Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

It looks like it will end up slightly below the switch/networkcard combo package price at around 6K.
has it been determined whether router to switch connection is best by DAC or by RJ45. Also I assume it can be purchased in the chrome to match the switch

I see; I wasn't aware that the old network card can accept both DAC and RJ45 without an adapter...
Don't forget to change the IP address when you log in with XDMS. you can find the new IP address in FING.

I spent all day in my room listening yesterday and there is no doubt that it does sound better than day1. I marvel at the nonexistent noise floor and all of the increase detail heard from top to bottom. The deep bass is something I have never heard as good and was perfectly described by dminches. Mid range is gorgeous and the top end also reveals sounds and words previously muffled or even obscured . The fact that there is no coloration creates this organic feel to the music that truly the musicians are in my room and I feel I can touch them. Everything sounds amazing regardless of the format of the file

You first remove the fiber input connector that is in the SFP. Just pull It out. It comes out easily Then you insert the DAC cable that already has the connector on it.
I may have lost the original RJ45 input connector that was in the original network card. I will look for it; but I don't need it anyway...

I may have lost the original RJ45 input connector that was in the original network card. I will look for it; but I don't need it anyway...
Yes, you don't use the RJ45 connector, you connect the DAC cable connector....slide it right in.

I must add that yesterday I was streaming only and have yet to listen to my own files as streaming is so darn real. I also have yet to switch to Roon. I just have no desire even though the word is that it too is vastly improved. Frankly I admit it.....I am an XDMS zealot. In the early stages of the XDMS platform development we all felt that Roon was far more seductive and visually appealing and overall easy to use. Well here we are almost finished the alpha phase of development and IMO the platform for XDMS to my eyes is far more appealing and definitely far more seductive than Roon. Roon might have also thrived with the addition of the new card and switch but TBH I just don't have the urge to even switch to Roon.

For me this was a true experiment as I was one of the few outliers who never used a switch in my system and said I wouldn't until and unless one was developed by Emile because for my ears all switches I have heard have added coloration which I hate. Emily commented in his recent Masters and Makers Interview that he always designs with neutral non colored effect. IMO Taiko has hit another bases loaded home run

Now for me the router is a no brainer.

has it been determined whether router to switch connection is best by DAC or by RJ45. Also I assume it can be purchased in the chrome to match the switch

The jury is still out on that but most likely DAC.

Yes same finish as the switch, it looks identical apart from the connector section, attached a few photos of the prototype.

BB76E8EA-6E2D-4296-BFF8-3BA73221E364.jpeg
0C0C4077-61ED-4B02-B95C-557C38FDC1FE.jpeg
3D67CDD0-7FDD-4675-9917-29158CE5E603.jpeg

Here's another potential workaround, until the new brackets arrive, at least for local files.

When connected, fill the queue with enough music to cover your expected listening session. Start play at top of the queue, and xdms should continue to play, even after the network card issue kicks in.

This won't be useful for streaming or for changing your mind too often with regard to what you wanted to hear next.
But it's only a temporary issue and we know the real solution will be available this week.

This isn't for everyone but I removed the bracket and connectivity has been solid for over 2 days. I positioned the DAC cable against the wall behind the Extreme and used some blue tape so nothing can move.

... @dminches this was my exact plan after I grab a slice from Peels on Wheels to fill the tank. If you don't move it, no prob. Will also allow me to see if any other issues in the new chain without waiting a week.

And, emphasizing David's comment: not for everyone!

...I designed my first basic circuits and etched my own copper-clad PCBs in 1974. I'm comfortable...but not everyone is. No shame in waiting, that's for sure!

Reactions: DW101
...I designed my first basic circuits and etched my own copper-clad PCBs in 1974. I'm comfortable...but not everyone is. No shame in waiting, that's for sure!
All I can say is the old board with the switch sounds as amazing to me as with the new card. So for those not sure or having any type of disconnect issues, do yourself a favor and install the old card with the switch and enjoy music with zero frustration. I've already forgot about the card issue now until the new bracket arrives. Just enjoying the music and it's REALLY close as with the new card. I don't know if I would be able to tell a difference actually.

The jury is still out on that but most likely DAC.

Yes same finish as the switch, it looks identical apart from the connector section, attached a few photos of the prototype.

View attachment 105878
View attachment 105879
View attachment 105880
Emile, do you think the Router could benefit other devices, like an Apple TV? I have the heavily modded Apple TV X (which is Highly recommended!) - in theory reduced network noise should improve the AV quality.
Or would connecting more than just the Taiko Switch be ill-advised?

There is a low volume buz/hum from my Extreme when I place my ear close to the chassis. I assume that‘s the power transformer and it’s normal? I can’t hear it from the listening position…

There is a low volume buz/hum from my Extreme when I place my ear close to the chassis. I assume that‘s the power transformer and it’s normal? I can’t hear it from the listening position…

Depends on your mains harmonics and/or DC content. 400Hz inverters cause transformer hum for sure.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu