Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

We have not taken adding/removing favourites into consideration for TAS yet. The Qobuz/Tidal favourite lists are stored into your respective accounts. That means if you delete them from Roon or the Qobuz/Tidal app, they should disappear everywhere. Reversely, if you add Qobuz or Tidal favourites in Roon or their app, they are automatically added to TAS.
Thank you! I never even thought about it but when Ken asked I started looking for drop downs or an X that you could hit. Not an issue for me as you say it's easily done over in Roon if you all of a sudden hate something and don't want to see it anymore:)

Thank you! I never even thought about it but when Ken asked I started looking for drop downs or an X that you could hit. Not an issue for me as you say it's easily done over in Roon if you all of a sudden hate something and don't want to see it anymore:)

Admittedly I didn't think of that either, yet :)

SQ, SQ, SQ>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
My primary concern was deleting many of the Tidal albums that (happily) migrated onto TAS since many of those were MQA. I want to replace most of those with Qobuz high res. Now I know how to do it and in retrospect I should have been able to figure it out. I'm used to a "delete" button I guess. BTW I realize this is a Beta--it's not my first and I certainly agree SQ first.

Reactions: Taiko Audio
My primary concern was deleting many of the Tidal albums that (happily) migrated onto TAS since many of those were MQA. I want to replace most of those with Qobuz high res. Now I know how to do it and in retrospect I should have been able to figure it out. I'm used to a "delete" button I guess. BTW I realize this is a Beta--it's not my first and I certainly agree SQ first.

It wasn't on our scope, added to the to-do list now!

I want to replace most of those with Qobuz high res.

You can use a program called Soundiiz to convert everything from Tidal to Qobuz no need to do the swap manually. All albums, playlists and so on will be transfered to Qobuz.

Test - TAS with and without the M12 Gold switch
A few folks have tried listening to TAS without their switches. I have been really curious on how this would play out in my system and I finally gave it a try.
Honestly, I wasn't sure what result I was hoping for!

I use the Edgerouter plus the M12 Gold each plugged into their own LPS. When I first added these components, they had a major positive impact on the sound.
For the comparison, I tried the 30-40 foot run of ethernet cat 6e cable, which is run in the wall, directly from the modem into the Extreme.

My comparison focused on stringed instruments and vocals via streaming, for now.
The gap has considerably narrowed. Similar to @Rhapsody I don't think someone listening casually to my system for the first time would have necessarily noticed. I could easily live with the straight ethernet connection. But, to my ears, I still prefer the sound with the networking components added in the chain. There is still a bit more added weight to the plucking of the guitar and suspension in the air. Also, the rosin of the cello just sounds so intoxicating and perfect with the switch. Just a tad less friction without.

I will continue to compare as TAS evolves and I sure do have the hunch my m12 will be looking for a new home eventually. This is really an amazing development imho

Last edited:
You can use a program called Soundiiz to convert everything from Tidal to Qobuz no need to do the swap manually. All albums, playlists and so on will be transfered to Qobuz.

How does Soundiiz choose the resolution? Both the highest? When converting Tidal MQA would it automatically go to the highest res Qobuz?

Roon appears to redo the audio analysis, this can take a very long time during which you will notice a decrease in SQ:
It did not do this for me but it might have been that analysis had just done in 1.7 in my case as I had just started fresh on a new server. So maybe depending on when analysis was performed that they may have to run it again. Regardless your advice was spot on.

Announcement on the Taiko Audio USB driver:

We have managed to integrate some of the TAS enhancements into our USB driver which is beneficial when using Roon.

The following DACs/interfaces are now supported, but consider this as still in Beta stage:
-Aries Cerat
-Aqua Formula xHD V2.0
-Bricasti MDxx
-DCS Vivaldi
-DCS Vivaldi Up-sampler
-DCS Vivaldi One
-Ideon Absolute
-Lampizator (with jlsounds interface)
-LH Davinci MKII
-MSB Pro USB
-Pilium Elektra
-Thrax Maximinus
-Totaldac
-Trinity Reference
-Vitus
-"Ypsilon 1000" (there appear to be different revisions)
Hello Emile. I receive next week my Taiko with APL DSD- SR MK3 DAC. When can I expect the TAS Installation.
Regards Martin

Hello Emile. I receive next week my Taiko with APL DSD- SR MK3 DAC. When can I expect the TAS Installation.
Regards Martin

link is in post #5696

pick a convenient time and date when you're comfortable that you'll have you unit set up with DAC and internet.
you also have a choice of installer. you can't go wrong with any of them.

Last edited:
I am frustrated by Qobuz in TAS, as in it just isn't working for me. I had TAS loaded two weeks ago (still thrilled with the upgrade in SQ!), and in preparation I set up a Qobuz account. Emile loaded TAS, we got Qobuz set up and working, initially. Then it stopped for a day, which was puzzling, but I had all my stored music to explore, and the glory of TAS to hear, so... Then it worked on the next day. Hasn't worked since. Very weird that it was intermittent for a brief bit.

Here's what I'm seeing: in the TAS view, I can click into Qobuz and search through selections and see everything. But when I try to append a selection to my queue, nada. TAS gives me the message "appended to queue", but it does not show up there. OK. So, instead I just select "Play Now" from the album's action window, but nothing plays. However, the album is now showing in my queue, and I can navigate between selections - - just none of them play!

My first thought was that my Qobuz credentials might be screwed up somehow, but then I would not expect to be able to browse albums, nor should they end up in the queue when I select "Play Now", right? Investigating the credentials in the background of TAS, I see that my password is represented by four "dots", which doesn't make sense, as it is over 10 characters long. So, I re-enter my password. Four dots show again after I've hit "Save Settings". I'm guessing this is just how TAS shows this field by default?

I don't know. I sure would like to have a streaming option that works in TAS, because I got addicted to Tidal in Roon, but so far I have had almost nothing but frustration. And I really want to listen to that novelty track that I don't own... Any suggestions? Thanks!

I am frustrated by Qobuz in TAS, as in it just isn't working for me. I had TAS loaded two weeks ago (still thrilled with the upgrade in SQ!), and in preparation I set up a Qobuz account. Emile loaded TAS, we got Qobuz set up and working, initially. Then it stopped for a day, which was puzzling, but I had all my stored music to explore, and the glory of TAS to hear, so... Then it worked on the next day. Hasn't worked since. Very weird that it was intermittent for a brief bit.

Here's what I'm seeing: in the TAS view, I can click into Qobuz and search through selections and see everything. But when I try to append a selection to my queue, nada. TAS gives me the message "appended to queue", but it does not show up there. OK. So, instead I just select "Play Now" from the album's action window, but nothing plays. However, the album is now showing in my queue, and I can navigate between selections - - just none of them play!

My first thought was that my Qobuz credentials might be screwed up somehow, but then I would not expect to be able to browse albums, nor should they end up in the queue when I select "Play Now", right? Investigating the credentials in the background of TAS, I see that my password is represented by four "dots", which doesn't make sense, as it is over 10 characters long. So, I re-enter my password. Four dots show again after I've hit "Save Settings". I'm guessing this is just how TAS shows this field by default?

I don't know. I sure would like to have a streaming option that works in TAS, because I got addicted to Tidal in Roon, but so far I have had almost nothing but frustration. And I really want to listen to that novelty track that I don't own... Any suggestions? Thanks!
Yes, talk to Ed, Emile or team. You have something going on with your specific system.

Just a thought, have you checked the settings in Qobuz either via web or app. Make sure it’s set to stream 24/192.
134C94AE-C228-4F90-8ECD-039F1BFA3D3A.png

Yes, talk to Ed, Emile or team. You have something going on with your specific system.

Shoot me a PM, or WhatsApp to +33603311338, email to eurodriversoundtest@gmail.com and we can set up a convenient time for me or another one of us to take a look

Reactions: Rhapsody
Count me among the recent Extreme users (w a Lampi GG2 + JL USB board) who have upgraded to TAS beta. Emile’s instillation was a thrill to watch from my TeamViewer shared screen as it’s like watching an Avenger character moving faster than a speeding bullet. I have spent the better part of two days comparing Roon to TAS and agree with what everyone has already posted. The SQ of TAS is clearly superior but…and for me it’s a big “but”.

First, I found that the surprising area in which the SQ of TAS is superior is the bass. I don’t know if this is a common observation, nor do I know why it’s the case, but it’s quite noticeable and significant, at least in my rig. A second observation that I found unexpected is that due to the increased clarity across the board vs. Roon I found that I was enjoying much of what I played at a lower level than before. Perhaps it’s a common audiophile tendency to push one’s system to warp 9 in order to become more emotionally involved or “immersed” in the sound field. I’m guessing this is often done without much forethought. (If “x” on the volume control is good, the “x+1” must be better!). But TAS diminished that need, at least for me. Anyone else notice this?

However, now that SQ is out of the way, let me say why I won’t be using TAS as my primary listening tool. I think the reasons are obvious. As has already been mentioned, TAS is a product in evolution. Anybody who owns an Extreme and who has interacted with anyone from Taiko knows that their commitment to sonic excellence will continue to drive constant improvement in TAS. That’s a given. But working with a product that doesn’t allow intraplay scrolling or pause, and which relies on a user interface that at best can be described as clunky, is simply a non-starter for me most of the time. While Roon’s SQ is perhaps 80-90% (?-you pick a number !) as good as TAS’s, its user interface is a masterpiece of intuitiveness and simplicity. As we all know, TAS is not there yet although we hope it will be eventually. I have said before, Roon has changed the way I listen to music. Unfortunately, TAS does the same, but not in a good way. Navigation alone is the huge caveat in TAS, and the fact that I often rely on 20 years of playlists that I can’t access is a big part of that. As far as the user interface, well, it was obviously written by “PC guys” and has the look and clunky feel of that universe. The PC MS/Unix world is often the preferred programming environment of engineers for a reason, and that is exactly what we have here. Mac slick it is not, but functional and capable it surely is in spades (especially for its programmers), so if SQ is your holy grail, knock yourself out. (Then again, if SQ is truly your holy grail, why aren’t you using your TT more? :rolleyes::cool:)

During the install, Emile mentioned that he did something recently that raised the SQ bar on Roon (I don’t know if that has to do with the Extreme and its drivers, or TAS, or both) but apparently the differential in SQ between Roon and TAS just recently decreased incrementally. Roon may not be as good as TAS from a SQ perspective, but whatever percent it is, it’s now higher than it used to be. And for that reason, I find that Roon serves its purpose just fine for my needs as it sounds pretty darned good. For “critical’ listening (whatever the heck that means), I’ll certainly use TAS since once you hear it, it’s hard to unhear it. But for musical exploration, which takes up a good deal of my time and effort, you won’t be able to pull me away from Roon… for now. I’m sure I’m not alone in hoping that I will be able to enjoy the SQ benefits of TAS full time once the program is successfully further developed to allow access to the features I now enjoy so much in Roon.

Last edited:
I've been using Tidal every day for two weeks with no issues.

Hi Steve,

Tidal is fully functioning in TAS for me. As a long time user of Tidal, I had issues with Qobuz probably having more to do with my unfamiliarity with Qobuz. So I followed the instructions in the TAS manual for integrating Tidal and it worked like a charm the first time out of the gate.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing