Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Could some post a list of "what's in the box" for those orders that include the router and DC power distributor?"

I am most interested in what cables and adapters are included.
In the box, you will find two layers. The top layer can be removed to reveal the second layer.

The top layer contains the Router.

The bottom layer contains a Wall-Wart Power Supply and, if you ordered it, a DAC cable.

Also, on the bottom layer, if ordered, the DC Power Distributor and two nice DC cables.

Unfortunately, my arrival of the router and distributor yesterday coincided with me moving several pieces of equipment from one room to another room and that sort of invalidated any sonic impressions that I had once I got the router working. I did listen briefly last night and a little bit this morning and the one word that comes to mind is dimensionality.

I’m traveling out to the Hamptons this morning to pick up equipment from a customer and I have a guest tomorrow and Friday. Hopefully, after that, I’ll be able to give a better update.

Router and DC Power Distributor - First Look

Here is the Pelicase, containing both the Extreme Router and Extreme DC Power Distributor:

4X3A4095.JPG

The top layer, showing the Extreme Router with its protective felt cover

4X3A4096_rotated.jpg

The Extreme Router unveiled:

4X3A4097.JPG

Here is the bottom layer, showing the Extreme DC Power Distributor still under its protective felt layer and the accessories (if ordered).

4X3A4098_rotated_corr.jpg

Extreme DC Power Distributor in all of its shiny glory (reflecting the crease in my ceiling) and the accessories:

4X3A4100_rotated_corr.jpg

DAC Cable, DC Cables, Wall-Wart power adaptor with appropriate connector for your country, a Wi-Fi antenna, and two Earth/Ground terminal screws:

4X3A4121_rotated.jpg

The DC Cable connectors up close:

4X3A4122_rotated_corrected.jpg

4X3A4125.JPG

Last edited:

Here is the Pelicase, containing both the Extreme Router and Extreme DC Power Distributor:

View attachment 117682

View attachment 117684

View attachment 117685

Here is the bottom layer, showing the Extreme DC Power Distributor still under its protective felt layer and the accessories (if ordered).

View attachment 117686

Extreme DC Power Distributor in all of its shiny glory (reflecting the crease in my ceiling) and the accessories:

View attachment 117687

DAC Cable, DC Cables, Wall-Wart power adaptor with appropriate connector for your country, a Wi-Fi antenna, and two Earth/Ground terminal screws:

View attachment 117688

View attachment 117689

View attachment 117690
Christiaan

Can you explain what those two screws are for that we all received. I asked Emile yesterday and he wasn't sure but worried that customs had opened the router and left 2 screws outo_O

Christiaan

Can you explain what those two screws are for that we all received. I asked Emile yesterday and he wasn't sure but worried that customs had opened the router and left 2 screws outo_O

Those are for grounding, the guys left them out and packed them separately intentionally.

Having spent the past 3 days installing the Taiko router and trying to find a way to find the new IP address, mine was such a difficult issue that Emile took time off his busy day and gave me a tutorial as how best to get Taiko wifi as well as restoring wifi if it goes down. After confirming that my router and switch were operational and functioning well he walked me through a very simple process of restarting the Taiko pack (router and switch) by merely pulling out the power to the DCD , wait a few seconds and plug it back in and Taiko wifi is instantly restored after you pull out and put back in the DAC cable to the NIC. What I found interesting is that there was no change in the IP address. Emile said the IP address won't change but to reactivate it you go through these few easy steps. It took me all of a few minutes to get back on once he explained the process to me.

View attachment 117682

View attachment 117684

View attachment 117685

View attachment 117686

View attachment 117687

View attachment 117688

View attachment 117689

View attachment 117690
To those who are awaiting delivery a few comments about the packaging is necessary. The pictures do not do justice to how beautiful this travel case is and how perfectly safe everything is when shipped. It was a sight to behold and wonderful to unpack. Only thing I had no idea about were the two screws which I now know are supplied for grounding. Once I overcame my lack of knowledge re networking, the installation takes all of a few minutes and if done correctly you will be up and running in a few minutes more. What I really like is that the only devices I have on Taiko wifi are my Extreme, my iPad and my MacBook Pro which reduces so much background noise, which you didn't know was there until you play the Router with the Switch

Next up I am hoping is NSM followed soon by the Extreme BPS. At that time all bets will be off. Kudos Taiko audio and thank you Ed and Emile for being such a great help.

It is also very gratifying that here on WBF we have members who are extremely knowledgeable in computer networking and when I was stuck, Nenon and davidadavid graciously and without request reached out to me to help with the issues I was having. Thank you both. We are truly blessed at WBF to have such a community of members who have such good intentions to help other members. Even though I was initially stymied Nenon took time out of his day to TV into my laptop and show me the way.

If there is a silver cloud with this new router, it is that the IP address won't ever change on Taiko wifi.

I was expecting simmilar hype here with router first impressions like most had with Switch and net card. It is to quiet here OR everyone is gone from current life and sitting in listening room with no internet access?

Reactions: nonesup
Maybe only a few people have gotten theirs so far?

Maybe...Still not typical...

I noticed another thing re Taiko wifi that is worth sharing.Initially it was my understanding that the Access point and small antenna gave access to Taiko wifi only within close proximity of the router and I have been keeping my laptop in my sound room. Today I discovered that while on Taiko wifi I had strong signal my laptop anywhere in my house as well as from my back yard.

I was expecting similar hype here with router first impressions like most had with Switch and net card. It is to quiet here OR everyone is gone from current life and sitting in listening room with no internet access?
I can give you some feedback on limited listening. With Taiko Wifi I have only my Extreme, laptop and iPad on the network. Asa result there is a somewhat cleaner signal downstream from the rest of my network. As to discovering a major uptick in SQ, it is not there in the same fashion as when we installed the Taiko USB board or the Taiko NIC. Likely NSM and BPS will be the trump cards to complete the best of Taiko. having said that I did get to listen to on and FWIW it sounds better now that I have ever heard. Emile says that the reason it does is because Roon is sensitive to network noise. I have only 3 devices on Taiko wifi so Roon sounds better than Ive ever heard it

Reactions: Kris
I noticed another thing re Taiko wifi that is worth sharing.Initially it was my understanding that the Access point and small antenna gave access to Taiko wifi only within close proximity of the router and I have been keeping my laptop in my sound room. Today I discovered that while on Taiko wifi I had strong signal my laptop anywhere in my house as well as from my back yard.

It depends a bit on walls / flooring / windows etc. In The Netherlands we have a lot of “HR” / “HR+” or even “HR++” glass windows with double brick or concrete walls, Wi-Fi struggles passing through that.

I can give you some feedback on limited listening. With Taiko Wifi I have only my Extreme, laptop and iPad on the network. Asa result there is a somewhat cleaner signal downstream from the rest of my network. As to discovering a major uptick in SQ, it is not there in the same fashion as when we installed the Taiko USB board or the Taiko NIC. Likely NSM and BPS will be the trump cards to complete the best of Taiko. having said that I did get to listen to on and FWIW it sounds better now that I have ever heard. Emile says that the reason it does is because Roon is sensitive to network noise. I have only 3 devices on Taiko wifi so Roon sounds better than Ive ever heard it

Indeed Roon is significantly more sensitive to the network environment then XDMS which has been designed from the start to be more immune to networking. IMHO they’re pretty competitive now, that is until Wilson has completed the rewrite to “NSM”.

This is actually not necessary anymore as all routers have random unique passwords now, those passwords are however difficult to memorize so if you want to change them you could do it for convenience. @Christiaan Punter can you update this part of the manual?
Sure:)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing