Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Some interesting snippets of information above. Take the above quote. Theoretically it doesn’t make sense for an upstream cable with no feed into the final locally stored stream to affect SQ but according to CKK it does. This is also my experience with my Innuos Statement. Is it because the upgraded cable allows less EMI into the system? I’ve upgraded several upstream remote stream cables and each time heard a useful uptick in performance from locally streamed files.

Re the AQVox question......the PS on the AQVox can be significantly upgraded, despite the manufacturer’s claim to the contrary. I added a Sean Jacobs designed CHC DC3 to an AQVox and the level of improvement was hard to believe, considering all I’d changed was the power supply to a switch. However if you think about it, what comes out of the AQVox is a voltage stream generated from the DC3’s 5 volts, so maybe not so surprising.

Finally regarding the SoTM TXUltra. I also found this to be a downgrade to the Innuos’s USB stream so there’s no doubt its 2 cables, extra PS etc is going to degrade the Extreme’s USB output. In my experience a good USB cable (in my case a Synergistic Research) gave me the best SQ
Having tested SOTM TX ultra on the Extreme and agreed: it's a downgrade. Sablon usb cable (Powered and un-powered) both worked pretty good on the Extreme. I will try the new Intona 3, per Emile findings.

Having tested SOTM TX ultra on the Extreme and agreed: it's a downgrade. Sablon usb cable (Powered and un-powered) both worked pretty good on the Extreme. I will try the new Intona 3, per Emile findings.

Looking forward to your experiences with that. You would need the powered Sablon on the Extreme side as the Intona is powered by the Extreme.

It can be quite easy:

Most of the Extreme owners use this:

Shopping list:
1 x Startech ET91000SFP2 Fiber Media Converter
2 x Startech SFP1000ZXST SFP Modules
1 x Fiber cable at needed length, 9/125 OS2 low loss quality, LC connectors on both sides

Setup:
1) connect the Startech ET91000SFP2 Fiber Media Converter to either main switch or ISP router with a copper UTP cable
2) insert 1 Startech SFP1000ZXST SFP Module into the Startech ET91000SFP2 FMC SFP slot
3) insert 1 Startech SFP1000ZXST SFP Module into the Extreme SFP slot
4) connect Fiber cable to the SFP modules mentioned in Step 2 and 3

All of them are thrilled with the improvement over a regular copper UTP cable between server and switch or ISP router, none of them had any issues getting it to work.

COMPLETELY optional tweaks:
-Replace FMC power supply with a high quality LPS
-Replace Ethernet copper cable from FMC to switch/ISP router with an audiophile version of your choice
-Replace Switch (if used) with an audiophile version
-Replace Switch and/or ISP router powersupplies with a high quality LPS

I highlighted COMPLETELY because most are already so satisfied with the performance at this stage they are not that eager to try and squeeze out more.

I have been reading this thread with great interest.At first It seemed me to be a simple plug and play box however I have to say that after reading this last post that either all the tweakers know more than Emile or it has in my mind become a piece of equipment that is ridiculously difficult to hook up with all of these extra add-ons
Surely this Extreme was not designed by Emile that in order for proper sound one has to go out after spending big cash and do all this puhtzing with the Extreme to make it sound better or to sound like the Extreme was designed to sound

If truly all of this extra foofrou is required to play this otherwise very heavy and very well made box it leaves me scratching my head and has me turning my head in a different direction if I were considering buying an Extreme

This thread's title said it all for me but when I read what Emile recommends as a shopping list after spending big money makes zero sense to me. I thought it was the creme de la creme but it seems it is but only with all of these additional things to purchase

I have been reading this thread with great interest.At first It seemed me to be a simple plug and play box however I have to say that after reading this last post that either all the tweakers know more than Emile or it has in my mind become a piece of equipment that is ridiculously difficult to hook up with all of these extra add-ons
Surely this Extreme was not designed by Emile that in order for proper sound one has to go out after spending big cash and do all this puhtzing with the Extreme to make it sound better or to sound like the Extreme was designed to sound

If truly all of this extra foofrou is required to play this otherwise very heavy and very well made box it leaves me scratching my head and has me turning my head in a different direction if I were considering buying an Extreme

This thread's title said it all for me but when I read what Emile recommends as a shopping list after spending big money makes zero sense to me. I thought it was the creme de la creme but it seems it is but only with all of these additional things to purchase

Steve, If you want to simplify you can go this route: https://www.djmelectronics.com/gigafoilv4-inline-ethernet-filter.html.
https://power-holdings-inc.com/Keces-P8-8-Amp-Ultra-Low-Noise-Linear-Power-Supply-p137036155.

My question is .... when one buys an expensive piece of equipment such as the creme de la creme Extrene IMHO it should be just that without the need to add any of these tweaks. If this is everything that one needs to complete the purchase and have the creme de la creme I am frankly surprised. and somewhat disappointed. For this amount of money and ones expectations IMHO yiu should get all of that without the need for all of these additions. Why should one need a shopping list after they buy the Extreme to tweak the Extreme.

Steve, looking fwds to the AF0 being released w integrated arm/cart/phono.

Steve, looking fwds to the AF0 being released w integrated arm/cart/phono.
And your point is what Mark other than changing the question Is this an AF0 thread

Reactions: bonzo75
My question is .... when one buys an expensive piece of equipment such as the creme de la creme Extrene IMHO it should be just that without the need to add any of these tweaks. If this is everything that one needs to complete the purchase and have the creme de la creme I am frankly surprised. and somewhat disappointed. For this amount of money and ones expectations IMHO yiu should get all of that without the need for all of these additions. Why should one need a shopping list after they buy the Extreme to tweak the Extreme.

Steve, No one said you have to purchase any "add-ons". They are not required other than you need one ethernet to fiber converter to run FO from the modem to the server, which Emile supplies if requested when he ships the Extreme. Any other add-ons are for those that want to optimize their entire digital front end, from modem>server>dac.

The Extreme is pretty much plug/play and can be up and running in 15 minutes after it is set in place.

I for one am so grateful not to just Emile but to all of those that have contributed to this thread with "add-ons" that they have tried and tested and found to offer a sonic improvement.

Steve, No one said you have to purchase any "add-ons". They are not required other than you need one ethernet to fiber converter to run FO from the modem to the server, which Emile supplies if requested when he ships the Extreme. Any other add-ons are for those that want to optimize their entire digital front end, from modem>server>dac.

The Extreme is pretty much plug/play and can be up and running in 15 minutes after it is set in place.

I for one am so grateful not to just Emile but to all of those that have contributed to this thread with "add-ons" that they have tried and tested and found to offer a sonic improvement.
I get your point. I understand

My point is this is the most expensive unit of its kind and IMO it should perform to the max by simply plug and play Emile is a genius at this but yet somehow he has overlooked this???

I get your point. I understand

My point is this is the most expensive unit of its kind and IMO it should perform to the max by simply plug and play Emile is a genius at this but yet somehow he has overlooked this???

I understand you're point as well:) but I don't quite agreee. I feel that the Extreme with no add-ons is as good as any server on this planet.

The add-ons that have been suggested go beyond the server that Taiko offers. They are usb cables and networking items which if you purchase ANY server the same type add-ons would be available if one chooses to pursue them.

It would not make technical sense for Emile/Taiko audio to include usb cables and FO interfaces as they may in fact be system dependent. These are items ie, whe you buy a pre or an amp you buy the cables, isolation devices etc. that suit your preferences.

These are the only add-ons that people have been recommending and they are not really part of the Extreme itself.

Steve, was just a light hearted comment that even the priciest items can benefit from add ons.

An AF0 will benefit from the best stand, yes? So, an Extreme will benefit from the best switch, and even more, the best switch w LPS.

The AFO will benefit from lps cleaned on an ultrasonic cleaner, yes? Well, you don't have to buy one to enjoy the AF0. But...

One last point, say one buys an Aurender N10. You can't just "plug it in", you have to buy a usb cable to connect to your dac and you have to decide how to connect it to your modem/network.

The Extreme is no different, EXCEPT, here in this thread you have a global audience/experimenters that have tested the best network options and the best usb options for those that are interested to either try them or at least know that they are available.

I feel that the Extreme with no add-ons is as good as any server on this planet.

That is precisely my point . I have never understood how people feel they can outsmart the device's creator.

Let me ask the question as I learned so well from my friend marty

If the performance of the Extreme right out of the box is worth a dollar, how much is the Extreme's performance worth with all of these add on's ??

$1.10, $150 or ???

That is precisely my point . I have never understood how people feel they can outsmart the device's creator.

Let me ask the question as I learned so well from my friend marty

If the performance of the Extreme right out of the box is worth a dollar, how much is the Extreme's performance worth with all of these add on's ??

$1.10, $150 or ???

My personal experience with the Extreme is that if I just used the usb cable that I already own and the FO connection that I already own I would have gotten 98% of the Extreme sound. The extra information from not only Emile and the other posters gave me a few % of sonic performance.

For me personally after hearing the Extreme I made my decision that this is "the real deal" and any little item that I can add that will optimize the Extreme I want to explore. I don't need to, I just want to because I found my true path.

So if you got 98% of the Extreme Sound by adding these tweaks you were able to hear a 2% difference??

No, I get 98% of the Extreme sound "without' adding these tweaks and really they are not tweaks. You need them for any server. It's the Extreme itself that creates it's sonic magic.

I can't really quantify it % wise. I changed the usb cable and the FO links just to give them a try. The usb cable that I bought from this thread sounds great, but there are probably 5-10 others that one might prefer the sound. The FO links I can't really say that I heard a difference but the total cost was $300 so I bought them just for the heck of it as it had been tested by Emile and other and was known to not have any issues.

My point would be that you don't need ANY add-ons, but you do need a usb cable and a connection from your modem, just like you do with any server that you might purchase.

Last edited:
My point would be that you don't need ANY add-ons, but you do need a usb cable and a connection from your modem, just like you do with any server that you might purchase.

To me all that should be required is an USB cable. Plug and play

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing