Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Those experiencing this as of yet to be accurately depicted issue may have better results shutting down and then flipping the on/off switch on rear of Extreme for 10 minutes or so before restarting. I'm no expert on Extreme architecture, but it should flush out some stuff a shutdown alone can't remove.

that's what i do, after powering the OS off with the front button, then waiting until the green led on the motherboard goes off.
i usually give it 10 minutes before restarting. later this week, i'll be able to go back to always on performance/SQ.

Reactions: rando
One issue that has always concerned me about Taiko is it uses the Windows OS, which as someone who has used it for 30+ years, is no paragon of stability. The world of high end data science, which is my day job, runs on Linux, which powers all the massive data centers the world over that process hundreds of terabytes daily. . Nothing beats the stability of Linux, not to mention the freedom from worrying about viruses corrupting your system (hope all of you have installed anti virus software on your Taikos). I installed the Roon Rock Linux OS in my Lampizator DasKomputer. Stable as a Rock. If I bought a Taiko, that’s exactly what I’d do as well. Blow away the Windows OS and install Roon Rock OS. But you can’t run XDMS then.

The Extreme isn’t just running Windows. It is running a slimmed down version which utilizes Project Lasso which further controls how the OS runs. You are severely generalizing what is going on under the hood.

Reactions: Zeotrope and Bobvin
I doubt the Roon issue has anything to do with the server OS.
Both LDMS and Taiko use Windows because they believe it sounds better than Linux - after it has been highly optimized, pared down - despite the additional licensing cost and effort to modify. Linux is known for a softer sound. Windows is more direct with better bottom. I’m quoting others I’ve talked to about this. Not my own research. But it seems to correlate with what I’ve owned/heard.
A lot of LD‘s claimed SQ gains have been made by relentlessly tweaking the Windows OS, getting the distortion spectra minimized/optimized. His server spec is minimal compared to the Extreme. Point is, the OS and how it is utilized isn’t an afterthought. It is central.

I’ve been surprised to read all the reports of the switch and network card giving immediate SQ improvement. Powering down for the 30 minutes to pop the lid, swap cards, then securing the lid should drop the SQ for at least a few hours by my estimation.
You're correct that it takes awhile for the Extreme to get completely on song after a full power down, but, yes, the SQ uplift cannot be missed, even 10 minutes into power up - - it's that good! I'm now ~50 hours in from installing things, and I'm hearing piano sound from recordings very well known to me that is just more convincing overall than I have experienced before. Meaty, and differentiated in the left hand, in particular. There is something very special about how the switch and card are helping unravel the bass - lower-midrange.

The Extreme isn’t just running Windows. It is running a slimmed down version which utilizes Project Lasso which further controls how the OS runs. You are severely generalizing what is going on under the hood.
You’re talking to a high end computer geek who does this stuff for a living and gets paid a lot for it, I might add (enough to buy a 3500 sq ft in the Bay Area!). . Project Lasso is a Windows process automation and optimization software. It doesn’t change the fact that it’s Windows under the hood. You can download the package here.

Taiko is of course free to choose any OS and tweak it the way they see fit. For me, if I’m running Roon, I’d rather go to the source and see what they use, which is Roon Rock. XDMS is of course proprietary, like Aurender has its own proprietary database (many of these are running Linux under the hood). If you want to run XDMS, you have no choice.

Since a lot of you seem to be having software stability issues, I’d hazard a guess that it’s a memory leak somewhere corrupting the OS (Windows is known for these). Could be a Roon update that’s causing the glitch. When I ran Roon on my Mac Pro, I’d have these occasionally as well. All disappeared after I switched to the Rock server. Running now for 2+ years without a single glitch of any kind. It’s a Rock, that’s for sure. Which is why Linux powers the computing world “big iron“ (like the Google search engine).

You’re talking to a high end computer geek who does this stuff for a living and gets paid a lot for it, I might add (enough to buy a 3500 sq ft in the Bay Area!). . Project Lasso is a Windows process automation and optimization software. It doesn’t change the fact that it’s Windows under the hood. You can download the package here.

Taiko is of course free to choose any OS and tweak it the way they see fit. For me, if I’m running Roon, I’d rather go to the source and see what they use, which is Roon Rock. XDMS is of course proprietary, like Aurender has its own proprietary database (many of these are running Linux under the hood). If you want to run XDMS, you have no choice.

Since a lot of you seem to be having software stability issues, I’d hazard a guess that it’s a memory leak somewhere corrupting the OS (Windows is known for these). Could be a Roon update that’s causing the glitch. When I ran Roon on my Mac Pro, I’d have these occasionally as well. All disappeared after I switched to the Rock server. Running now for 2+ years without a single glitch of any kind. It’s a Rock, that’s for sure. Which is why Linux powers the computing world “big iron“ (like the Google search engine).
To be fair the members who have been having issues are we who are alpha testers of XDMS and there are always bugs to squash and stability issues.

Reactions: Zeotrope

Given Roon's repeatedly demonstrated indifference to issues of sound quality, running Roon on a Roon-merchandised platform utilizing the Linux operating system is hardly the recommendation for true high-end sound you may think it is.

Steve Z

I'm afraid I can't answer as my technical skills are nominal. But Emile used the Mac w Team Viewer to access the Roon specs and details he needed. He saw an error message that the Mac (2015) didn't have the OS requirements necessary for the latest Roon version so we deleted it and installed it on a more current Mac for him to access again using TV. I'm not sure what else he did but he changed an incorrectly set buffer spec among other things with the overall result effectively curing the problem. Sorry I can't be more specific but this is all somewhat obscure technically to me.

It was the removal of the Nordost switch which solved your issue. Somehow it caused Roon being unable to keep it’s buffers full, some kind of network performance issue. This is not unique, a lot of Roon problems are caused by network performance issues.

Reactions: marty

The OS is rock solid. There have been a few Roon releases with memory leaks and/or other bugs for which you may need to restart Roon services, a reboot will do that for you.

Windows clearly sounds better than Linux and always has. It also sounds better than Mac.

As an audiophile what I care about is sq. I really couldn’t care less if the server is able to stay up running for 10 years without restart instead of say 2 months (for that matter I have never had a stability issue with Extreme having let it run for several months at a time). The obsession about “stability” seems quite unreasonable to me. Why would I want to have something that sounds worse but is theoretically more “stable”?

Installing Linux on Extreme would kill most of its value as I think most of the sq improvement compared to alternatives come from the software side, especially with XDMS, but even without. The hardware is just an enabler.

Is that the same Bay Area where the mayor is London Breed? Hallelujah! (not Leonard Cohen) She was feeling the spirit with Tony Toni Tone, I hope you didn't pay too much for that 3500 sq. feet. You could have gotten yourself an Extreme...Then again the Bay Area has its own Extremes...

Currently, the music room wall ethernet outlet feeds a Nordost switch (w LPS), which then outputs to the Taiko directly, as well as another output that goes to an Apple Airport Extreme which services the TV and the network connection I need for my ipad to control the Extreme/Lampi combo.

The airport extreme running off a SMPS will pollute your entire stereo system when plugged into the Nordost switch (is my experience).

Reactions: MarcelNL and Armsan
The airport extreme running off a SMPS will pollute your entire stereo system when plugged into the Nordost switch (is my experience).
Anything using an SMPS (fans, lights etc) will corrupt the stereo system if on the same circuit. I got rid of the Apple Extreme by taking @dminches suggestion to use wireless for my smart TV. Worked beautifully.

Is that the same Bay Area where the mayor is London Breed? Hallelujah! (not Leonard Cohen) She was feeling the spirit with Tony Toni Tone, I hope you didn't pay too much for that 3500 sq. feet. You could have gotten yourself an Extreme...Then again the Bay Area has its own Extremes...
I could buy many many Extremes for the price of my house. Bay Area real estate is not for the faint hearted. $1 million will get you a really nice house in most parts of the US. Here it won’t even get you a garage! It’s a bidding war for every house that’s on the market. Houses routinely sell for 50% over the listing price. On the bright side, if you do manage to find a nice house in a good neighborhood, it’s a far better investment than the stock market right now.

As of today
Good news for the Buffalo / Melco owners.
Tested Buffalo with PinkFaun clock before Taiko switch With OLDER sfp card And DAC cable.
In my system the improvement that Buffalo brings is big.
Buffalo with Pinkfaun + Taiko switch is an excellent combo.
It is definitely not as good when the Buffalo is taken out of system.

Edit ,. This might change when my Taiko netcard will work long so I can test it .

Also this might be totally different with Taiko router.

As the latest Taiko XDMS, NIC and switch upgrades run in, do those of you who’ve tried it find that the upgrade is quite difficult to describe in hi-fi terms due to the fact that simply everything about the music’s presentation got a lot better I.e its not easy to pick out individual elements in terms of the usual adjectives and a lot of improvements defy description, they just make the music more ‘magical’ and more like musicians actually creating the music in a real venue with the excitement and atmosphere of a live event?
Do you also find that each track has more of the elements of a ‘performance’ than has been the norm for a track played on a hi-fi? For example, you feel like clapping or cheering at the end of a great track?
Would you also agree that the most marked shift in performance is to your own reaction to the music, which is profoundly more involving and enjoyable and that it has become more difficult to listen analytically as you’re just swept up in the music’s rhythms and emotions?
Would you also agree that this level of upgrade defies the law of diminishing returns I.e. as the system gets better, the upgrades actually become more profound?
What I’m getting at; do you find these upgrades to the network somewhat different in nature to say an amplifier, tt or speaker upgrade?

As of today
Good news for the Buffalo / Melco owners.
Tested Buffalo with PinkFaun clock before Taiko switch With OLDER sfp card And DAC cable.
In my system the improvement that Buffalo brings is big.
Buffalo with Pinkfaun + Taiko switch is an excellent combo.
It is definitely not as good when the Buffalo is taken out of system.

Edit ,. This might change when my Taiko netcard will work long so I can test it .

Also this might be totally different with Taiko router.

was this true for local files or just streaming from the cloud?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing