Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

I was one of the lucky ones that ran into the issue of not being able to install the new network card due to what we now know was a misaligned bracket.

After trying without success, I called my computer tech to come over hoping he’d be able to fix it. Unfortunately, he left after a few hours without success.

I was, to say the least, disappointed; but I knew that sooner or later that the Taiko team would be able to resolve the problem.

So after my tech left that evening, I put the extreme together and connected my original switch (Nordost switch w a nordost LPS) to the old motherboard card so I could at least listen to music in the interim, which was sounding pretty good even before attempting to install the new switch/card.

But just for shits and grins, I decided to also connect the new switch to the new card anyway.

And then I turned on the Extreme and started playing files from the hard drive and DAMN!!! I heard what others have been describing here - the MOST ENGAGING SOUND IVE EVER HEARD BEFORE IN MY ROOM!! It’s an infectious engagement!

And this was not just a small improvement — this was a significant nonlinear increase in engagement!

BUT this sound was with the new switch/card connected but not recognized by the Extreme!?

I can’t begin to understand why, but I don’t care. I’m just enjoying the hell out of it and I can’t imagine how installing the new switch/card with the updated bracket can possibly improve the sound I’m listening to now…but I’ve been wrong before ..many times!

Can’t wait!
Hi Carlos, Sounds like a fun evening! Why not use the new Switch with your old card? It sounds REALLY GOOD until the new bracket comes.

Reactions: steve williams
WOW, this makes me wanna buy the Taikoserver even more. After reading reviews like this.

Sorry if I got this the wrong way, but if I order a Taiko today, will I get the new card per default?

Yes, it’s now fitted by default.

WOW, this makes me wanna buy the Taikoserver even more. After reading reviews like this.

Sorry if I got this the wrong way, but if I order a Taiko today, will I get the new card per default?
It's only a matter of time until you are assimilated into the Taiko Vortex.....resistance is futile:)

Hi Carlos, Sounds like a fun evening! Why not use the new Switch with your old card? It sounds REALLY GOOD until the new bracket comes.
Hi Bob,

Yes in fact I was talking to Edward (aka Guardian Angel) late that evening and that was one of several options discussed.

But if you’re talking about the old motherboard network card, I would need two RJ 45 SFP connectors and I only had one.

If you’re talking about removing the new network card and replacing it with the old SPF card, at the time it wasn’t clear what was wrong with slot 2. Moreover I didn’t have an adapter to the the LPS for the Taiko switch and was using the included walwart.

At that point, it was getting late and I just wanted to hear music until the Taiko team came up with a solution. And I knew the old motherboard network card worked.

Plus I had already assembled the rack/Extreme. The last thing I wanted to do at that point, was disassemble the rack/extreme and reinstall cards when I just wanted my music fix.;)

But the gods smiled upon me and what I heard next was pure bliss!!

Not to worry though, I have an extra RJ45 SPF adapter and the LPS adapter coming on Tuesday. So I’ll reinstall the old SPF card, and try your suggestion with the Taiko switch/LPS as well as with the old motherboard network card. That will be an interesting comparison.

That should hold me over until the Taiko team sends the new brackets which should shipping out next Tuesday.

Hi Bob,

Yes in fact I was talking to Edward (aka Guardian Angel) late that evening and that was one of several options discussed.

But if you’re talking about the old motherboard network card, I would need two RJ 45 SFP connectors and I only had one.

If you’re talking about removing the new network card and replacing it with the old SPF card, at the time it wasn’t clear what was wrong with slot 2. Moreover I didn’t have an adapter to the the LPS for the Taiko switch and was using the included walwart.

At that point, it was getting late and I just wanted to hear music until the Taiko team came up with a solution. And I knew the old motherboard network card worked.

Plus I had already assembled the rack/Extreme. The last thing I wanted to do at that point, was disassemble the rack/extreme and reinstall cards when I just wanted my music fix.;)

But the gods smiled upon me and what I heard next was pure bliss!!

Not to worry though, I have an extra RJ45 SPF adapter and the LPS adapter coming on Tuesday. So I’ll reinstall the old SPF card, and try your suggestion with the Taiko switch/LPS as well as with the old motherboard network card. That will be an interesting comparison.

That should hold me over until the Taiko team sends the new brackets which should shipping out next Tuesday.
Hi Carlos,

You do NOT need RJ45 adapters.

If you reinstall the old card into Slot 2, you just pull out the fiber connector portion from the cage, it slides right out. Then you just plug in the dac cable connector into the cage.

You connect from your router to the RJ45 port on the Router.

You have to change your IP address when you do this to log into the Extreme. One way to find the new IP address is to use Fing and see all of the devices on your network, which also gives you each devices IP address.

You get a whole lot of the Switch sound with this method and it's rock solid until the new brackets arrive.

Reactions: steve williams
Hi Carlos,

You do NOT need RJ45 adapters.

If you reinstall the old card into Slot 2, you just pull out the fiber connector portion from the cage, it slides right out. Then you just plug in the dac cable connector into the cage.

You connect from your router to the RJ45 port on the Router.

You have to change your IP address when you do this to log into the Extreme. One way to find the new IP address is to use Fing and see all of the devices on your network, which also gives you each devices IP address.

You get a whole lot of the Switch sound with this method and it's rock solid until the new brackets arrive.
Thanks Bob! Now that I have my energy back, I’ll try that later today!!

Reactions: Rhapsody

You can add another element of utmost importance :

The after sales service, the reactivity, the listening to the customer is frankly out of the ordinary.

Few companies, even among the big names in high-end audio, offer this quality of service.

Taiko Audio does not only offer high quality products.

When you buy a product, you also buy a service of great quality.

I have experienced this twice.

Hi Niklas,

It’s that good! And it’s going to get even better.

I’m confident that Taiko’s relentless pursuit of lowering the noise floor will continue and yield even more sonic bliss.

I’ve been in this hobby for a while, and I’ve never heard this level of realism/engagement from a stereo system ever before. It’s not a step forward, it’s a leap forward!

And as others have mentioned, the level of service is unprecedented. For any industry!

Thanks Bob! Now that I have my energy back, I’ll try that later today!!
you won't regret it. Today is day 3 since the new card and I find with each day the sound gets slightly more refined.What Bob suggested gets you part way there but still a huge uptick

Reactions: DW101 and cmarin
you won't regret it. Today is day 3 since the new card and I find with each day the sound gets slightly more refined.What Bob suggested gets you part way there but still a huge uptick
I listened for two days with the Switch and the new card. I only do streaming. Since I put in the old card with the switch, I have not felt like I am missing anything. In my system with my ears I think I am getting at least 85% of the sonics with the old card/switch vs the new card/switch. I actually don't think about it now and really could care less when I get the new bracket. I'm just enjoying top flight music with every album that I listen to.

Steve, have you listened to the old card with the switch with streaming? If you have not, (lucky you) then I think that you would be surprised how good the switch and the old card sounds.

I listened for two days with the Switch and the new card. I only do streaming. Since I put in the old card with the switch, I have not felt like I am missing anything. In my system with my ears I think I am getting at least 85% of the sonics with the old card/switch vs the new card/switch. I actually don't think about it now and really could care less when I get the new bracket. I'm just enjoying top flight music with every album that I listen to.

Steve, have you listened to the old card with the switch with streaming? If you have not, (lucky you) then I think that you would be surprised how good the switch and the old card sounds.
Well I'm pretty damn excited because in my system the M12/Optimo LPS with the old card sounds really good. I will be astounded if it does what all of you have indicated...Can't wait!

I haven't. I was so taken by what I heard that I have only been streaming and still have not listened to my files. Today is the day

Having the opportunity to open the Extreme to install the Network cards reminded me how impressive the internals are — truly a work of industrial art!
I understand why the case is designed the way it is, but a clear cover (similar to DarTZeel‘s amps) would look so great!

Attachments

• 0D03A4E8-E9F4-4F3C-8209-FFE7F229978D.jpeg
    0D03A4E8-E9F4-4F3C-8209-FFE7F229978D.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 26
I don’t use an inverter. It’s plugged into a Shunyata Denali v2 and before that a PS Audio P20. So you don’t hear anything when putting your ear within ~12” of the chassis?
Hello same happen to me today, first time I heard it, I open the window in order to check if it was not coming from outside at the beginning. Really ware it happen to you at same time!!!!!! I have 2 conditioners, the Taiko was plug on a Niagara 5000 non filtered plug because I have more dynamic than on a filtered one. I change to a Tsakiridis conditioner, it was little bit less noisy but still alternative hum. Then I plug the Taiko on a filtered plug and hum stop!!!!!

Hello same happen to me today, first time I heard it, I open the window in order to check if it was not coming from outside at the beginning. Really ware it happen to you at same time!!!!!! I have 2 conditioners, the Taiko was plug on a Niagara 5000 non filtered plug because I have more dynamic than on a filtered one. I change to a Tsakiridis conditioner, it was little bit less noisy but still alternative hum. Then I plug the Taiko on a filtered plug and hum stop!!!!!
What kind of filtered plug exactly did you plug it into?
In my case it’s very quiet - the only way I hear the buzzing is with my ear a few inches away from the chassis. And the room has to be silent with no other noise.
I think all transformers inherently make *some* noise.
I plan to check the bolts that secure the transformer in its Panzerholz holder, assuming Taiko OKs that; it’s likely that some bolts loosened in transit, which could be allowing the transformer to vibrate a bit.

If the noise is caused by DC offset on the AC line, then you want a conditioner with a common mode filter (ie the Everest?). Also check for microwaves, switch mode power supplies, LED dimmers(?) that are on, especially on the same circuit.

What kind of filtered plug exactly did you plug it into?
In my case it’s very quiet - the only way I hear the buzzing is with my ear a few inches away from the chassis. And the room has to be silent with no other noises.
I think all transformers make *some* noise.
I plan to check the bolts that secure the transformer in its Panzerholz holder, assuming Taiko OKs that; it’s likely that some bolts loosened in transit.

No the bolts are fine. Usually audibility of transformer hum is reduced by placement of a rubber mat between transformer and chassis, which we felt reduces the livelyness of the resulting sound, so we went with panzerholz. This is a pretty effective solution for reducing transformer vibration coupling to the chassis, but it is less effective at reducing the audibility of transformer hum itself. How much a transformer hums depends on the presence of DC but more often the cause is higher order line harmonics, solar inverters for example are very good at making large power transformers hum audibly.

No the bolts are fine. Usually audibility of transformer hum is reduced by placement of a rubber mat between transformer and chassis, which we felt reduces the livelyness of the resulting sound, so we went with panzerholz. This is a pretty effective solution for reducing transformer vibration coupling to the chassis, but it is less effective at reducing the audibility of transformer hum itself. How much a transformer hums depends on the presence of DC but more often the cause is higher order line harmonics, solar inverters for example are very good at making large power transformers hum audibly.

How can we fight with harmonics and not to kill the livelyness of the resulting sound ?
Are harminics as destructive to the SQ as bad power cords for example ?
I listen only after dark as there are solar systems on every buliding around .

@ Zeotrope
I was thinking for DC on mains you need a DC blocker. Everest has no DC blocker as far as I remember. Gigawatt Evo 4 has, Puritan has.

Reactions: Zeotrope
How can we fight with harmonics and not to kill the livelyness of the resulting sound ?
Are harminics as destructive to the SQ as bad power cords for example ?
I listen only after dark as there are solar systems on every buliding around .

@ Zeotrope
I was thinking for DC on mains you need a DC blocker. Everest has no DC blocker as far as I remember. Gigawatt Evo 4 has, Puritan has.

It's more likely caused by harmonics then by DC. An isolation transformer works well, but usually that will then hum in stead of the transformers connected to it. But if it's mounted in your power distribution box that's not a big deal. Ideally you'd size it at around 1200VA. A Plixir Elite BAC 1000 has been used to address this with positive feedback for example though I'd personally would pick the 1500 suffering from a "bigger is better" thought pattern :) Or just ignore as the hum itself does not actually impact SQ.

This morning I had several e-mail notifications from Taiko that my replacement bracket has shipped.

Outstanding service as many others have noted.

Though I'm one of the lucky ones -- my original bracket was indeed misaligned but ever since I took out the retaining screw and reseated the new network card, it has been playing flawlessly. However it will be nice to replace the bracket and securely fasten the retaining screw.

Steve Z

Reactions: DW101 and Zeotrope
As stated, @Taiko Audio comes through with transparent and expedient customer service! I had to bend my bracket slightly but my Extreme with network card and switch is playing fine. Might seem like a dumb question, but as music is playing without interruption does that means the card is making excellent contact and performing to capacity or could it still play with a less than perfect connection which might mean less than maximum sonic performance?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu