It would not be very surprising to me this is actually a big advantage of Fiber. We’re all used to using cat6/7/8 shielded cables. The signal carrying conductors are transformer decoupled but the shield is not, or it may just act as an antenna as its directly connected to the server chassis (and usually the switch chassis).

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
It’s early days with TAS, but there’s mounting evidence towards UTP cable screens being quite harmful. If you do try this, do try an unshielded UTP cable or atleast one with a “floating” shield.

It would not be very surprising to me this is actually a big advantage of Fiber. We’re all used to using cat6/7/8 shielded cables. The signal carrying conductors are transformer decoupled but the shield is not, or it may just act as an antenna as its directly connected to the server chassis (and usually the switch chassis).
Well, the installed copper ethernet run is good quality generic and has molded plastic terminations at both ends rather than fancy metal connectors. So if it is shielded there is hopefully no complete path through the shield via the connectors.

Steve Z

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
How is well is WiFi likely to work with TAS?

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Well, the installed copper ethernet run is good quality generic and has molded plastic terminations at both ends rather than fancy metal connectors. So if it is shielded there is hopefully no complete path through the shield via the connectors.

Steve Z

All plastic connectors qualify as non conductive :)

Reactions: marmota

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
All plastic connectors qualify as non conductive :)
Whew, so I didn't waste the money spent on electrical engineering courses after all!

Steve Z

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Something like a netgear Orbi does seem to perform quite ok if spaced away from your system.
Emile, in the UK we are stuck with our commercial routers, we cannot swap them out for more advanced alternatives.
The router in my house is 50', and one storey, from the audio setup.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Something like a netgear Orbi does seem to perform quite ok if spaced away from your system.
Emile, in the UK we are stuck with our commercial routers, we cannot swap them out for more advanced alternatives.
The router in my house is 50', and one storey, from the audio setup.
I think I must be the only Extreme user that uses wifi to stream from my Orbi router downstairs to an Orbi satellite upstairs in my sound room.I then run Ethernet from the satellite to the Extreme. Contrary to everyone's advice not to have this near my audio gear, mine is sitting directly behind my amps and there is zero noise in my system

Reactions: HughP3

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
Just shows it's like everything, system dependent.
Yes that might be a reason.
Buffalows with Pink Faun Ultra clocks are just amazing at this time.
They add so much uncompressed space and authority to the music
I cant disconnect them for more than a short time.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
I think I must be the only Extreme user that uses wifi to stream from my Orbi router downstairs to an Orbi satellite upstairs in my sound room.I then run Ethernet from the satellite to the Extreme. Contrary to everyone's advice not to have this near my audio gear, mine is sitting directly behind my amps and there is zero noise in my system
You’re not the only heretic here Steve as I do the same in the interests of domestic harmony.

62F8066B-41D9-4665-A4E2-CCBBA226E4E6.jpeg

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
You’re not the only heretic here Steve as I do the same in the interests of domestic harmony.

View attachment 74738

as someone who works on wireless communication, i'm terrified :)
its a good thing the extreme is a virtual faraday cage!

is the wifi access point reasonably nearby? if so, power control and beamforming antennas could be keeping the transmitted power low.

Esotar

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
South Korea
www.digituslabs.kr
[[[[[ Roon VS TAS ]]]]]

As you all feel, Roon and TAS have many differences about Sound Quality.

My customer who borrowed Divin Marquis made two movies can show differences of them.

But these are recording videoes.

Sound qualities are all bad.

TAS has perfect sound balance.

Roon has bass sound boost.

In case of bad quality movies, you may misunderstand by yourself.

1. SGM Extreme with Roon

2. SGM Extreme with TAS

Roon has very dirty bass sounds.

If you hear this system directly, you will not be patient for Roon's idiot dirty bass sounds.

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco

is the wifi access point reasonably nearby? if so, power control and beamforming antennas could be keeping the transmitted power low.
Hmm, the more modern WiFi access points will have this type of tech and likely to be pushing out less power when nearby

Emile does have antennas and RF amplifiers to measure GHz emissions This could be a nice project for a summer intern.

Reactions: nenon

Esotar

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
South Korea
www.digituslabs.kr
Reactions: oldmustang

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015

Is 50ft away, which is why I’m doing this to save traipsing 20m of ethernet cable along the hallway. I did a comparison against being hardwired with a long run of my own Sablon ethernet cable a couple of years ago and the wifi sounded better. Go figure.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing