Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

The new Network card goes in the same slot as the old Network card, correct? I think Steve mentioned he initially put his in the wrong slot, and that "slot 2" is the one to use. Which is "Slot 2"?

Also, that tab that you flip down to remove the old network card, that no longer works since the new card is longer, correct?
It is slot 2 and I knew where slot 2 was as I had removed my old network card earlier. My Extreme sits on my top shelf and me being a little guy, it was like looking over the edge as I did it. Clearly I was suffering from a senior moment.When Emile sends you a message followed by this emoji :oops: you know it's his kind way of calling me out. But as luck would have it my bracket fastened flawlessly. BTW, I would strongly encourage using a magnetic Philip's screw diver to remove and reinsert that all too tiny screw which with my fat fingers made me concerned I could drop it into the quagmire of the guts of the Extreme. I did however use an antistatic cloth under the bracket and on top of the new card in case the screw did fall.

Thanks, I swear that was not there before! Luckily my ears are (slightly) better than my eyes.

Only open question I have is about that black tab that was flipped down to remove the old network card. It now no longer seems to hold the new card in place since it’s longer. Is that correct? I flipped it up but it doesn’t seem to secure the new card.

I found Slot 2 but I still don’t see where to download the patch file.

EDIT: Ok, now I see it! I swear it was not there before!

The black tab that holds the end of the card in place, it no longer seems to do much with the new card, since it’s longer, is that correct? I flipped it up but it doesn’t seem to make a difference. Or is my card inserted wrong?
The lock clip is NOT used on this card.

Reactions: Steve Williams
BTW, I would strongly encourage using a magnetic Philip's screw diver to remove and reinsert that all too tiny screw which with my fat fingers made me concerned I could drop it into the quagmire of the guts of the Extreme.
Not a problem, Steve. Just pick up the Extreme, flip it upside down and shake it a few times. That screw will fall right out.

Steve Z

Reactions: Taiko Audio
Not a problem, Steve. Just pick up the Extreme, flip it upside down and shake it a few times. That screw will fall right out.

Steve Z
That thought went through my mind o_O. Thats why I used an antistatic cloth under the bracket and on top of the new card. Having said that I prefer my Extreme on my top platform. There is no vibration or motion from the rack upon which it sits and to me it is eye candy, not meant to be hidden on the bottom. Plus my Extreme is also sitting on a set of center Stage ultra TT which raises the Extreme even more above my eye level. I did use a small step stool taking care that I don't fall into that hole. Having said all of this, the reward is beyond and continues to astonish me with further listening today. The comment that it sounds organic and that not only are the singers and musicians in the room but as @Rhapsody so adequately stated, there is an organic feel to the music....it is palpable.

Up and running! OMG! Will post more later…

Just so I can prove I’m not crazy, the download link is gone again. It did briefly appear and I downloaded it. Now it’s gone. I tried on Safari for both OSX and iOS…

Attachments

• 7A9830BC-EC72-48D3-91EC-BC3B4B922E8F.jpeg
    7A9830BC-EC72-48D3-91EC-BC3B4B922E8F.jpeg
    790.8 KB · Views: 17
Up and running! OMG! Will post more later…

Just so I can prove I’m not crazy, the download link is gone again. It did briefly appear and I downloaded it. Now it’s gone. I tried on Safari for both OSX and iOS…

That link is on the network card page :)

Enjoy!

• Haha
Reactions: ctydwn and nenon
When putting the top back on to the Extreme, it’s a good idea to lightly tighten the 4 bolts in each corner first, then add the others. This will ensure you don’t cross thread any bolt. They should all go in smoothly and without much resistance.

I am one of the affected by the "bracket issue", I must say that as usual - Taiko's transparency and customer support is nothing but extra ordinary!

I will eagerly await the new bracket as I have been able to, intermittently, sample the stupendous SQ upgrade that Switch + Network Card yields.
I have made a work-around "bracket" (see pic) by:
- Removing the flawed copper-bracket
- Using cable-tie on DC-power cables to create down-force for rear end of card
- Using a piece of gaffa-tape on top of card to create down-force for mid-part of the card

This makes the connection last longer but it still drops the connection after a while so need to restart Extreme once in a while.

Still, allowed me to conduct two experiments:

1) A|B Test between Taiko Switch wall-wart and my other available power-supply - Hypsos Ferrum, Ferrum is a clear SQ upgrade and is what I have connected now. (The end game most likely will be Taiko BPS but meanwhile you may want to check what other power supplies you have available.)

2) Chassis grounding of the Taiko Switch - again, a clear SQ improvement (but not huge - Ferrum power supply was a bigger improvement) so if you have chassis-grounding mechanism in your system do not forget to add the Taiko Switch - it lowers the (unhearable) noise and lets some additional music details through instead

So, awesome SQ became a little bit better still!

BTW, given how busy the 'large' switch is (see pic) it is probably good that the 'small' switch did not make it ;-)

Attachments

• IMG_2043.jpeg
    IMG_2043.jpeg
    434.5 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2042.jpeg
    IMG_2042.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Another good "rule of thumb" when putting the top back on insert screws opposite each other per side an don't start tightening until all the screws are in place. Tighten evenly as you go...

Reactions: Christiaan Punter
I have made a work-around "bracket" (see pic) by:
- Removing the flawed copper-bracket
- Using cable-tie on DC-power cables to create down-force for rear end of card
- Using a piece of gaffa-tape on top of card to create down-force for mid-part of the card

This makes the connection last longer but it still drops the connection after a while so need to restart Extreme once in a while.

Still, allowed me to conduct two experiments:

1) A|B Test between Taiko Switch wall-wart and my other available power-supply - Hypsos Ferrum, Ferrum is a clear SQ upgrade and is what I have connected now. (The end game most likely will be Taiko BPS but meanwhile you may want to check what other power supplies you have available.)

2) Chassis grounding of the Taiko Switch - again, a clear SQ improvement (but not huge - Ferrum power supply was a bigger improvement) so if you have chassis-grounding mechanism in your system do not forget to add the Taiko Switch - it lowers the (unhearable) noise and lets some additional music details through instead

So, awesome SQ became a little bit better still!

BTW, given how busy the 'large' switch is (see pic) it is probably good that the 'small' switch did not make it ;-)Not sure
I was able to get away with the bracket by twisting the top portion of the bracket towards outside and I was able to secure the bracket.1678401829579.png

Attachments

• 1678401785752.png
    1678401785752.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
Another good "rule of thumb" when putting the top back on insert screws opposite each other per side an don't start tightening until all the screws are in place. Tighten evenly as you go...
Is there a specified or optimal torque spec?
Mn

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing