Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

As stated, @Taiko Audio comes through with transparent and expedient customer service! I had to bend my bracket slightly but my Extreme with network card and switch is playing fine. Might seem like a dumb question, but as music is playing without interruption does that means the card is making excellent contact and performing to capacity or could it still play with a less than perfect connection which might mean less than maximum sonic performance?

If it plays uninterrupted you are perfectly fine!

This morning I had several e-mail notifications from Taiko that my replacement bracket has shipped.

Outstanding service as many others have noted.

Though I'm one of the lucky ones -- my original bracket was indeed misaligned but ever since I took out the retaining screw and reseated the new network card, it has been playing flawlessly. However it will be nice to replace the bracket and securely fasten the retaining screw.

Steve Z

I didn’t realize they had already started to ship. Cool.

I know it is kind of late in the development cycle for the new Taiko router but was wondering about the feasibility of having a Taiko router in a plainer, less expensive enclosure for those of us who are not going to be locating a router in or near the stereo system. Mine will be out of sight in what I laughingly call an office where I have all the rest of the "computer stuff" located.

I realize the heavy copper chassis lends itself to vibration immunity, however a simpler less expensive box made out of conductive material will do an excellent job of EMI/RFI shielding and could save a customer who doesn't need a piece of audio jewelry some money better spent elsewhere (BPS, TACDD, TACDA, ??).

Steve Z

Here's an Extreme in action. Just installed today.
Rhapsody.Audio- Dallas/Fort Worth new showroom. (Teaser)
The M9s with Pilium Olympus and two each Zeus stereo amps, Taiko Extreme, VYDA cabling all installed today. First time the Pilium gear was turned on. This is the first preliminary pic. There will also be a VYGER Atlantis TT in the room. Just starting to break in the electronics. Still lots of work to do. Many more pics to come.
There is an adjoining room with Alsyvxo, Bayz and Diesis speakers with Kondo and Pilium electronics.
WhatsApp Image 2023-03-11 at 2.30.49 PM-2.jpeg

If it plays uninterrupted you are perfectly fine!
Great, thanks, Emile! When the Taiko switch arrived I removed my @nenon modded Buffalo and installed the new switch. After becoming familiar with it I plan to reinstall the Buffalo to see if it is a sonic enhancer or detractor. The Taiko switch has brought the level of musicality (with detail) and engagement up several notches. It is still getting comfortable after its long journey and I am noticing daily improvements, more texture, weight, soundstage breadth/depth, and dynamics. Big congrats to all at Taiko! Now, back to listening…

@2ndLiner would be interested to learn of your outcome with the modded PFBuffalo switch. I have to run that investigation myself. Cheers...
Methinks, MB, there are a few of us that have been using the Buffalo with the Pink Faun clock to great effect. Sitting here on a rainy late afternoon, not missing the Buffalo, enjoying the heck out of listening with the new switch! Must have done something right in my last life…

Here's an Extreme in action. Just installed today.
Rhapsody.Audio- Dallas/Fort Worth new showroom. (Teaser)
The M9s with Pilium Olympus and two each Zeus stereo amps, Taiko Extreme, VYDA cabling all installed today. First time the Pilium gear was turned on. This is the first preliminary pic. There will also be a VYGER Atlantis TT in the room. Just starting to break in the electronics. Still lots of work to do. Many more pics to come.
There is an adjoining room with Alsyvxo, Bayz and Diesis speakers with Kondo and Pilium electronics.
View attachment 105940
WTF does this have to do in the Taiko thread...???

Reactions: adyc
It's more likely caused by harmonics then by DC. An isolation transformer works well, but usually that will then hum in stead of the transformers connected to it. But if it's mounted in your power distribution box that's not a big deal. Ideally you'd size it at around 1200VA. A Plixir Elite BAC 1000 has been used to address this with positive feedback for example though I'd personally would pick the 1500 suffering from a "bigger is better" thought pattern :) Or just ignore as the hum itself does not actually impact SQ.

So if harmonics are creating hum they are NOT influencing SQ of extreme ?

In summary: if you are going to condition or regenerate bad power to compliment extreme
the only factor that is important is a voltage stability and NOT harmonics / higher freq noise ?
Please correct me if I am wrong.

I know this will not be a case with the comming BPS but the current knowlage is important to me.

@2ndLiner would be interested to learn of your outcome with the modded PFBuffalo switch. I have to run that investigation myself. Cheers...

I tested it very short ( upto 40 minutes of playback untill netcard is off) and there is still some benefit form my modded Buffalo placed between the router and taiko swich.
but the increase in SQ is not as big as it was before. Especially when using 2 moded Buffalo in chain,
Buffalo is still amazing switch , especially for the money. I have 4 of them .
2 Buffalows are now used to isolate access point that is a serious source of noise in my network .
will probabbly keep all of them when Taiko router comes.
2 as a access point noise isolators and other 2 as a home network noise isolators.

I tested it very short ( upto 40 minutes of playback untill netcard is off) and there is still some benefit form my modded Buffalo placed between the router and taiko swich.
but the increase in SQ is not as big as it was before. Especially when using 2 moded Buffalo in chain,
Buffalo is still amazing switch , especially for the money. I have 4 of them .
2 Buffalows are now used to isolate access point that is a serious source of noise in my network .
will probabbly keep all of them when Taiko router comes.
2 as a access point noise isolators and other 2 as a home network noise isolators.
Hi Kris! You clearly are Switch King given the quantity of switches you’ve tried at once. What brand/type of ethernet cables are you using currently in your internet provider device > switches > Extreme chain? From ATT ONT > Edgerouter >Taiko switch > Extreme I am using Sablon ethernet cables. After the switch settles in, I’m going to try generic ethernet cables as it was suggested to me that there exists the possibility that the Sablon’s may be introducing an unnecessary sonic flavor…

Hi Kris! You clearly are Switch King given the quantity of switches you’ve tried at once. What brand/type of ethernet cables are you using currently in your internet provider device > switches > Extreme chain? From ATT ONT > Edgerouter >Taiko switch > Extreme I am using Sablon ethernet cables. After the switch settles in, I’m going to try generic ethernet cables as it was suggested to me that there exists the possibility that the Sablon’s may be introducing an unnecessary sonic flavor…

Nenon is a King here . He used 6 of them Chained.
I think I have something very sensitive in my system to „ring” . with Wifi frequencies,
so I have no choice And forced to use few switches.
None of them is as good as the Taiko swich. This is a true masterpiece !

Tested cables few times. All Sablon Ethernet is not optimal , but all generic cable is also not good.
I mix them now.
To isolate futher the access point I use longer runs ( 15 - 20 m). This is really helpful .
between the switches shorter are better ( 1- 2 - 3 m), but the correct lenght is depandent to your taste.
1m will give it more precision and accuracy, 2 and 3 m will be more forgiving to the system eliminating unwanted grain or harshness., with lighter and more relaxed delivery.

The truth will come with Taiko router as the router ( dream machine pro) currently gives about 70% of the network performance in my testing . So yes router is much more important than swich and net card together ! So I expect Taiko router can add crazy amout of Quality and refinement.

I dont know when the BPS will take us but I already started to collect money as my power at maind is bad here. There is simply no other cure for bad power and all currect solutions are not fully effective.

Reactions: lwr and Taiko Audio
Nenon is a King here . He used 6 of them Chained.
I think I have something very sensitive in my system to „ring” . with Wifi frequencies,
so I have no choice And forced to use few switches.
None of them is as good as the Taiko swich. This is a true masterpiece !

Tested cables few times. All Sablon Ethernet is not optimal , but all generic cable is also not good.
I mix them now.
To isolate futher the access point I use longer runs ( 15 - 20 m). This is really helpful .
between the switches shorter are better ( 1- 2 - 3 m), but the correct lenght is depandent to your taste.
1m will give it more precision and accuracy, 2 and 3 m will be more forgiving to the system eliminating unwanted grain or harshness., with lighter and more relaxed delivery.

The truth will come with Taiko router as the router ( dream machine pro) currently gives about 70% of the network performance in my testing . So yes router is much more important than swich and net card together ! So I expect Taiko router can add crazy amout of Quality and refinement.

I dont know when the BPS will take us but I already started to collect money as my power at maind is bad here. There is simply no other cure for bad power and all currect solutions are not fully effective.
I amend my take, Nenon is the King of Switches and you are the Prince!

WTF does this have to do in the Taiko thread...???
Thank you for the kind WTF. Appreciate that. There is an Extreme server as the source for the system.

So if harmonics are creating hum they are NOT influencing SQ of extreme ?

In summary: if you are going to condition or regenerate bad power to compliment extreme
the only factor that is important is a voltage stability and NOT harmonics / higher freq noise ?
Please correct me if I am wrong.

I know this will not be a case with the comming BPS but the current knowlage is important to me.

Well they do to a certain degree, even though they don’t pass through the powersupply filtering, but the transformer hum itself does not was the point I was trying to make.

Well I wouldn’t call it more important but for sure it expands on what you’re hearing now :) If you had to choose between the two though… let me run that comparison sometime this week, actually did not comprehensively try that yet.

Reactions: Kris

The BPS is indeed a 100% fix, and more, as it outperforms any linear powersupply, even if there would be a “perfect” powergrid supply utility :)

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu