Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Thanks very much, Steve. Lots to look forward to. And don't worry about not being able to help Emile testing his new dCS drivers -- he installed some beta mods to my Extreme earlier today -- VERY nice uptick in sound quality, particularly with Roon (which I had pretty much abandoned in favor of TAS).

Reading your description it appears that a 75% OS install passes at least one of my two informal "volume tests". That is, can I play my music louder without the sound quality hardening or becoming too much in my face and prompting me to reach for the remote; and, can I play my music softer without losing vibrancy, dynamics, clarity and most importantly, emotional involvement? On the latter count at least it sounds as if Emile's modifications pass with flying colors.

Exciting times!

Steve Z
I totally agree about what you said re gain control.

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015
I'm looking for a few people willing to beta-test a new driver, DCS or MSB owners using Roon ONLY as this specific test only applies to those 2 DAC brands + Roon. This involves evaluating 2 configurations for both 16/44.1 and 24/96 or higher resolution files. Please only apply if you can run several comparisons fast as I'd like to verify this discovery very short term (1-2 days maximum). It would be extra convenient if teamviewer sessions availability is reasonable between 8:00 and 23:00 CET (Amsterdam time).
I'm standing by and ready to help any way I can!
Just let me know ... I'll make myself available for treamviewer also

Reactions: Taiko Audio

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Emile installed the new OS ( well actually 75% of the new OS) onto my Extreme.

What we are still working on at this point is applying part of these latest advances to TAS, we may not get there entirely as as you all know the TAS front-end is limited by LMS performance. TAS will need to be replaced with XDMS to stay competitive, but XDMS needs some rework at this stage. Further to this there's scope for improvement for a few Vendor specific USB implementations, DCS and MSB namely, but this probably applies to more brands. I do expect to be able to launch soon, the update process is down to around 2 minutes plus the time it takes to remote into an Extreme meaning potentially we could have everybody updated in just a few days. XDMS will launch with update and support features so from there on you can simply update yourself by clicking the update button. This includes an option to temporarily give us access to your Extreme should you be in need of support, all together this will save us a lot of time and allow us to make more frequent updates available to you.

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019
Was thinking quick time check. This thread just had its third anniversary yesterday and embarked on its 4th year. Special thanks to @CKKeung for originating the thread and the hundreds of participants that have weighed in since. Truly the most informative thread that has never gotten tired. And most amazingly the most exciting times appear to yet to come - literally as Emile just posted (saw a bubble just appear) the latest tantalizing update. Anyways thanks to all and the amazing Taiko team that continues to push such sonic boundaries while lending tireless user support.

Last edited:

simorag

Sep 14, 2017
Florence, Italy

Nils

Dec 16, 2021
Northern Sweden
I'm looking for a few people willing to beta-test a new driver, DCS or MSB owners using Roon ONLY as this specific test only applies to those 2 DAC brands + Roon. This involves evaluating 2 configurations for both 16/44.1 and 24/96 or higher resolution files. Please only apply if you can run several comparisons fast as I'd like to verify this discovery very short term (1-2 days maximum). It would be extra convenient if teamviewer sessions availability is reasonable between 8:00 and 23:00 CET (Amsterdam time).

And finally after a lot of evaluation i have to admit that the bass is indeed better on Roon.
AMAZING!

I saw Emile run a Powershell script changing a lot of settings on network card... It transformed my (already pretty good) system!

Roon+changes now easily eclipses TAS!
I haven't tried TAS with the changes yet - I am enjoying myself way too much...

The changes must have positively manipulated timing - there are so many positive changes - some of my listening notes:
- Instrument separation, soundstage clarity
- Bass strings rendered more distinctly, transients improved
- Wider soundstage, more air and separation between instruments
- Floating violin - amazing
- Percussion transients clearer

This is the biggest improvement in SQ so far I have experienced in my system!

Some tracks that really shine with the new settings (all tracks sound amazing - some a little bit more):

Holly Cole - Get out of town
Soren Bebe Trio - Homage
Pat Methany - Garota de Ipanema
Merit Hemmingson - Django

The above are both red book and hi-res - quality of the recording determine the relative improvement in SQ from your changes - not the resolution (as always).

Now I am intrigued about the pending changes from changing the USB Driver...

simorag

Sep 14, 2017
Florence, Italy
AMAZING!

I saw Emile run a Powershell script changing a lot of settings on network card... It transformed my (already pretty good) system!

Roon+changes now easily eclipses TAS!
I haven't tried TAS with the changes yet - I am enjoying myself way too much...

The changes must have positively manipulated timing - there are so many positive changes - some of my listening notes:
- Instrument separation, soundstage clarity
- Bass strings rendered more distinctly, transients improved
- Wider soundstage, more air and separation between instruments
- Floating violin - amazing
- Percussion transients clearer

This is the biggest improvement in SQ so far I have experienced in my system!

Some tracks that really shine with the new settings (all tracks sound amazing - some a little bit more):

Holly Cole - Get out of town
Soren Bebe Trio - Homage
Pat Methany - Garota de Ipanema
Merit Hemmingson - Django

The above are both red book and hi-res - quality of the recording determine the relative improvement in SQ from your changes - not the resolution (as always).

Now I am intrigued about the pending changes from changing the USB Driver...

Exciting feedback @Nils ! Was your listening done with files stored locally on the Extreme or streaming (Qobuz? Tidal?).

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Meanwhile I can share a few screenshots of XDMS for those interested:

This may seem an unfair question to some. :)

What restrictions did you place upon XDMS per design and function?

Surely there must have been something you were forced to leave out or limit for critical reasons.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
This may seem an unfair question to some. :)

What restrictions did you place upon XDMS per design and function?

Surely there must have been something you were forced to leave out or limit for critical reasons.

The only restriction is that anything negatively impacting sound quality is unacceptable.

Nils

Dec 16, 2021
Northern Sweden
Exciting feedback @Nils ! Was your listening done with files stored locally on the Extreme or streaming (Qobuz? Tidal?).
Hi!

It was all streamed via Qobuz - I will try out some local DSD256 later today.

This upgrade is crazy good - could not wipe out a crazy smile while listeneing.

Bit tired today since I didn't stop listening until 2am... :)

MOTU

Oct 17, 2019
I have a Nagra HD X, jumping with eagerness to be a beta tester!
Name: Yu Wang
Email: yuwang.se@gmail.com
Can be ready for Teamviewer at any time the coming hours.

Reactions: Taiko Audio

Kawero

Jan 24, 2022
We could use a few more testers owning one of the following DACs:

-EMM Labs DAC2V2
-EMM Labs DAC2X
-Esoteric Grandioso D1X
-Esoteric K-01X
-Esoteric K-01XD
-Esoteric K-03
-Ideon Absolute
-Nagra HD-X
-Nagra Tube Dac
-Wadax Reference
I have Wadax Ref Dac

2ndLiner

Dec 16, 2015
The only restriction is that anything negatively impacting sound quality is unacceptable.
There is a term in sports when speaking of a revered leader, "players coach." When I think of Emile the term "audiophile's audiophile" comes to mind. With the revelations that Extreme owners are sharing I am feeling grateful (to all the Taiko Team) and excited at what's to come!

Ultrafast69

VIP/Donor
Aug 27, 2018
Seattle, WA
www.audio-ultra.com
Is there a recommended pathway or consensus on: direct to the wall versus to a power supply/conditioner, for the Extreme?

For @Ultrafast69 (specifically): do you mean it is on a circuit separate from your other components; and on it's own grounded line/circuit, separate from the other components? Thanks.

Thanks to everyone for the incredibly warm and open-arms welcome!!!
Hi, yes. The Taiko Extreme resides on its own dedicated 20 amp circuit. Note: there are a few ways to dedicated circuits are implemented, we chose to design and have manufactured our own sub-panel that includes 6 branch circuits and receptacles all contained with a steel chassis. Happy to answer questions through DM in order to not get the Taiko thread off track.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing