Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Is there a big difference in SQ between the Qobuz Hi Res Masters and their normal 16/44 versions ? whether its through downloading or streaming ?

You also have to realize that the mastering may not be the same between the hi res and Redbook versions. Many variables at work here.

wil

Jul 22, 2015
When we designed the Extreme about 2.5 years ago, network utilization was rather benign. The effect of your "network quality" was quite minimal. Back then I could just run a 25 meter / 75 foot cheap CAT5 network cable to a 20 Euro Netgear switch and get excellent results. Replacing the switch with a "better quality" one and using audiophile quality network cables was audible, but limited to being a "nice tweak", certainly not worth significant expense. We added a Fiber network card which did provide a small but nice increase in clarity for a very minor additional investment.

But as time passed things changed. A significant increase in network utilization caused by increased functionality provided by music playback software and perhaps an overall higher utilization / usage of network based sources started to increase the effect of your home network layout, up to a point where using higher quality switches became mayor.

With TAS we have found a way to turn back the clock to where we were in the early days of the Extreme as far as network quality sensitivity goes. The magnitude of the SQ delta between Roon and TAS for example therefor partially depends on the "quality" of your network makeup. TAS is simply not very sensitive to it. I am pleased to be able to report you can once again have very good results by just using a standard, non audiophile network setup.

I am going to repeat myself here on another feature of TAS which is the algorithm we developed to ameliorate differences in where your music is sourced from. I cannot take credit for this personally, the idea was concocted by @EuroDriver during a morning shower and further refined and coded by Wilson. Credit where credit's due. The virgin version was ready for sound testing 6 months ago and showed clear differences, it has gone through multiple iterations since then, and I'm sure it will go through many more in the future as there is no lack of ideas to further improve it. This is a significant invention as it has the potential to completely remove all and any differences between locations where your music files are sourced from, reducing file storage impact to lower the time it takes for the algorithm to execute it's cycle. This is not just simple file caching, nor a simple play from memory scheme. We do use a ram disk with TAS to store those files but the main reason for that is to reduce the algorithm execution time. As an additional bonus, it also improves playback quality from files on local storage.

So to answer a multitude of questions posted prior to this post, yes we are travelling a road where NAS, Qobuz or other remote storage location playback may become just as good as files sourced from local storage. How close we are right now is up to the BETA testers to cast their verdict on. If a BETA tester finds significant differences, please report those to us so we can investigate and remediate.

The bottom line being, there is a future in sight where you do not have to worry about how you rip your CDs, or where your files are located, or whether you've copied them too often. We will however never be able to remediate differences in mastering techniques. Though perhaps by other means as here's a link to the first recording mastered using an Extreme! HELMET OF GNATS: TRAVELOGUE
This is a really interesting post from Emile.
It gives some confirmation of some things I was thinking:

-- That I can change my Qobuz subscription from Sublime to Premiere as there is likely no difference between streaming and local on these files. I'll continue to stream primarily and go to sites such as highdeftapetransfer., nativedsd, etc. to curate higher quality downloads much the way vinylphiles search out great pressings.

-- That the magnitude of the TAS improvement over Roon is relative to one's network quality. A user in Brooklyn may see a bigger delta than someone in a low density neighborhood.

I'll be curious to see how Roon 1.8 sounds. Personally, TAS beta gives me all the functionality I really need in it's present form. And the aesthetics are good! I believe Roon Radio is the best thing Roon offers, but not having it with TAS has brought me back to listening to my Library rather than constantly consuming new music like a ravenous shark. Sometimes having fewer choices is clarifying.

Last edited:

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
That the magnitude of the TAS improvement over Roon is relative to one's network quality. A user in Brooklyn may see a bigger delta than someone in a low density neighborhood.

@Taiko Audio
@EuroDriver

In the case of a very sophisticated network configuration can TAS and Roon really sound on par?
Thanks

Matt

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
@Taiko Audio
@EuroDriver

In the case of a very sophisticated network configuration can TAS and Roon really sound on par?
Thanks

Matt
I SURELY don't think so. I have a pretty hefty network running into the Extreme running Roon. TAS makes Roon sound like a MP3's in comparison, but that is still with the same network connected.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Last edited:
Reactions: matthias

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
That has always been very minor on the Extreme, a trade off between CPU cycles (flac decompression) and Disk active time (larger file). I have not tested the difference with TAS yet but do expect similar results.

does qobuz deliver WAV or compressed WAV via streaming?

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
I to am missing albums in TAS..I just identified 3 in one small folder. How do I get TAS to rescan my music files?

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
I to am missing albums in TAS..I just identified 3 in one small folder. How do I get TAS to rescan my music files?

I quickly grabbed this from the manual and edited it as I'm out of office, if you select Information in the settings screen and scroll down a bit on the next page there's a "rescan library" button. There is also an automatic scanning feature but we are still figuring out how to make that inaudible.

Untitled.png

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Yes did a rescan In the folder I'm looking at TAS reports 33 items when there are 36. Thats my small folder...I wonder how many in the Tb folders TAS might have missed....and I wonder why TAS is missing them

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
I was thinking about exactly this in the shower this morning ;-)

Fundamently very difficult, but even to partly mitigate would be nice as well.
Ed, you should really consider spending more time in the shower. All of us are benefiting from your dedication to cleanliness -- and thinking!

Steve Z

Reactions: EuroDriver

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Yes did a rescan In the folder I'm looking at TAS reports 33 items when there are 36. Thats my small folder...I wonder how many in the Tb folders TAS might have missed....and I wonder why TAS is missing them
The missed items might be a metadata tagging issue. I have had the same problem with some items added to the Extreme's internal storage showing up in Roon, too. I've experienced missing a file or two in TAS, but not nearly as often as with Roon.

Multiple library rescans would not cause the problem titles to appear. Most of the time if I opened Yate (Mac metadata tagging program) and retagged the file, it would eventually appear in Roon. But in a few cases, not. So far, with TAS all of my missing files seem to have been metadata tag issues. Though it could be coincidental that after retagging and rescanning the missing file(s) have reappeared but so far I've been 100% successful in getting files to show after retagging.

I know with TAS there was a issue early on with special characters and/or invisible characters in the file or the file's path would causing problems but that was related to the files showing but not playing; Wilson has, as far as I know, taken care of that particular problem.

Steve

Last edited:

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
As Oldmustang says it’s probably a metadata issue. I had 10 DSD titles which Wilson managed to rename successfully and they appeared in TAS after a rescan. The issue, if I have this correct, is there were some Unicode characters that required deleting before TAS found the files. I’m not computer savvy enough to understand why they are there or how you find them but deleting the Unicode worked.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
I thought about tags but these went into Roon with no issue...

Looks like TAS didnt like titles that end with a ?.....

Last edited:

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Same here, no problem with Roon. The guys will sort it out, don’t worry.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Does TAS allow you to create views like jriver does or bookmarks like Roon? That is, can you define a set of albums based on a combination of criteria or filters?

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
By now, you have probably all received an email from Roon about the 1.8 update. I posted a perfectly benign question about the anticipated SQ of Roon 1.8. My question was scrubbed!! Why am I not surprised?

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
By now, you have probably all received an email from Roon about the 1.8 update. I posted a perfectly benign question about the anticipated SQ of Roon 1.8. My question was scrubbed!! Why am I not surprised?
The arrogance and absolute inability of anyone from Roon to even entertain the possibility that their sound quality could be improved is really beginning to tick me off. Given the five year head start they have on TAS and the much greater resources they have to devote to development it's not surprising that their UI would be (mostly) more mature and full-featured.

However, I'm rapidly getting to the point that even were Roon (totally unlikely) or Taiko (much more likely) able to eliminate the sound quality penalty of Roon, I likely wouldn't use it anymore. And I am an early Roon adopter with a lifetime subscription long since paid for.

Steve Z

Reactions: nonesup

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Does TAS allow you to create views like jriver does or bookmarks like Roon? That is, can you define a set of albums based on a combination of criteria or filters?
No. I have suggested this feature. Hopefully, they will implement in the future.

From Roon 1.8 video, it seems that their Focus function is much improved and is similar to Jriver view.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing