Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

But I still hope for Taiko Access Point.
Not sure why Emile is not experiencing that „ wifi polution” effect but my gues is that he has a busy network And than it dosnt mater anymore.
also longer cable runs do attenuate this noise, so that might be part of the not existing effect.

I absolutely hear a very significant impact of “wifi pollution”. I just don’t think it’s negative effect is caused by its 2.4/5/6Ghz radio function.

Reactions: oldmustang
I absolutely hear a very significant impact of “wifi pollution”. I just don’t think it’s negative effect is caused by its 2.4/5/6Ghz radio function.
It 100% does in my case; but I don’t think you have >105db sensitive speakers. That’s probably why it doesn’t manifest itself as background noise, albeit slight, in your system.

Is there a direction on how to use the iPad to control playback without adding a Wi-Fi access point on the “clean” side of the router? I read a few options but not sure if there is an official suggestion?

It 100% does in my case; but I don’t think you have >105db sensitive speakers. That’s probably why it doesn’t manifest itself as background noise, albeit slight, in your system.

Is there a direction on how to use the iPad to control playback without adding a Wi-Fi access point on the “clean” side of the router? I read a few options but not sure if there is an official suggestion?

I do not doubt that you hear what you are hearing. However that wooden box doesn’t do much for that specific aspect, it may even simply increase transmitter power if it detects a lower quality connection to your remote device, which would be harder on the electrical side of the equation. Placing the AP electronics inside a copper switch/router chassis does have an impact btw, but it does not “shield” 2.4 / 5 / 6 GHz which simply travels through to the connector openings (obviously sealing this would stop wi-fi from functioning). So again I’m not doubting what you hear, and I probably hear the same thing, but I’m strongly doubting it’s caused by the wi-fi radio airborne transmission part.

I do not doubt that you hear what you are hearing. However that wooden box doesn’t do much for that specific aspect, it may even simply increase transmitter power if it detects a lower quality connection to your remote device, which would be harder on the electrical side of the equation. Placing the AP electronics inside a copper switch/router chassis does have an impact btw, but it does not “shield” 2.4 / 5 / 6 GHz which simply travels through to the connector openings (obviously sealing this would stop wi-fi from functioning). So again I’m not doubting what you hear, and I probably hear the same thing, but I’m strongly doubting it’s caused by the wi-fi radio airborne transmission part.
It’s interesting, not sure how to explain it then. Wood cover on top of Eero (where the antennas are located) = less background noise.
In any case, I don’t want to add another Wi-Fi AP with the Router.
Is port forwarding the preferred method to enable the iPad to control the Extreme wirelessly?

It’s interesting, not sure how to explain it then. Wood cover on top of Eero (where the antennas are located) = less background noise.
In any case, I don’t want to add another Wi-Fi AP with the Router.
Is port forwarding the preferred method to enable the iPad to control the Extreme wirelessly?

Currently yes, at least until the AP noise issue is under full control.

Just wanted to happily point out that strings have never sounded so organic in my system, like after the addition of the switch + NIC and latest XDMS overhaul. This is a recording I go to often, and the feeling of gut strings / horse hair fretting I am now hearing is unprecedentedly close to the real thing (super difficult to achieve, especially via streaming).

As a result, the Smetana 1st quartet sounds even more poignant, full of passion than usual :)

1683454227347.png

Functionally you won’t notice a difference.
Great!
And last question (before I order the Router): is there a clear preference between RJ45 or DAC cable to connect the Router to the Switch?
Currently using a 3m long Triode Wire Labs Ethernet cord.
I won’t be getting the DC Distributor as I already have each LPS (Router+Switch) connected to its own isolated Shunyata Denali receptacle, and all grounds are connected to the ALTAIRA.

Great!
And last question (before I order the Router): is there a clear preference between RJ45 or DAC cable to connect the Router to the Switch?
Currently using a 3m long Triode Wire Labs Ethernet cord.
I won’t be getting the DC Distributor as I already have each LPS (Router+Switch) connected to its own isolated Shunyata Denali receptacle, and all grounds are connected to the ALTAIRA.

Then you may prefer RJ45. In that particular setup you may want to avoid directly connecting the switch and router grounds with a DAC cable, even though it’s the superior method of connection.

Then you may prefer RJ45. In that particular setup you may want to avoid directly connecting the switch and router grounds with a DAC cable, even though it’s the superior method of connection.
Maybe I’ll try it both ways as the DAC cable is not expensive. Can you explain why? Aren’t you recommending that the grounds be connected of the Switch and Router? The Altaira will do that.

Maybe I’ll try it both ways as the DAC cable is not expensive. Can you explain why? Aren’t you recommending that the grounds be connected of the Switch and Router? The Altaira will do that.

If you use 2 powersupplies there will be a noise voltage riding on the ground connections between the connected devices. You can then try to reduce that by different “grounding” schemes to try to get closer to single point grounding, but as these devices are both externally powered you can simply achieve superior single point grounding by using 1 shared powersupply.

Thank you for explaining, looks I misunderstood.
How do you plan to fix it ?
I will 100% happy if you discover a way to eliminate it .
Not to mention I will be more than happy to pay for it .

I am desepare as in my system its just crazy strong infuence.

Do we know what pin is responsible for ground passing in DAC cable ?
We could cover it with nail paint and get happy with no ground connection if needed .

Alright, that makes total sense to me. …and yes, what I meant now that you’ve pointed it out was the mastering part.
My conclusion (and looking for the positive twist in this): The recordings themselves - if done properly - even in the 50s/60s are NOT the bottleneck AND that is true for digital as well BUT here the mastering needs to be on a high level as to not lose a crucial part of sound quality (compared to analog which doesn’t need this extra conversion step) that can‘t be regained on the playback side.
Soooo, if great mastering engineers remaster these gems with modern „Extreme-like“ analog to digital conversion processes this bottleneck would be resolved and we would be able to experience the full benefit of a digital playback chain.

we know this can be done since Kevin Gray has done some digital remasters asking with analog for Blue Note.

Reactions: MusicFellow
Thank you for explaining, looks I misunderstood.
How do you plan to fix it ?
I will 100% happy if you discover a way to eliminate it .
Not to mention I will be more than happy to pay for it .

I am desepare as in my system its just crazy strong infuence.

Basically in my experiments anything below 2-3MHz affects sound by not yet fully understood mechanisms. Above that simply does nothing audible. A wi-fi access point does use a variety of high efficiency switchers emitting pollution in this range, 500-700KHz is a very common range for example. So we need to address that specifically and see if it solves the problem.

If you use 2 powersupplies there will be a noise voltage riding on the ground connections between the connected devices. You can then try to reduce that by different “grounding” schemes to try to get closer to single point grounding, but as these devices are both externally powered you can simply achieve superior single point grounding by using 1 shared powersupply.
Yes but I don’t think you can say this is better than two supplies with each grounded and each having filtered AC with a Shunyata Denali/Everest and Altaira … among the other various options that perform a similar function. Not until it has been tested and compared.

Yes but I don’t think you can say this is better than two supplies with each grounded and each having filtered AC with a Shunyata Denali/Everest and Altaira … among the other various options that perform a similar function. Not until it has been tested and compared.

I have in fact tested and compared that. There’s not much voodoo in this..

we know this can be done since Kevin Gray has done some digital remasters asking with analog for Blue Note.
There is no ‘high end‘ D to A converter for professional use. Nothing like what Taiko has done for the Extreme, paying attention to AC filtering, etc etc.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu