Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Hello, everyone, new extreme owner with usb card, I am looking for a USB cable in order to enjoy as much as possible my new toy. Reading many post, some use FTA Sinope, others Sablon Evo, I heard good things about the vertere pulse. many thanks for your help

Reactions: Taiko Audio
Two questions for Emile or Christian.

If I have understood correctly, the new TACD card is a card that, using the PCI bus, directly accesses the CPU to transmit the bits from this CPU to the output that we have chosen on the daughter card, let's say AES/EBU.

1st As the data is currently transmitted (without TACD card) from the CPU to an AES/EBU output, which would have been requested as an option in the Extreme.

2nd The USB card that was sold as an improvement of the standard USB outputs of the Motherboard, does it already have the Direct PCI technology to the CPU?

The USB card does not have this technology as using USB means it has to go through a PCI to USB conversion process and subsequently through a USB to I2S conversion process. Further to this we have maxed out our software on some USB transfer limits.

...the DAC vs. DAC nomenclature did spawn a confusion bubble, for sure. And don't even go to the TACDA/WACDA/Neil Sedaka card naming puzzle. Hey, when are these switches and DACadoodles shipping anyway, since we're on the subject?

We actually did not want to disclose anything about the upcoming TACDA/TACDD technology before actual release, however the rumour mill proved to be unstoppable so we thought it to be better to at-least provide more accurate information then a mere “Taiko is releasing a DAC” :)

Hello, everyone, new extreme owner with usb card, I am looking for a USB cable in order to enjoy as much as possible my new toy. Reading many post, some use FTA Sinope, others Sablon Evo, I heard good things about the vertere pulse. many thanks for your help
Congratulations, Olivier!

USB cables are very much a personal choice -- ask any five audiophiles and you'll likely get six or more recommendations.

That said, I have been using a Shunyata Research Omega USB cable and have been very happy with its performance (totally reliable) and sound quality.

I suspect there is no one "right" or best answer -- good luck with your USB cable search!

Steve Z

Congratulations, Olivier!

USB cables are very much a personal choice -- ask any five audiophiles and you'll likely get six or more recommendations.

That said, I have been using a Shunyata Research Omega USB cable and have been very happy with its performance (totally reliable) and sound quality.

I suspect there is no one "right" or best answer -- good luck with your USB cable search!

Steve Z

Emile was still using his Intona Ultimate (1.5 m) for a reason
so do I.

Reactions: RobertL and VPN
Also a Shunyata Omega user, no complaints, it delivers the goods...

Looks like there is a growing amount of confusion. The TACD architecture that Taiko has described is both elegant and logical, as it comprises a main PCIe card for the common functions, and a daughter card to accommodate specific interfaces under development. Examples of daughter card interfaces include, but are certainly not limited to:
- ProISL for MSB DACs
- AES/EBU for TotalDAC
- 2x (dual) AES/EBU for dCS DACs
- analog RCA, i.e. the Taiko DAC.

Now, conceptually you can imagine a "USB daughter card" for this TACD family, but Taiko have already ruled this out. The USB interface will continue to be supported by the current USB card.

For people like me, who routinely have multiple DACs around for review at any given moment, my expectation is I can have both the USB card, and the TACDA card (TACD with Taiko DAC) installed in my Extreme. There are certainly enough slots available.

For people like me, who routinely have multiple DACs around for review at any given moment, my expectation is I can have both the USB card, and the TACDA card (TACD with Taiko DAC) installed in my Extreme. There are certainly enough slots available.
I'd certainly favor having the flexibility to install both the USB card and the upcoming TACDA card, and be able to switch between the two in XDMS. Right now, I swap USB cables as need be to connect the Extreme to my main speaker system or my headphone system in another room.

We’d make this is either a “drop in” replacement for the jlsounds USB board or use I2S of which the Horizon has 2 inputs fitted as a factory default.
Truly the Emile "pearl"of the day. That brought a smile to my face as I would say 100% of Lampi owners here would say when asked, that they would not part with their DAC but if an interface can improve the sound then they would be all in as long as (for me) I can still play all formats native.

I know and never bet against Emile so to come back to the initial question it is my understanding that the new card replaces the USB card BUT Lukasz, MSB, dCS and TotalDac will need to change from XMOS to the new interface.My one concern is that the new interface provides me with the exact same ability to play all the formats that I can now. I can play to 768 and DSD 512 without issues using XDMS

I don't believe that is correct. If I understand correctly, the aes/ebu output is thought to be optimal for totaldac at this point in time so nothing is planned for change in the dac. Emile said that most of the benefit is in the hw that pulls data from the cpu and the software and driver and that the new "interface" would maybe give a small benefit (but still tbd). We totaldac folks are ready to rock, no DAC changes needed

Edit:. Well, we do need to upgrade our DAC to the new unity versions:)

Can anyone explain to me what justifies the high price of this solution? I have interest in the product, but cant understand what makes it cost so insanly much. It´s a PC with a nice case and some isolation, what else? Is there even a working and done software? TAS have got some praise but still in beta.

I´m reading up here as well.

Taiko Audio Enhancements to Roon - Audio Gear Talk - Roon Labs Community
Taiko Audio SGM Extreme: WTF? | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum
Anyone got any measurement on Taiko Audio SGM Extreme to publish ? | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

I don't believe that is correct. If I understand correctly, the aes/ebu output is thought to be optimal for totaldac at this point in time so nothing is planned for change in the dac. Emile said that most of the benefit is in the hw that pulls data from the cpu and the software and driver and that the new "interface" would maybe give a small benefit (but still tbd). We totaldac folks are ready to rock, no DAC changes needed
I feel the same about my Horizon but once again I never bet against Emile

Can anyone explain to me what justifies the high price of this solution? I have interest in the product, but cant understand what makes it cost so insanly much. It´s a PC with a nice case and some isolation, what else? Is there even a working and done software? TAS have got some praise but still in beta.

I´m reading up here as well.

Taiko Audio Enhancements to Roon - Audio Gear Talk - Roon Labs Community
Taiko Audio SGM Extreme: WTF? | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum
Anyone got any measurement on Taiko Audio SGM Extreme to publish ? | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum
What you're reading is comical . It's like being thrown to the wolves in the Roon forum and worse still reading ASR FWIW TAS is gone and XDMS is the new kid on the block so I suggest reading this thread from start to finish and I think you'll get a better idea about the Extreme.When you hear it you'll quickly understand why the price. This plus years of R and D has IMHO put Taiko in position to be the world leader in innovation in streaming music. Plus there is no other Manufacturer who IMO has customer service that even comes close to Taiko. Have a listen and a/b it against the others you have heard and it will take you all of the first song for you understand

Truly the Emile "pearl"of the day. That brought a smile to my face as I would say 100% of Lampi owners here would say when asked, that they would not part with their DAC but if an interface can improve the sound then they would be all in as long as (for me) I can still play all formats native.
You're in luck, the fact that the Horizon has I2S inputs makes it possible to implement something like MSB's ProISL and you wouldn't have to change any boards inside the Horizon.

What you're reading is comical . It's like being thrown to the wolves in the Roon forum and worse still reading ASR FWIW TAS is gone and XDMS is the new kid on the block so I suggest reading this thread from start to finish and I think you'll get a better idea about the Extreme.When you hear it you'll quickly understand why the price. This plus years of R and D has IMHO put Taiko in position to be the world leader in innovation in streaming music. Plus there is no other Manufacturer who IMO has customer service that even comes close to Taiko. Have a listen and a/b it against the others you have heard and it will take you all of the first song for you understand

I am going to read and have read; the item have got a fanclub for sure, but why not trying to answer my questions/doubts about the hardware inside the machine. Its still standard PC-gear, that does not justify the price. WHAT excatly in the hardware, that the company have developed themself, makes it worth the money?

Customer service is not worth 30.000USD, I expect great CS from something costing 1000USD too. If one would buy the seperate hardware and build it like this on Win10, what makes the Taiko so very special?

What other solutions have you heard it against? All years of R&D = world leader?

I want to believe but my gutfeeling is telling me that it´s a extremly overpriced computer in a nice box.

I will try and get to listen to it.

I thought Christiaan and Emile said the USB board is replaced by the new one and USB goes away
Isn’t the new interface “NEW” and therE has to be one in our own DAC

I guess where I am at a loss is trying to understand why I would want to replace the Taiko USB card which I love
The new TACD PCIe card and the new interface are considered better solutions than USB. However, they are not replacements for it. There will be no USB daughterboard for the TACD.

The Enhanced USB card as it exists will remain and the choice of DAC (and the presence of a compatible input) will determine which of the solution is a better choice: USB or TACD. If you want, you could also have both, internal slots and space permitting.

Because Taiko has determined the new interface is superior to USB...
Yes, TACD is superior but there is no requirement to replace the USB board unless the user decides so.

...the DAC vs. DAC nomenclature did spawn a confusion bubble, for sure. And don't even go to the TACDA/WACDA/Neil Sedaka card naming puzzle. Hey, when are these switches and DACadoodles shipping anyway, since we're on the subject?
I agree DAC and DAC can be confusing. I contemplated adding "connection type" to the Diagram but decided not to because the document is already crowded and I figured the intended meaning would be clear from the position in the diagram.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing