Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Thank you very much.

@nenon thanks for posting. I will try that tomorrow. I never could get connected via switch. Connections are quadruple checked, all looks physically OK, but VNC Extreme is not connected. LAN1,2 with red X. I am burned out for tonight.

@oldmustang your cable swap is also a good tip. Start fresh tomorrow...

Thank you!
I only see 2:
I guess the Network card is dead? I will open the Extreme again tomorrow but there is no way it was not inserted correctly or was bent.
Yes, Windows does not see the card, so you can focus on the card.
Power off the Extreme from the rear button and see if it comes back. Most likely it will. If it doesn't come back, then you will have to remove it and install it again. Also, check the power to the card is connected properly (it should be because it worked).

@nenon thanks for posting. I will try that tomorrow. I never could get connected via switch. Connections are quadruple checked, all looks physically OK, but VNC Extreme is not connected. LAN1,2 with red X. I am burned out for tonight.
Feel free to give me a call. Happy to help.

Reactions: Zeotrope
Now that I connected the RJ45 directly to one of the network ports on the Extreme, I immediately saw the IP address on my router. Good sign.
However, I can’t connect with XDMS, even when entering the correct IP.
Not sure if this is related to the new Network card; probably not, as I was not seeing an IP address on my router. (For a few hours I was, all was perfect…)

Reactions: Di-fi
Now that I connected the RJ45 directly to one of the network ports on the Extreme, I immediately saw the IP address on my router. Good sign.
However, I can’t connect with XDMS, even when entering the correct IP.
Not sure if this is related to the new Network card; probably not, as I was not seeing an IP address on my router. (For a few hours I was, all was perfect…)
Time to restart the Extreme :)

Yes, Windows does not see the card, so you can focus on the card.
Power off the Extreme from the rear button and see if it comes back. Most likely it will. If it doesn't come back, then you will have to remove it and install it again. Also, check the power to the card is connected properly (it should be because it worked).

Feel free to give me a call. Happy to help.
Interesting- I shut it down with the rear switch and waited a minute or two and now I did get an IP with the new Network card!
But… I can’t connect with XDMS (build 37). Not sure why as this worked when I first installed the card.

Reactions: Husk
As I was trying to connect via VNC, the connection dropped again. So it must be the Network card.
I'll wait for @Taiko Audio to provide any advice to ensure it's seated properly. I'm sure it was, but I haven't inserted many PCI cards into motherboards lately, or ever -- although I do have some electronics experience. I was aware that some cards are bent or not making a good connection so I really took my time to verify that mine went in correctly and securely...

Reactions: oldmustang
Interesting- I shut it down with the rear switch and waited a minute or two and now I did get an IP with the new Network card!
But… I can’t connect with XDMS (build 37). Not sure why as this worked when I first installed the card.
That confirms you need the new bracket for the NIC.

As I was trying to connect via VNC, the connection dropped again. So it must be the Network card.
That too.

Your options are:
1. Remove the bracket of the NIC but be very careful as the NIC will not be secure and wait until you get the new bracket; or
2. Go back to the motherboard NIC and wait for the new bracket.

That confirms you need the new bracket for the NIC.

That too.

Your options are:
1. Remove the bracket of the NIC but be very careful as the NIC will not be secure and wait until you get the new bracket; or
2. Go back to the motherboard NIC and wait for the new bracket.
I guess so… but it didn’t look bent at all. I don’t understand why it worked for ~3 hours and now won’t stay connected for more than a few minutes. Is it heat that’s causing it to bend?

I guess so… but it didn’t look bent at all. I don’t understand why it worked for ~3 hours and now won’t stay connected for more than a few minutes. Is it heat that’s causing it to bend?
You are not doing anything wrong. It may look like it fits right but even a little tilt left/right or front/back is enough for the card to malfunction.
That's the exact behavior... It could be 5 minutes. It could be 12 hours. You can mess around trying to bend the bracket if you like or just wait for the new bracket. If you remove the bracket completely, it will work just fine but you have to be very careful and make sure that the DAC cable does not pull the card by accident.

Reactions: steve williams
You are not doing anything wrong. It may look like it fits right but even a little tilt left/right or front/back is enough for the card to malfunction.
That's the exact behavior... It could be 5 minutes. It could be 12 hours. You can mess around trying to bend the bracket if you like or just wait for the new bracket. If you remove the bracket completely, it will work just fine but you have to be very careful and make sure that the DAC cable does not pull the card by accident.
I see… interesting. Can’t understand what is causing this as I would think a bent bracket either works or does not work.
I hope this is the root cause and the new brackets will solve this issue!
(I think I’ll just wait for the new bracket…)
Thank you Everyone who helped me @theaudiogeek @oldmustang @Nils @nenon and others, I appreciate it!

I see… interesting. Can’t understand what is causing this as I would think a bent bracket either works or does not work.
I hope this is the root cause and the new brackets will solve this issue!
(I think I’ll just wait for the new bracket…)
Thank you Everyone who helped me @theaudiogeek @oldmustang @Nils @nenon and others, I appreciate it!
Waiting for the new bracket is going to be couple of days. In case if you wanted to try the bracket adjustment, you can remove the bracket from the card that is secured with the pan head screws and twist the copper bracket. Here is what I did and do not have the disconnect issue. Its been playing for the past 24+ hours. What you are seeing is the back side of the card with one of the pan head screw. The arrow at the top is where I twisted in that direction.
1678416866134.png

May I ask: How difficult was it to insert the SFP/DAC cable device after you installed the card? It was "extremely" tight in mine.

I plan to check the card from scratch tomorrow, when I feel more tranquilo. I wonder if inserting the SFP has moved the card from its correct position. It looked good, but now I wonder, since the machine does not find the LAN ports connected.

Also, instead of completely removing the copper back plate on the card, @Zeotrope I wonder if just unscrewing the top screw might allow enough slack, but be a bit "safer" than a completely floating card. I may be trying that myself tomorrow.

May I ask: How difficult was it to insert the SFP/DAC cable device after you installed the card? It was "extremely" tight in mine.

I plan to check the card from scratch tomorrow, when I feel more tranquilo. I wonder if inserting the SFP has moved the card from its correct position. It looked good, but now I wonder, since the machine does not find the LAN ports connected.

Also, instead of completely removing the copper back plate on the card, @Zeotrope I wonder if just unscrewing the top screw might allow enough slack, but be a bit "safer" than a completely floating card. I may be trying that myself tomorrow.
I did not have any trouble inserting the DAC cable. The bend is like 1 or 2 mm so that I can secure the whole card. When I installed it, I made sure it was seated all the into the PCIE slot. I then started securing the brass bracket to the chassis. As I doing it, I made sure the card did not move. Before I tightened the screw, I made sure there is no rocking movement between both ends of the card. Mine is rock solid now.

MarkusBarkus

Well-Known Member​

if you look closely on that module there is a very small metal grasper that when pulled on the module slides easily out

I wonder if just unscrewing the top screw might allow enough slack, but be a bit "safer" than a completely floating card.
That is definitely worth a shot. It may or may not work depending on which way the card is tilted.
The best way to confirm if the NIC has issues or not is to go to the Device Manager and check if you see it there (and there are no warning signs):
@Zeotrope - can you connect a copper cable to one of the motherboard NICs and VNC to your Extreme (the IP will change)?
If you can, then right click on the Extreme's start menu and select Device Manager. Expand network adapters, and you should see something like this:
View attachment 105852

If you see all 3 NICs with no warning sign, then the NIC is fine.

If you see a warning sign on the NIC, then you are running into the bracket toleration issue. If that's the case, you have several ways if fixing it (at least temporarily). The easiest way is to turn off the Extreme from the power switch on the back for a few minutes.

Last edited:

My concern about removing the top screw and leaving the bottom one is might cause some stress to the board when you insert and remove the DAC cable? Not sure.. I will be tempted to replace the short top screw with a slightly longer one and now you can unscrew it for couple of mm and still have the card hold on to the bracket?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu