Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

...mark your calendars: Daughter-board Rolling has arrived! You gotta love this thread!
I have to ask the question therefore.......are these daughterboards plugnplay? I ask because the daughter board I had in my system years ago was hard wired to the motherboard. IOWis it as easy as a simple remove one daughter board and plug in the other without wiring being needed

I have to ask the question therefore.......are these daughterboards plugnplay? I ask because the daughter board I had in my system years ago was hard wired to the motherboard. IOWis it as easy as a simple remove one daughter board and plug in the other without wiring being needed

Yes!

Can we retain the Taiko USB board as well as having TACD and switch output between two different DAC’s?

Reactions: CKKeung
Can we retain the Taiko USB board as well as having TACD and switch output between two different DAC’s?
I thought Christiaan and Emile said the USB board is replaced by the new one and USB goes away

For my understanding is it correct to infer that in order for the new interface to function the DAC must also have the same interface and so far there are 4 manufacturers who seem interested. So is there a benefit to use the new card and remove the USB card if I am keeping my DAC (which I love) which lacks the new interface. I can see there are logistics to this as well

I thought Christiaan and Emile said the USB board is replaced by the new one and USB goes away

He said the opposite "USB will not be added, and as such, the TACD cards will not substitute the Taiko Enhanced USB card."

For my understanding is it correct to infer that in order for the new interface to function the DAC must also have the same interface and so far there are 4 manufacturers who seem interested. So is there a benefit to use the new card and remove the USB card if I am keeping my DAC (which I love) which lacks the new interface. I can see there are logistics to this as well
Understood, it is the logistics that concern me...I keep wondering (and this is way out of my scope) if Lampizator can have an external modular piece to complete the interface...

Understood, it is the logistics that concern me...I keep wondering (and this is way out of my scope) if Lampizator can have an external modular piece to complete the interface...

That would probably defeat the purpose since an external module would need to interface with the Lampi via USB, AES or S/PDIF which would keep another interface in play.

Reactions: iain and nonesup
That would probably defeat the purpose since an external module would need to interface with the Lampi via USB, AES or S/PDIF which would keep another interface in play.
I thought that might be the case, Thank You...

He said the opposite "USB will not be added, and as such, the TACD cards will not substitute the Taiko Enhanced USB card."
Yes. USB is not used with the new interface card as I understand it and that Taiko would give some sort of buy back when you replace the USB card with the new one

All too confusing for me.

Reactions: DW101
Because Taiko has determined the new interface is superior to USB...

Yes fair enough, but how many USB DACs are there out there? If you jettison the USB output, you have a seriously hamstrung server. That’s ok if you know you, your Extreme and your DAC are set for life and you will never want to use another. I probably will not go DACD route if it means losing the USB output.

Because Taiko has determined the new interface is superior to USB...
I know and never bet against Emile so to come back to the initial question it is my understanding that the new card replaces the USB card BUT Lukasz, MSB, dCS and TotalDac will need to change from XMOS to the new interface.My one concern is that the new interface provides me with the exact same ability to play all the formats that I can now. I can play to 768 and DSD 512 without issues using XDMS

Reactions: John T
Yes fair enough, but how many USB DACs are there out there? If you jettison the USB output, you have a seriously hamstrung server. That’s ok if you know you, your Extreme and your DAC are set for life and you will never want to use another. I probably will not go DACD route if it means losing the USB output.
Good point, I find much of this daunting. Also, as earlier indicated, logistics is a big concern as to how all of this will be implemented...The thought of shipping the Horizon back to Poland does not make me feel comfortable. If it comes to that, I'll sell mine and buy one done with proper implementation done from scratch...

Good point, I find much of this daunting. Also, as earlier indicated, logistics is a big concern as to how all of this will be implemented...The thought of shipping the Horizon back to Poland does not make me feel comfortable. If it comes to that, I'll sell mine and buy one done with proper implementation done from scratch...
My hope is that a local tech could remove XMOS and install the new Taiko interface. When I had my Pacific it was using the outdated interface and all new Lampi DAC's were coming installed with XMOS. I could only use XDMS in a limited fashion and could only avail myself of its full function by switching to XMOS . Fred had a board shipped to me with a schematic as to how it was installed. I found a local technician who swapped it out in under an hour of work. I would hope for the same and have the work done locally.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing