Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Just a quick reminder there was already some feedback posted by @Christiaan Punter describing his impressions of the filters in this thread and on our website here:
https://taikoaudio.com/taiko-2020/c...distributor-tests-at-taiko-hq/?v=796834e7a283

Something to keep in mind when comparing filters is that each individual filter is prone to burn-in effects. They use the highest possible quality parts available like Duelund capacitors which do take about 5 days or so to loose their initial “veil” after which clarity, sophistication, micro detailing and dynamics are at a significantly higher level. You will probably not notice this veil initially as this is offset by the increased clarity of inserting the router/dcd into the chain, but if you change filters after these 5 days those which have had some burn-in may sound better to you just because of that.

If you preferred Roon over XDMS before the router/dcd you will most likely have a preference for the “alt2” filter, if you preferred XDMS chances are good you’ll prefer “alt1”.
Thanks for linking that , can I check what is “filter 3” (super analytical) in his write up? Is that alt 1?

Thanks for linking that , can I check what is “filter 3” (super analytical) in his write up? Is that alt 1?

Yeah:

Default:
Filter 1

With the Extreme DC Power Distributor configured with filter 1, the same as I had heard at the start of the day, sure enough, the treble clearly was airier, more explicit, and more highly resolving. At the same time, the entire presentation was harmonically richer, no longer gray and relatively simple, and ultimately more convincing and realistic. Just to be absolutely certain, I asked Emile to switch back to no DC Power Distributor, but indeed, the sound returned to a duller, comparatively less realistic, and relatively more synthetic version.

Alt1:
Filter 3

Next up was a third incarnation of the filter. Emile shared with me the fact that this was a super-analytical filter. Basically, it was the turbo-charged version of filter 1 that I personally preferred. The filter sure was aptly-named as indeed the treble was now wide-open, super-detailed, and super-highly resolving. Sure, it had a lot of bite, but I did not mind that. It wasn’t just the treble, though. The midrange and bass as well, and actually really the entire presentation was now ultra-crisp, clear, and articulate. Fabulously incisive and excitingly rhythmic, than with any of the other connection methods, this kind of bass was truly right up my alley. Remind me again, this was Roon? It sure was.

Alt2:
Filter 2

With the Extreme DC Power Distributor configured with filter 2, I felt strongly that the treble was darker, coarser (less fluid and less finely resolved), and had less air, and as a result, the bass was also less tight and articulate. Then again, I also heard a notable increase of naturalness in the midrange with piano clearly sounding more like the wood-string-steel construction that it is, and vocals sounding luscious and fleshed out. Now, the presentation had clearly gained harmonic richness and the increase in timbral differentiation was undeniable. After I had shared my impressions, Emile finally commented on having a soft spot for the deeper saturation and more organic midrange and I could totally relate. But the bottom line for me was that the sound was now also less propulsive, incisive, and ultimately, less exciting. In a word, for me, it was less toe-tapping.

Note that you should not take this as how you will perceive this yourself as your preferred outcome can depend on your powersupply/utility, system setup and your own individual perception and preference. Highly recommend to give them all a serious audition. The quickest way is to just switch the DC cable powering the switch between them as that will only cause a few seconds of “downtime”.

Last edited:
Yeah:

Default:

Alt1:

Alt2:

Note that you should not take this as how you will perceive this yourself as your preferred outcome can depend on your powersupply/utility, system setup and your own individual perception and preference. Highly recommend to give them all a serious audition. The quickest way is to just switch the DC cable powering the switch between them as that will only cause a few seconds of “downtime”.
Emile, did you find that the Router and/or DC distributor required burn in? If so, is this the standard 150-200 hours?

Reactions: theaudiogeek
Emile, did you find that the Router and/or DC distributor required burn in? If so, is this the standard 150-200 hours?

Yes there’s no escaping burn in. The first 5 days is the most significant, after that it keeps improving for about a month with a declining slope of audible improvements.

Emile
is the general recommendation to keep
IPv6 support OFF on regular routers and switches ?
I belive IPv4 was always more accurate and quick ( less delay)
Same with QoS ? Keep them off ?
I was not sure if turning QoS ON is giving any benefit for 2 devices only being connected.

Emile
is the general recommendation to keep
IPv6 support OFF on regular routers and switches ?
I belive IPv4 was always more accurate and quick ( less delay)
Same with QoS ? Keep them off ?
I was not sure if turning QoS ON is giving any benefit for 2 devices only being connected.

On an isolated network or on your home network with a lot of devices? I have always had negative results from enabling QoS.

On an isolated network or on your home network with a lot of devices? I have always had negative results from enabling QoS.
I have a dedicated fibre from ISP, dedicated for audio modem and dedicated for audio router.
So it is not isolated by softwere only but a totally separeted form any traffic/ infuence.
There is only extreme , ipad and access point in that network.

I have a dedicated fibre from ISP, dedicated for audio modem and dedicated for audio router.
So it is not isolated by softwere only but a totally separeted form any traffic/ infuence.
There is only extreme , ipad and access point in that network.

Cannot think of any benefits to using ipv6 then.

Reactions: Kris
If you preferred Roon over XDMS before the router/dcd you will most likely have a preference for the “alt2” filter, if you preferred XDMS chances are good you’ll prefer “alt1”.
the pearl of the day

Reactions: Taiko Audio
Just a quick reminder there was already some feedback posted by @Christiaan Punter describing his impressions of the filters in this thread and on our website here:
https://taikoaudio.com/taiko-2020/c...distributor-tests-at-taiko-hq/?v=796834e7a283

Something to keep in mind when comparing filters is that each individual filter is prone to burn-in effects. They use the highest possible quality parts available like Duelund capacitors which do take about 5 days or so to loose their initial “veil” after which clarity, sophistication, micro detailing and dynamics are at a significantly higher level. You will probably not notice this veil initially as this is offset by the increased clarity of inserting the router/dcd into the chain, but if you change filters after these 5 days those which have had some burn-in may sound better to you just because of that.

That is awesome to hear! I did read Christian's impression and thank you for clarifying the filter preferences for both ROON and XDMS.

Reactions: Taiko Audio
Emile
Any comment on the DC cable itself that you are using? As you know, there are many DC cables to choose from (all easily sourced from Ghent audio). When I received the switch, I went through about 4 cables and wound up preferring the Mundorf silver-gold amalgam. I guess I'll continue to use that for the switch and one of your provided DC cables for the router. But these are relatively minor cost items so if there is a specific cable you prefer over your stock cable, please feel free to comment.
Marty

My DACCable output from the router seems unable to make a connection- I know this because when I plug in a lan cable from the rightmost port (next to the DACCable) to the extreme, everything worked perfectly...

Anyone else have this issue?

My DACCable output from the router seems unable to make a connection- I know this because when I plug in a lan cable from the rightmost port (next to the DACCable) to the extreme, everything worked perfectly...

Anyone else have this issue?
I had the same issue and Emile had me turn off and then power cycle the DCD stack and once the green lights of the router are flashing remove and reinsert the DAC cable from the NIC and that completes the connection. The IP address does not change. In fact this is the order to make the connection when the router needs restarting or wifi signal is lost

Just received my router/dcd. Man.. that is heavy. Unfortunately, I had to switch off my system due to the storms we had last night. I have to wait for another 5 days for the system reach its peak potential before I can listen in. The good news is that the router will also be ready by then..

Reactions: ctydwn
I had the same issue and Emile had me turn off and then power cycle the DCD stack and once the green lights of the router are flashing remove and reinsert the DAC cable from the NIC and that completes the connection. The IP address does not change. In fact this is the order to make the connection when the router needs restarting or wifi signal is lost
Thanks for the info- tried that, it doesn't work. I'm tired, been at it for hours before I realised the DAC Cable connection was the issue. Going to just do it on ethernet cable and hope Taiko can help me out.

Last edited:
Yeah:

Default:

Alt1:

Alt2:

Hi Emile.. Just wanted to clarify when it comes to ALT1 and ALT2 filters. I assume that we will be using ALT1 or ALT2 to power the SWITCH and NOT THE ROUTER? If we were to power the switch using either ALT1 or ALT2, what will be the recommendation to power the ROUTER? Use DEFAULT or UNFILTERED? Could you please clarify? - Thx

Hi Emile.. Just wanted to clarify when it comes to ALT1 and ALT2 filters. I assume that we will be using ALT1 or ALT2 to power the SWITCH and NOT THE ROUTER? If we were to power the switch using either ALT1 or ALT2, what will be the recommendation to power the ROUTER? Use DEFAULT or UNFILTERED? Could you please clarify? - Thx
From above:

"Note that you should not take this as how you will perceive this yourself as your preferred outcome can depend on your powersupply/utility, system setup and your own individual perception and preference. Highly recommend to give them all a serious audition. The quickest way is to just switch the DC cable powering the switch between them as that will only cause a few seconds of “downtime”."

I would suspect that the final configuration of the DCD will be highly individual. There is no "right" or "wrong" set of filters -- why not get five days on some starting config to get hours on the DCD and new router and then start experimenting. That's my plan.

Steve Z

From above:

"Note that you should not take this as how you will perceive this yourself as your preferred outcome can depend on your powersupply/utility, system setup and your own individual perception and preference. Highly recommend to give them all a serious audition. The quickest way is to just switch the DC cable powering the switch between them as that will only cause a few seconds of “downtime”."

I would suspect that the final configuration of the DCD will be highly individual. There is no "right" or "wrong" set of filters -- why not get five days on some starting config to get hours on the DCD and new router and then start experimenting. That's my plan.

Steve Z
Understood Steve. I do plan on doing that. Looking at the back of DCD, that was my first question that came to my mind. I was hoping to get a "pearl" dropped by Emile on that particular scenario.

Reactions: Dezy
Emile
Any comment on the DC cable itself that you are using? As you know, there are many DC cables to choose from (all easily sourced from Ghent audio). When I received the switch, I went through about 4 cables and wound up preferring the Mundorf silver-gold amalgam. I guess I'll continue to use that for the switch and one of your provided DC cables for the router. But these are relatively minor cost items so if there is a specific cable you prefer over your stock cable, please feel free to comment.
Marty

I like and use the ones we supplied, you could prefer something else. You can finetune it to your taste anyway, mundorf sg is more in line with the signature of filter “alt 1”.

Reactions: marty

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing