Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Hi,

For those of you who does not want to spend a lot of money on a network card, I can recommend this: NET Card XE - JCAT . next-gen computer audio

I installed it in my Extreme, slot 2, and run the installation script that is available from the Taiko homepage. The card is working perfectly and did make a significant improvement in the sound quality of streamed music.

Nice to know.

I have not compared it with with the Taiko network card, but I doubt that the difference in sound qualty can justify the price difference...

Well, in this particular matter I can't understand why someone who does not have carried the comparison can make such abusive statement ...

Perhaps full benefit would be a better description. It is already being used with a variety of other servers as a regular RJ45 in/out switch. The main thing to look out for is the 1Gb link speed requirement.
Emile,
I didn't know the Taiko Switch had a 1Gb ethernet link requirement. When this was discussed previously as to whether SQ would improve vs say a 400Mbps speed, I believe your comment was "it couldn't hurt" but I was unaware it is now a requirement. Is this correct? I think you also advocated that 1Gb is preferred for Roon users since Roon is adversely sensitive (i.e. crashes) to lower speed networks. Also correct? Thanks.
Marty

Emile,
I didn't know the Taiko Switch had a 1Gb ethernet link requirement. When this was discussed previously as to whether SQ would improve vs say a 400Mbps speed, I believe your comment was "it couldn't hurt" but I was unaware it is now a requirement. Is this correct? I think you also advocated that 1Gb is preferred for Roon users since Roon is adversely sensitive (i.e. crashes) to lower speed networks. Also correct? Thanks.
Marty
I think we have to be clear here whether you/Emile are referring to the Ethernet link INSIDE your house, or the internet provider link into your house. Those are two very different things. I suspect Emile is referring to the former and you are referring to the latter?

Bc there is no internal switch or cabling that would limit you to 400mbps, only your internet connection.

Emile,
Marty

I think we have to be clear here whether you/Emile are referring to the Ethernet link INSIDE your house, or the internet provider link into your house. Those are two very different things. I suspect Emile is referring to the former and you are referring to the latter?

Bc there is no internal switch or cabling that would limit you to 400mbps, only your internet connection.

Indeed referring to the local network (link) speed, your internet link speed is unrelated to this.

SFP ports are either 100Mbit OR 1Gb, not both. SFP ports do not support auto negotiation. This is a difference with RJ45 switch ports you’re used to which auto negotiate 10/100/1G and can run on all of those speeds. Again this is not possible with SFP ports where you have to choose if you want 100Mbit or 1Gb ports.

Received notice that my black Taiko switch and NIC has been shipped. Very excited to put it mildly. Weighing in at 41.89 lbs. Starting to prep the rack.
Thank you Team Taiko!

I am thinking of using the Taiko router as a NAS.

Is there any sound penalty to this? And are there any specifics to the type of usb drive we should use for best results? (External powered vs bus powered for example).

Of course, another option is just to plug the usb drive directly into the extreme. Which option would result in better SQ?
@Taiko Audio any thoughts?

It has build in NAS functionality, indeed by means of external USB drive. I would aim for less powersupplies, so bus powered, but I have not ran extensive comparisons yet. The best solution would probably be powering it from the DC distributor but that would typically run at 12V and most external USB drives run at 5V.

Reactions: jelt2359
It has build in NAS functionality, indeed by means of external USB drive. I would aim for less powersupplies, so bus powered, but I have not ran extensive comparisons yet. The best solution would probably be powering it from the DC distributor but that would typically run at 12V and most external USB drives run at 5V.

That's why we need a 5v output with the BPS.

It isn’t appropriate to promote another manufacturer’s products on this thread.
Plus, if you haven’t tried the Taiko network card then posting an opinion about it seems meaningless.

? Maybe you forgot about powersupplies , Ethernet cables, AC power, vibration control and so on? We can not discuss them here anymore?

Another Extreme owner just did a suggestion here based on a positive experience and to the possible benefit of someone not able to install an Extreme network card. Nice way to say thank you ;-). Never realized that rule existed.

In other words I think these comments are unnecessarily rude.

Last edited:
? Maybe you forgot about powersupplies , Ethernet cables, AC power, vibration control and so on? We can not discuss them here anymore?
Another Extreme owner just did a suggestion here based on a positive experience and to the possible benefit of someone not able to install an Extreme network card. Nice way to say thank you ;-). Never realized that rule existed.

Taiko Audio doesn’t sell Ethernet cables, AC power cords, etc. The poster suggested an alternative to what Taiko sells. Different situation. I thought that was clear and implied in my comment. I guess not.

Reactions: Armsan
Taiko Audio doesn’t sell Ethernet cables, AC power cords, etc. The poster suggested an alternative to what Taiko sells. Different situation. I thought that was clear and implied in my comment. I guess not.
“It isn’t appropriate to promote another manufacturer’s products on this thread.”

That’s what you said. I must be my interpretation then.

“It isn’t appropriate to promote another manufacturer’s products on this thread.”

That’s what you said. I must be my interpretation then.
Maybe start a thread titled, “Products that you can use in conjunction with the Taiko Extreme that deliver good sound and save you money.” A little wordy but possibly a better route?

Reactions: John T
Just my two cents. After spending so much more on the switch, it seems odd to “save money” by going for that jcat instead which is not exactly cheap either. If I were to “save money” it would be by just not getting the switch at all.

That, on top of 1) never having done any comparison 2) taiko being very clear the network card and switch are meant to work together (which substitutes for a comparison given the engineering intent).

Kinda like buying a taiko then saving money by buying another audiophile usb card instead. Sure it’s possible, but I’m not sure I see anyone going for it unless they already had said third party card to begin with and didn’t want to spend more.

Thank you! Will wait for your comparisons then.
But router nas > direct usb connected drive I assume?

Kinda like buying a taiko then saving money by
... not buying the Extreme router, not buying the Extreme switch and not buying the Taiko BPS.

I am trying to say that any solution around an Extreme that sounds good to its owner should count here. I was under the impression that members of this thread where a little more open minded than that. At least Taiko is ;)

Last edited:
As in: The poster dared to suggest? Maybe it would be good to clarify the rules for posting. I am confused.

This is about common curtesy. This is a Taiko thread. One shouldn’t be promoting alternatives to Taiko products in this thread. Seems pretty obvious to me. There is an entire website to do that.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing