Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

@christian--maybe i missed this, but what are you using to power the switch in these experiments?
Ah yes, I did not mention that but I am using the standard supplied Wall-Wart at this point.

Hi Christian,

I saw that you have other servers beside Extreme. Did you try out the switch with other servers? Did the switch provide any improvements to other server?
I have not tried the switch with the other servers. While it's possible, the Extreme Switch is really intended to work in tandem with the Extreme Network Card (inside the Extreme server).

To all those who have the Taiko Switch and the NIC card, I would like to propose a little game; change the connector of the DAC cable that is in the Switch and connect it in the NIC and vice versa. Do you notice any change?

To all those who have the Taiko Switch and the NIC card, I would like to propose a little game; change the connector of the DAC cable that is in the Switch and connect it in the NIC and vice versa. Do you notice any change?
A few of us did this a few months ago when the switches first arrived. At that time the consensus was that we could hear a difference. The connection to the Extreme using the port next to the power port was preferred.

A few of us did this a few months ago when the switches first arrived. At that time the consensus was that we could hear a difference. The connection to the Extreme using the port next to the power port was preferred.
Bob, I think Francisco is talking about swapping the DAC cable end-for-end rather than trying both switch ports. Checking directionality of the DAC cable rather than finding a preference for switch port.

Steve Z

Bob, I think Francisco is talking about swapping the DAC cable end-for-end rather than trying both switch ports. Checking directionality of the DAC cable rather than finding a preference for switch port.

Steve Z
ooopps. Thx. Sorry Francisco. Senior moment!

a little game
Some observations:

AWG
It seems the first available longer length cable (4m or 5m) with decreased AWG, for example from AWG 30 to AWG 24, should benefit (or not) the most from the increased wire diameter (4m vs. 7m for example).
Shorter lengths with the same AWG should among other things have different attenuation and interference, audible or not.

Max. Power Consumption
The discussed and tested DAC cable has a spec for Max. Power Consumption @ 0.1W. This a single cable maybe a non- twisted pair stranded cable as far as I understand from the FS.com provided specs.

The possibly compatible and much more expensive, short (1.5m max.), bi-cabled and faster 400G and 800G passive DAC cables are designed with ''ultra-low loss materials, square rings (!) , twisted pair cable 8 or 16 high-speed copper pairs (28 AWG) and max. Power Consumption @ 0.005W ''. With these features they provide ''power-efficient connectivity'' (for high speeds that is). But, do they sound different?

Obviously the SQ benefit of the Taiko selected DAC cable based on specs only has nothing to do with speed, but possibly reduced attenuation & - interference, length, AWG and max. power consumption could make a difference (if interchangeable with the original DAC) ?

Attachments

• 1.5m (5ft) Generic Compatible 800G QSFP-DD Passive Direct Attach Copper Twinax Cable.jpg
    1.5m (5ft) Generic Compatible 800G QSFP-DD Passive Direct Attach Copper Twinax Cable.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Reactions: Christiaan Punter
Hopefully simple XDMS question:

Is there a way to save streamed Albums (not playlists of tracks) into XDMS?

This is the way i’ve navigated my music listening through Roon for years. Very simple link, just save an album to “Albums” under “My Music”.

I see the link for saving tracks into playlists. And I see the link for saving all the tracks of an Album into a playlists.

But I’m looking to save the (streamed) Album (identified by cover pic and name) and organized by artist or Composer in one comprehensive list. (as in Roon).

Let me know if this is better a question for Dischord. Thanks

Reactions: 2ndLiner
Not possible to do in XDMS at this time, Wil. A way to collect them in one place is to add them to "Qobuz favorites" or "Tidal favorites".

Tracks can be added by using the three-dot menu to the right of the track in the Queue.

Albums can be added to Tidal or Qobuz favorites by tapping or clicking on the album art to the left of the track in the Queue. In the window that opens, select "Artist Info". In the window that opens, select "Artist". That opens the XDMS Search window which will automatically take you to either Qobuz or Tidal and present a list of that artist's albums. Use the the three-dot menu to add the entire album to Favorites.

To find the tracks or albums you've "favorited" use the Qobuz or Tidal tab along the bottom of the XDMS window to go to the appropriate streaming service window and select Favorites from the menu on the left side of the window.

Somewhat awkward but it is the only work-around I am aware of though perhaps someone else has a simpler method I haven't stumbled on.

Steve Z

Hopefully simple XDMS question:

Is there a way to save streamed Albums (not playlists of tracks) into XDMS?

This is the way i’ve navigated my music listening through Roon for years. Very simple link, just save an album to “Albums” under “My Music”.

I see the link for saving tracks into playlists. And I see the link for saving all the tracks of an Album into a playlists.

But I’m looking to save the (streamed) Album (identified by cover pic and name) and organized by artist or Composer in one comprehensive list. (as in Roon).

Let me know if this is better a question for Dischord. Thanks
Here’s what I do I save the entire album into a new playlist and I name the playlist the title of the album

Here’s what I do I save the entire album into a new playlist and I name the playlist the title of the album
Much simpler than my method, Steve though you must have a Playlist list a mile long!

Steve Z

I just favorite the albums with the heart like you Steve. Just like I used to do in Roon.

Some observations:

AWG
It seems the first available longer length cable (4m or 5m) with decreased AWG, for example from AWG 30 to AWG 24, should benefit (or not) the most from the increased wire diameter (4m vs. 7m for example).
Shorter lengths with the same AWG should among other things have different attenuation and interference, audible or not.

Max. Power Consumption
The discussed and tested DAC cable has a spec for Max. Power Consumption @ 0.1W. This a single cable maybe a non- twisted pair stranded cable as far as I understand from the FS.com provided specs.

The possibly compatible and much more expensive, short (1.5m max.), bi-cabled and faster 400G and 800G passive DAC cables are designed with ''ultra-low loss materials, square rings (!) , twisted pair cable 8 or 16 high-speed copper pairs (28 AWG) and max. Power Consumption @ 0.005W ''. With these features they provide ''power-efficient connectivity'' (for high speeds that is). But, do they sound different?

Obviously the SQ benefit of the Taiko selected DAC cable based on specs only has nothing to do with speed, but possibly reduced attenuation & - interference, length, AWG and max. power consumption could make a difference (if interchangeable with the original DAC) ?
This is great finding but the problem is you are talikng about QSFP-DD that is totally different
from SFP+.
The ports in Taiko network card and Taiko switch will accept only SFP and SFP+ cables.

Doesn’t that make a list of every track on every album? I have hundreds of saved Streamed Albums.That would be way too cumbersome for me to deal with.

@wil what are you trying to save, just the album names? Are these just your Tidal or qobuz favorites?

Doesn’t that make a list of every track on every album? I have hundreds of saved Streamed Albums.That would be way too cumbersome for me to deal with.
That’s my way until there is a better one. I rarely use this method

It appears there will be one option for existing Extremes..
A drop in bps.
Will this include the 3 additional dc connectors?

@wil what are you trying to save, just the album names? Are these just your Tidal or qobuz favorites?
I would just like to be able to save streamed albums (whether they are called favorites or whatever) so they are cataloged in one place and easy to access and play.

I'm hoping this is something the XDMS team is working on?

As shown in Roon pics below. It's just a single click on the Heart next to the album and it is saved in "Albums" under "My Library".

Attachments

• IMG_7750.jpg
    IMG_7750.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7747.jpg
    IMG_7747.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7748.jpg
    IMG_7748.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: PhoenixRising

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing