Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

not that many years ago in my system the price of the Taiko switch/NIC *was* a component-level upgrade.
Funny, right? Five years ago I was testing "proof of concept" for streaming and digital music with a Raspberry Pi into my SACD player dac, with WDRed NAS drive. Turns out there's something to this whole digital music thing after all. Up, up, up...

I'm in total agreement -- this isn't just a tweak or something that changes a few things around the edges. It is central to the entire musical experience.

I will note somewhat wryly that not that many years ago in my system the price of the Taiko switch/NIC *was* a component-level upgrade. . .

Steve Z
IMHO (from some one who has never used a switch) this is a component level upgrade. Just close your eyes and pick it up;)

Since upgrading to Roon 2.0 a month ago I've had some unanticipated stoppage glitches. I reached out to Emile, who team viewer'd in last night at 9 pm (his time). My Roon was installed on an older Mac which may have been the problem. We re-installed it on a newer Mac and removed the Nordost switch (which may have also contributed to the issues and besides, my Taiko switch should be coming soon anyway). I repeat, Emile chimed in at 9 pm on a Saturday night. Problem solved. Pinch me. Customer service is one thing. But what this guy considers "service" is closer to what you might expect from angels (if they exist), not mortals.

Since upgrading to Roon 2.0 a month ago I've had some unanticipated stoppage glitches. I reached out to Emile, who team viewer'd in last night at 9 pm (his time). My Roon was installed on an older Mac which may have been the problem. We re-installed it on a newer Mac and removed the Nordost switch (which may have also contributed to the issues and besides, my Taiko switch should be coming soon anyway). I repeat, Emile chimed in at 9 pm on a Saturday night. Problem solved. Pinch me. Customer service is one thing. But what this guy considers "service" is closer to what you might expect from angels (if they exist), not mortals.
I’ve had these stoppages too, on my Extreme. Restarting the Extreme solves the problem for 24 hours or so. Have read elsewhere that this might be a ‘memory leak’ bug in Roon. Hope they figure it out soon; it’s a nuisance.

Why isn't Roon installed on your Extreme?

Can you not run Roon on the Extreme? This is one reason I’m loath to upgrade, BTW. I have Roon running on a custom built silent Rock server with an Intel NUC chipset, which serves the data to a Lampizator DasKomputer. It’s been, touch wood, reliable as a Rock (pun intended). I don’t want to tempt fate and end up with a non-working system. I’ve been through many iterations of Roon glitches on many hardware configurations. Of course, since Roon is updated every week, who knows how long it will continue to work reliably?

Roon Core runs and is installed on all Extremes. Roon remote/control runs on Mac or Iphone, Android, Pc.

Why isn't Roon installed on your Extreme?

I'm afraid I can't answer as my technical skills are nominal. But Emile used the Mac w Team Viewer to access the Roon specs and details he needed. He saw an error message that the Mac (2015) didn't have the OS requirements necessary for the latest Roon version so we deleted it and installed it on a more current Mac for him to access again using TV. I'm not sure what else he did but he changed an incorrectly set buffer spec among other things with the overall result effectively curing the problem. Sorry I can't be more specific but this is all somewhat obscure technically to me.

I'm afraid I can't answer as my technical skills are nominal. But Emile used the Mac w Team Viewer to access the Roon specs and details he needed. He saw an error message that the Mac (2015) didn't have the OS requirements necessary for the latest Roon version so we deleted it and installed it on a more current Mac for him to access again using TV. I'm not sure what else he did but he changed an incorrectly set buffer spec among other things with the overall result effectively curing the problem. Sorry I can't be more specific but this is all somewhat obscure technically to me.
Marty, Roon core is loaded on your Extreme. Some older Mac's or iPhones can be an issue when running Roon remote. You are running Roon Core on your Extreme, controlling it with Roon remote on your Mac.

Reactions: Bobvin
Marty, Roon core is loaded on your Extreme. Some older Mac's or iPhones can be an issue when running Roon remote. You are running Roon Core on your Extreme, controlling it with Roon remote on your Mac.
More specifically, Roon Server is on one Extreme cpu and Roon Ready (as renderer/player) is on the other Cpu. TAS should be employed in a similar manner (LMS Server and Squeeze Lite Player). Haven’t seen anything regarding how XDMS is employed however.

Reactions: Rhapsody
I’ve had these stoppages too, on my Extreme. Restarting the Extreme solves the problem for 24 hours or so. Have read elsewhere that this might be a ‘memory leak’ bug in Roon. Hope they figure it out soon; it’s a nuisance.

I am also having such problem - glitches increase progressively until I reboot the system and then it plays great for a few days.

Those experiencing this as of yet to be accurately depicted issue may have better results shutting down and then flipping the on/off switch on rear of Extreme for 10 minutes or so before restarting. I'm no expert on Extreme architecture, but it should flush out some stuff a shutdown alone can't remove.

In my experience with servers and streamers, no matter how good the hardware, ultimately it comes down to software reliability. It’s really hard to design reliable software that works 24/7 when it’s continuously being updated.

I continue to have the same Roon stoppage issue as others describe. A hard reboot definitely helps for this one. Maybe a minute or two.

Even without the Roon stoppage issue a weekly soft reboot helps all around SQ and performance. Often I just leave Roon radio run during the day. It seems total run time is what matters, meaning streaming time. That’s why I do it this often, YMMV.

Yesterday I was reconfiguring things. Powered everything down. To my horror I came back 4 hours later to find the Extreme unpowered. My bad. It has taken a good 24 hours for the SQ to come back from that one.

During a DHL mishap that had my Extreme parked in a warehouse for the better part of 16 days, it took a good 4 days to come back after receiving life giving voltage.

I’ve been surprised to read all the reports of the switch and network card giving immediate SQ improvement. Powering down for the 30 minutes to pop the lid, swap cards, then securing the lid should drop the SQ for at least a few hours by my estimation.

This Roon stoppage issue surprises me mainly because people have not talked about it much. Today I updated and ran Roon for the first time in 4-5 months. I have been listening exclusively to XDMS. I listened to Roon for almost 2 hours without a glitch. I do wonder if there is some commonality in the software setup and versions which is causing the issues (additional endpoints, inconsistent software versions, etc).

More specifically, Roon Server is on one Extreme cpu and Roon Ready (as renderer/player) is on the other Cpu. TAS should be employed in a similar manner (LMS Server and Squeeze Lite Player). Haven’t seen anything regarding how XDMS is employed however.

if that is the case, i'd vote roon off the island permanently and use those cpu for improving SQ. my guess is that roon shares a cpu with other streaming services, which i wouldn't want to give up.

Reactions: Zeotrope
One issue that has always concerned me about Taiko is it uses the Windows OS, which as someone who has used it for 30+ years, is no paragon of stability. The world of high end data science, which is my day job, runs on Linux, which powers all the massive data centers the world over that process hundreds of terabytes daily. . Nothing beats the stability of Linux, not to mention the freedom from worrying about viruses corrupting your system (hope all of you have installed anti virus software on your Taikos). I installed the Roon Rock Linux OS in my Lampizator DasKomputer. Stable as a Rock. If I bought a Taiko, that’s exactly what I’d do as well. Blow away the Windows OS and install Roon Rock OS. But you can’t run XDMS then.

Reactions: vert

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu