Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
On the Taiko switch design, given the reports for some time that pairs of switches, be they Sotm's or Buffalos, provide enhanced noise rejection or sq, I wonder if any thought is going into trying to replicate that enhancement in a single chassis?

I would not call that “enhanced noise rejection” but not interested in arguing ;). Anyway the ports in our project are completely seperated, PHYs AND powersupplies.

Reactions: scottrogers

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
It can be used in the following scenarios and will do well in all:
Fiber -> switch -> copper -> Extreme
Copper -> switch -> fiber -> Extreme
Copper -> switch -> copper -> Extreme

Do two or multiple Taiko switches provide further improvements?
Thanks

Matt

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Do two or multiple Taiko switches provide further improvements?
Thanks

Matt
I was waiting for that question:eek:

I thought Emile's goal with this switch is to obviate the need for everything else

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
Dear Marcin
Many of us are shocked how good jplay is currently with extreme.
With Emile settings and his great help I got in serious problem.
I simply can’t get out of my audio room now. It is so addictive.

I got much more interested in your softwere knowledge.
I checked your web page „Jplay manual ” and was wondering if you could please be so kind to
recommend additional changes in registry or other settings for a
SINGLE COMPUTER use as the Taiko Extreme.

I know that this pictures I attach below are not the only thing that can improve overall playback from Jplay based computer.
As a Jplay creator and very talented audio expert could you please share with us a little of your experience?
Thank you

Attachments

• 1257405C-FE6E-4EA2-8515-7B5D42DD292A.jpg
    1257405C-FE6E-4EA2-8515-7B5D42DD292A.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 25
  • C32EB5DE-5715-4147-AFFB-BAF035C0988C.jpeg
    C32EB5DE-5715-4147-AFFB-BAF035C0988C.jpeg
    86.9 KB · Views: 27

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
I was waiting for that question:eek:

I thought Emile's goal with this switch is to obviate the need for everything else

I think the delta between one and two Taiko switches might be similar to the delta between one and two Daizas :)

Matt

Last edited:

wil

Jul 22, 2015
I hope not! But we’ll only find out for sure when we have multiple production units available.

I hope not too!

For me, it begs the question as to what is going on when many have found that two Sotm's or 4 Buffalo's joined together are resulting in significant sq improvements, with even exclamations like "stellar" for a pairing of two, and "stratospheric" for a double pairing of four. And, what in the Taiko switch design would (hopefully) make a multiple switch configuration a moot point.,

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
If the "output" of the switch which goes to the Extreme is of somewhat slightly better quality that the "input" from the modem/router, then....... :)

Matt

Last edited:

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
I would not call that “enhanced noise rejection” but not interested in arguing ;). Anyway the ports in our project are completely seperated, PHYs AND powersupplies.

Dear Emile
I know is early but would you mind sharing some Taiko Switch pictures when the time comes ?
Just 2 active ports are planned ? In and out ?

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Dear Emile
I know is early but would you mind sharing some Taiko Switch pictures when the time comes ?
Just 2 active ports are planned ? In and out ?

3, 2 rj45 (copper), 1 SFP (typically used for fiber but there are copper SFP cables too, both passive and active, not bad at all btw).

Reactions: Kris

heebrog

May 12, 2018
Perth, WA
Hi Emile.

Will TAS have the capacity to load a convolution filter for DSP?

Can you please clarify if the previous discussion regarding JPlay is for Beta TAS or Roon playback.

G

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Hi G,

For loading convolution filters outputting to HQPlayer would be an option to go, we’re working on the interface right now. (HQPlayer can load convolution filters).

Jplay is available as an ASIO driver to the system, you can use it as an output for either Roon, TAS or HQPlayer.

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
I would not call that “enhanced noise rejection” but not interested in arguing ;). Anyway the ports in our project are completely separated, PHYs AND power supplies.

i want to really commend emile for what he is doing here--designing units together to have synergy and to jointly/holistically improve sound quality.
as he said, he is not trying to design a best switch for all situations, but a best switch for feeding an extreme. this is as much about synergy of design as the internals of the extreme are.

imho, there is no 'enhanced noise rejection' from cascaded switches, but an interaction of buffer size/buffer management/flow control/refresh/L1 processing/etc that when doubled can sometimes yield a benefit............but that is essentially random and a result of the fact that we don't know exactly what is going on------while emile does have a handle on some ways to best integrate and optimize these things.

there has been a lot of good empirical investigations, and practical results, from the mega-AS thread as well as informed and wild speculation on the causes of such improvements. i do not believe that a switch has a good or bad sound, but can be good or bad integrated with other equipment.
lots of good stuff has emerged from this semi-random experimentation along with clues as to what may actually going on. there is clearly a lot going on in the digital chain. hopefully emile's work is leading to a lessening of sensitivity to undesired changes (e.g. roon updates, streaming services, other network activity) and some immunity of taiko's great sound to the messy world around us.

Johnny Moondog

Oct 30, 2014
“The first rule about Taiko Audio is: what happens before the Switch, stays before the Switch!”

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
I would just like to point out that no matter how many switches you put in the chain, any improvement you make to the power supplies of the entire stream can be heard in terms of improved sound quality. Not changes in tonal characteristics; that’s not what I mean. Improvements. For example more spacial resolution, greater micro-dynamics (the dynamics of quiet, subtle sections of music or single notes), greater tonal saturation, greater textural resolution, greater resolution of subtle instrument and voice characteristics, more venue acoustic clues, improved clarity, purity and transparency, greater speed, drive and impetus.....in other words, more information or alternatively, less masking of subtle detail that our brains seem to adore when it comes to reconstructing the musical event and believing it to be the real thing.

Have you ever made an upgrade and suddenly the music makes more sense? Subtle rhythms and interplays revealed? Those are the sort of things I mean when I say improvements. When you take a piece of music you didn’t particularly care for and all of a sudden it blows you away?

Last edited:

Skanda

May 2, 2020
momentous news gents, my extreme arrived today! got it rigged up using some spare cables. it's not super optimal but basically i just wanted to get it up and running. roon discovered it as asia, wasapi, and jplay so i opted for the jplay one and it's singing. first track, i deff notice something interesting happening. i hope to be in touch with emile soon about getting this set up the right way.

also, when my schedule frees up a bit/if i have some free time, i'm going to create a separate thread where i will detail how its singing on a daily or weekly basis just as i get my bearings to give more of a "what it's like to own/what i'm hearing" impression rather than a review after months of owning. i'm going to compare it to my tremendous rockna wavedream net server. the taiko is in a different league price wise but it has its work cut out for it with how well the rockna does. i'm not a paid reviewer or anything so these are just my observations as this piece opens up and how it compares.

wil

Jul 22, 2015
3, 2 rj45 (copper), 1 SFP (typically used for fiber but there are copper SFP cables too, both passive and active, not bad at all btw).

Do you know yet what size the input pin will be for the DC cable? Thanks

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
momentous news gents, my extreme arrived today! got it rigged up using some spare cables. it's not super optimal but basically i just wanted to get it up and running. roon discovered it as asia, wasapi, and jplay so i opted for the jplay one and it's singing. first track, i deff notice something interesting happening. i hope to be in touch with emile soon about getting this set up the right way.

also, when my schedule frees up a bit/if i have some free time, i'm going to create a separate thread where i will detail how its singing on a daily or weekly basis just as i get my bearings to give more of a "what it's like to own/what i'm hearing" impression rather than a review after months of owning. i'm going to compare it to my tremendous rockna wavedream net server. the taiko is in a different league price wise but it has its work cut out for it with how well the rockna does. i'm not a paid reviewer or anything so these are just my observations as this piece opens up and how it compares.
Nothing like a beautiful new piece of kit with all the thrills of sonic upgrades as the performance unfolds. Its definitely one of life’s great pleasures, at least for an audiophile. Enjoy
And as you start your reports, could you please give us some details about the system and network in which its installed. Understanding the context always adds to the interest and enjoyment.:)
Thanks

Reactions: Skanda

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing