Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

The thing is that my card felt secure and firmly in the holder… so I’m not sure what to fix.
Now, the instructions say to lift the black toggle clip back up when the new card is in [which I now know is wrong] — perhaps while trying to do that I raised the card a bit? But it worked for a few hours, so that can’t be it.
I don’t understand why it‘s intermittent - either the card is connected or it’s not. Or is it due to heat - as the internal temp increases, the card bends or moves If not properly secured?

I left my Extreme playing overnight just to warm things up and, having another listen this morning, I have to say that this switch is a beautiful thing. Not in how it looks but in how it sounds. I am not one for gushing ‘night and day’ overstatement, but the one word that keeps coming into my mind is ‘Pure’. What I’m hearing now is just quite simply pure music. Of course, many audiophile terms spring to mind because everything has improved, but this is the first time that I have heard compete purity and it is quite incredible. It is impossible not to be emotionally moved by the sound. Joyous is another word that applies here.

Well done Emile and Co and thank you. Of course, I do not yet have XDMS and cannot even contemplate any further improvement but I’m happy to quit right now with what I have. And that is what I have always been striving for.

Last edited:
...having just finished dog and coffee proceedings, I pulled the top off the Extreme. Without digging into the port info, I am 99.9999% pure/sure this is a mechanical issue, per Emile's comment above.

The card set correctly upon install, but after inserting the SFP...with the SFP in place...the new card will wiggle in the socket. Perhaps the pressure on the board from the SFP has moved the lower portion of the card as far as possible toward slot #3?

I think Emile's comment is accurate (not the first time!!) that this is the behavior expected if you have fitment issues with your copper retaining plate.

Upon closer inspection, it may well be the case that you cannot actually bend or twist the bracket in a way that overcomes the alignment issue. I was able to fit my card without issue...that is...without a cursory visual issue. Per Emile, probably best to wait for your adapter than risk other issues that might yield more expensive results.

Attachments

• 8455CBF6-3465-4D06-87B9-E6B2E71C9905.jpeg
    8455CBF6-3465-4D06-87B9-E6B2E71C9905.jpeg
    315.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 1B1E674D-E3DC-4044-B466-69F96669C180.jpeg
    1B1E674D-E3DC-4044-B466-69F96669C180.jpeg
    394.6 KB · Views: 40
...having just finished dog and coffee proceedings, I pulled the top off the Extreme. Without digging into the port info, I am 99.9999% pure/sure this is a mechanical issue, per Emile's comment above.

The card set correctly upon install, but after inserting the SFP...with the SFP in place...the new card will wiggle in the socket. Perhaps the pressure on the board from the SFP has moved the lower portion of the card as far as possible toward slot #3?

I think Emile's comment is accurate (not the first time!!) that this is the behavior expected if you have fitment issues with your copper retaining plate.

Upon closer inspection, it may well be the case that you cannot actually bend or twist the bracket in a way that overcomes the alignment issue. I was able to fit my card without issue...that is...without a cursory visual issue. Per Emile, probably best to wait for your adapter than risk other issues that might yield more expensive results.
Wise words spoken!

Update:

1) We have delivered the necessary copper material to our lasercut company who will cut new brackets over the weekend to be delivered to us on Monday.
2) We will bend/thread/brush/paint them same day and pack/ship on Tuesday.
3) We will also replace all brackets on the cards still here and ship the remaining presale orders on Wednesday/Thursday.

Other news:

1) We have received confirmation that both the matte black and silver finish switch samples will be delivered next week.
2) We will also receive the first 30 production Router PCBs next week with 70 more following 3 weeks later. We will finish machining of the next batch of switch cases end of next week after which we will start machining Router cases. These could start shipping end of April/Start of May.

...thanks for stomping on this issue, Emile. It really does look like a multi-axis machining/bending issue in my application. Not easy to casually bend in one axis to solve the overall fitment issue. Isn't manufacturing fun?! Good Luck...

Reactions: Taiko Audio

We have reliably reproduced the issue here. We have also adjusted a batch of brackets to allow for more “margin of error” with card placements the drawings of which have been supplied to the lasercut company. We have tested these with 10 cards and inserted them at slightly varying angles with 100% stable results:

E904C976-7EE7-47E2-8BBB-D12FEB129FD5.jpeg

We have reliably reproduced the issue here. We have also adjusted a batch of brackets to allow for more “margin of error” with card placements the drawings of which have been supplied to the lasercut company. We have tested these with 10 cards and inserted them at slightly varying angles with 100% stable results:

View attachment 105865
This has been a great overall response to the situation, Emile.

Update:

1) We have delivered the necessary copper material to our lasercut company who will cut new brackets over the weekend to be delivered to us on Monday.
2) We will bend/thread/brush/paint them same day and pack/ship on Tuesday.
3) We will also replace all brackets on the cards still here and ship the remaining presale orders on Wednesday/Thursday.

Other news:

1) We have received confirmation that both the matte black and silver finish switch samples will be delivered next week.
2) We will also receive the first 30 production Router PCBs next week with 70 more following 3 weeks later. We will finish machining of the next batch of switch cases end of next week after which we will start machining Router cases. These could start shipping end of April/Start of May.
@Taiko Audio any update on price for the router?

While waiting for the new brackets to ship we suggest to use the old SFP card. This will still give you a large part of the performance improvement.

View attachment 105867
View attachment 105869
Replace the new NIC card with the old card that you took out of slot 2.

Remove the Fiber input to the cage. Then insert the DAC cable from the switch into the old card port.

You have to change the IP address when you log into the Extreme in XDMS.

It definitely gives "the switch sound".

This doesn't really make sense - at least not to my (mildly) mechanical brain. If the card is working, that's obviously with the DAC cable inserted. A mechanical issue, unless there is something dynamic (i.e., movement) occurring would not explain:
- network connection can be stable for hours
- Extreme power cycle re-establishes the connection (at least temporarily)

If the bracket is bent which causes the card to be misaligned, it would never work.

This doesn't really make sense - at least not to my (mildly) mechanical brain. If the card is working, that's obviously with the DAC cable inserted. A mechanical issue, unless there is something dynamic (i.e., movement) occurring would not explain:

If the bracket is bent which causes the card to be misaligned, it would never work.
Highly suggest to use the old card with the switch until the new bracket it received. You get the switch sound and ZERO frustration.

The error count causes Windows to disable the card.

Replace the new NIC card with the old card that you took out of slot 2.

Remove the Fiber input to the cage. Then insert the DAC cable from the switch into the old card port.

You have to change the IP address when you log into the Extreme in XDMS.

It definitely gives "the switch sound".
Huh? How would you do this without 2 RJ45 adapters?

You insert the DAC cable from the Switch into the old SFP network card

You first remove the fiber input connector that is in the SFP. Just pull It out. It comes out easily Then you insert the DAC cable that already has the connector on it.

Reactions: Zeotrope

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu