Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
You are like my friends who bought W20SE server because there is no Taiko dealer here then question which is better; you dont know until you do direct comparison; blah blah. I was just like lets look at the pathetic piece of ... PSU from W20SE or LinQ and thats done for me.
I asked a simple question out of curiosity. You subjectively flipped it to satiate your limited mind. Sad, but true. Happy Listening my friend!

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
I asked a simple question out of curiosity.

AFAIK, there are no reports so far where the Extreme plus "network interface" to DAC can outperform the Extreme direct to DAC.

Prefering a NAA configuration with HQP the best seems to be to allocate one CPU of the Extreme to HQP and the other to NAA.

Regarding this topic do exist references on WBF and AS.

Matt

Last edited:

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
We should keep this thread free from "argumentum ad hominem".

Matt

Last edited:
Reactions: sbo6 and howiebrou

heebrog

May 12, 2018
Perth, WA
AFAIK, there are no reports so far where the Extreme plus "network interface" to DAC can outperform the Extreme direct to DAC.

Prefering a NAA configuration with HQP the best seems to be to allocate one CPU of the Extreme to HQP and the other to NAA.

Regarding this topic do exist references on WBF and AS.

Matt
wrt to allocation of CPU when using HQP, is this done automatically by Extreme or is there some configuration required?

Hieukm

Oct 2, 2016
Guy come in and ask, has anyone compared dartzeel 468s to a 10 years old naim amp? Whats the guy trying to accomplish?

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Guy come in and ask, has anyone compared dartzeel 468s to a 10 years old naim amp? Whats the guy trying to accomplish?
We should keep this thread free from "argumentum ad hominem".

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
wrt to allocation of CPU when using HQP, is this done automatically by Extreme or is there some configuration required?

AFAIK, the most experienced guys with this configuration are @hols and @austinpop
They posted mostly about on AS but I think also here on WBF.
For further info I would contact them or Emile from TA.

Matt

Reactions: heebrog

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
CPU affinity can manually be done in Task Manager in Windows quite simply. It can also be done via a script at startup and also in the registry, quite easily. There are also apps that can do it like Lasso. I'm sure Taiko is doing this automatically to ensure consistency and optimum sonic performance. For non - Taiko owners, I do it manually after boot; easy peasy.

Reactions: heebrog

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
After giving this a bit of thought and in the interest of trying to take the glass half - full approach (sometime a challenge for me admittedly) I decided to explain myself for those not aware of the Aqua LinQ and its quality and possible integration with the Extreme.

First my thoughts were based on sonic benefits many of us have heard implementing a streamer / renderer in between a music server and DAC. In this regard the LinQ is regarded as one of the best and since noone has tried implementing the LinQ in serial with the digital signal, it’s possible it’s better, especially with its I2S output to DAC (which I can attest to being better than USB).

A few reviews:
Aqua LinQ Network Interface | HFA - The Independent Source for Audio Equipment Reviews (hifi-advice.com)
Foto a pagina intera (aquahifi.com)

Second – addressing the derogatory comments regarding my thoughts on a LinQ to Extreme compare like, “Let me guess” and “the pathetic PSU from W20SE or LinQ” – as far as I can tell the PSU in the LinQ is identical to the Formula XHD DAC which Emile himself owns. Addressing the last derogatory and comical (IMO) comment above stating, "Guy come in and ask, has anyone compared dartzeel 468s to a 10 years old naim amp? Whats the guy trying to accomplish?” The Linq is not 10 years old, it’s brand new and again, they are different products.

In addition, in terms of cost a renderer should be significantly lower than a full music server so the solutions are not apples to apples. That said, the LinQ is one of the most expensive renderers at ~$7K USD MSRP with 1 module.

Net is – you never know until you try and with SOTA products like the Extreme or the LinQ you might just get a coupled improvement. Hence the inquiry.

And as always, Happy Listening to all and be safe!

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
I tried both the MSB Renderer and PRO USB on the Extreme.....the USB much preferred

Last edited:

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
I tried both thr MSB Renderer and PRO USB on the Extreme.....the USB much preferred
Thanks for your feedback. If you wouldn't mind sharing details it would be appreciated (App - ROON, other?. any other details)..

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
I tried both thr MSB Renderer and PRO USB on the Extreme.....the USB much preferred

IMO, a network connection between Extreme and DAC will reduce SQ.

Matt

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
I second that.

Further TAS is able to reduce the negative impact of network activity to nearly zero.
So I suppose with an additional network renderer the DAC receives much more negative impact from the network than directly via the Extreme.

Matt

Last edited:

ray-dude

Dec 8, 2019
Folks here may not consider good news to hear (and apologies in advance to your wallets), but I just purchased a Sound Application PGI TT7 power line conditioner. Even though I already have a dedicated 30A circuit and Sablon King for my Extreme, the step up in speed and openness and transparency going through the TT7 is non trivial (to say the least).

A lot more experimentation to be done over the break, but the Extreme continues to HANDSOMELY reward high quality inputs (in this case, power)

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Folks here may not consider good news to hear (and apologies in advance to your wallets), but I just purchased a Sound Application PGI TT7 power line conditioner. Even though I already have a dedicated 30A circuit and Sablon King for my Extreme, the step up in speed and openness and transparency going through the TT7 is non trivial (to say the least).

A lot more experimentation to be done over the break, but the Extreme continues to HANDSOMELY reward high quality inputs (in this case, power)
Congrats :)

Certainly not robbing the piggy bank :cool:

Matt

ray-dude

Dec 8, 2019
Certainly not robbing the piggy bank :cool:

I resisted getting into power line conditioning for a VERY long time, although trusted ears like Roy's have been pointing me in that direction for a while. I wanted to be sure that the rest of my system was stabilize and optimized before going there. My fear was using PLC to tune around other issues in the system, and then having things out of balance once I had sorted those issues out.

After a very long process, finally at the place where I'm really diving into power (more on that later). The PGI TT7 and Extreme is everything Roy highlights about speed and impact is real. I'm just surprised how much of an impact it has, with the baseline of a dedicated circuit and killer power cord like the Sablon King.

As always, power tweaks are very system dependent. For all I know, I may have a neighbor with an arc welder, and a TT7 makes more of a difference for me than others, but this is a very pleasant early Christmas surprise!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing