Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
I‘m trying to understand why an unscreened cable would sound better than an optimally screened cable. Applying some logic I come to the following: Is this feasible?
A screen does certain things to the signal but prevents other things from happening that are more damaging. A non screened cable picks up a lot of damaging noise but isnt affected by a screen. When the Extreme effectively removes all the added grunge and extracts the music the unscreened cable ends up sounding better because there’s no screen related affects.? What this infers is that screened is much better than unscreened cable unless you have the ability to remove all the added junk, then the opposite is true.

Matt

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Hi Emile,
One more follow-up thanks. I‘m trying to understand why an unscreened cable would sound better than an optimally screened cable. Applying some logic I come to the following: Is this feasible?
A screen does certain things to the signal but prevents other things from happening that are more damaging. A non screened cable picks up a lot of damaging noise but isnt affected by a screen. When the Extreme effectively removes all the added grunge and extracts the music the unscreened cable ends up sounding better because there’s no screen related affects.? What this infers is that screened is much better than unscreened cable unless you have the ability to remove all the added junk, then the opposite is true.
What do you think?
Well unfortunately your paragraph “When the Extreme effectively removes all the added grunge” is not correct IMO. Sure, Extreme's software is reducing network grunge, but it's not completely removing it. Likewise and in my personal experience it is very striking how the difference in SQ between a Cat 5e cable and a very expensive shielded cable based on Cat7 has decreased, however for me the sound with the Göbel Ethernet cable is still superior and again in my experience placing a Mello S-100 between the Modem-Router and the Extreme “clearly” improves the sound. I would have loved it if it wasn't, because I would have put the S-100 up for sale, but for now it's still in my system.

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
Well unfortunately your paragraph “When the Extreme effectively removes all the added grunge” is not correct IMO. Sure, Extreme's software is reducing network grunge, but it's not completely removing it. Likewise and in my personal experience it is very striking how the difference in SQ between a Cat 5e cable and a very expensive shielded cable based on Cat7 has decreased, however for me the sound with the Göbel Ethernet cable is still superior and again in my experience placing a Mello S-100 between the Modem-Router and the Extreme “clearly” improves the sound. I would have loved it if it wasn't, because I would have put the S-100 up for sale, but for now it's still in my system.
Hi nonesup,
Thanks for the thoughtful reply, which I was very happy to read. Essentially you’re saying that the Extreme can take things a very long way but still not the whole way. I’m sure Emile/ will be glad to hear that in spite of having some of the finest sound out there, there’s still plenty of room for more improvement. This is obviously the area that the new router, internet card and switch address and is the area I’ve been fooling around in these past 2.5 years, albeit with a different server and I can attest to it being an area rich for exploitation in terms of SQ. There’s already great rewards just leaving the Extreme to pick out the music from a totally unrefined network stream. But i cannot imagine that an Extreme is going to sound worse with a refined network. What’s changed as far as I can see maybe things like network screening, which needs some research to figure out what actually works best. For example, my network screens are star wired to a low impedance earth so I wonder if that would work better than an unscreened cable. The question is, is the Extreme better with or without an optimally done screen. The difference between the two is mainly detected by the ear…..so if the unscreened indeed does sound better I would ask the question, how is the screen affecting the signal……what is it about a screen that puts an audible stamp on the music? Any suggestions?

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
..... The question is, is the Extreme better with or without an optimally done screen.
to me without (connected)screen. I tried to many screened (incl 'audiophile') and never liked them. I allways hear distortion and noise.
.... The difference between the two is mainly detected by the ear…..so if the unscreened indeed does sound better I would ask the question, how is the screen affecting the signal……what is it about a screen that puts an audible stamp on the music? Any suggestions?
The screen is not affecting the signal but the (connected to metal connectors)screen is transporting noise (e.g. from powersupply or..) in to the next connected component.

BaconBrain

Aug 28, 2019
Bavaria, Germany
Apologies for going off topic, but previously there were thoughts around producing a Taiko Case for the DIY community. Is that project still active and if so, when could one expect them to be available? Thanks.

Reactions: lucia1506

simorag

Sep 14, 2017
Florence, Italy
Question for SRC*DX / PGGB users: are you able to play 705/768kHz content via dual BNC?

I have loaded the USB4 driver and set Roon to 32 bit.
The PGGB files were created with 24bit depth.

I see they are converted to 352.8/384kHz and sent via single BNC.

I tried to set Roon to 24bit but the result is the same.

1647677052608.png

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Question for SRC*DX / PGGB users: are you able to play 705/768kHz content via dual BNC?

I have loaded the USB4 driver and set Roon to 32 bit.
The PGGB files were created with 24bit depth.

I see they are converted to 352.8/384kHz and sent via single BNC.

I tried to set Roon to 24bit but the result is the same.

View attachment 90555

1) Update the firmware of the SRC-DX
2) Use the ASIO output, not WASAPI

Reactions: simorag

simorag

Sep 14, 2017
Florence, Italy
1) Update the firmware of the SRC-DX
2) Use the ASIO output, not WASAPI

Thanks Emile, for the quick reply.
I have switched to the ASIO output:
1647679235139.png

And now I can play 768kHz, thank you! The name of the device changed from "Taiko Audiowise SRC-DX" to "Taiko Audio USB".
Am I still using your USB4 drivers or did I reverted to the generic ones?

1647679386762.png

P.S.: the SRC-DX firmware is from December 2021 (cannot see a newer version on Audiowise website)

Last edited:
Reactions: Taiko Audio

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Talk About Great Customer Support! This level is off the charts!

theaudiogeek

Apr 4, 2018
"The eagle has landed"

Thank you Emile for the early morning dial in and setting up my rig!!
Marc
That is great news... Looks like there is some movement in the customs clearance/delivery. Hopefully rest of the Eagles will learn to fly and land at the their respective places shortly...

Reactions: John T

simorag

Sep 14, 2017
Florence, Italy
I have to confess I am not a fan of crossfeed having tried it on a highly rated "Pro Audio" DAC.

Our software to do list is long, and I think it will be quite a while before we would have the time to experiment with crossfeed

Ed, thank you for the reply. I agree that crossfeed is a controversial subject, a difficult matter and a niche topic, so I acknowledge that giving it low priority makes totally sense.

On another subject, the possibility was mentioned in this thread in the past of implementing realtime upsampling via Remastero PGGB technology in XDMS. Is that still an active project?

Reactions: scottrogers

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
I think there are as well some other considerations that speak in 5GHz’s favour.
A 5GHz band is a lot quicker, has greater bandwidth and thanks to tri-band routers can more easily be dedicated to audio without sharing with any other clients. This means that what little network activity there is is over very quickly. In addition, 5GHz penetrates buildings less well so for a dedicated band you can create a ‘low power hot spot’ with an extender/bridge outside the hi-fi room. The bridge receives files and bi-directionally transmits commands. Following the wi-fi bridge is a great place for a switch, ideally with a great power supply and low noise switch chip there purely to clean, retime and retransmit the stream. Putting a really good power supply on the bridge also brings substantial benefits.
I prefer separate ISP fibre and modem for audio ,
And a second fibre + modem for home.
The key is modem and router are passing audio packages only.
No other work !

Yes 5ghz is quicker but much more noisy.
The 5ghz in my place sounds good but only with filtering devices or filtering ethernet cable.
I am very glad we will have switch and router from Emile .
He knows what he is doing.

No metter what we do top class power supply is a must.

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
A year ago we were mainly guessing and wondering. Today we have developed software affecting network sensitivity, went through 4 switch designs, 2 network card designs, and have a prototype router up and running. What once was mysterious is not mysterious anymore today. If you're interested I suggest to read the last few 100 posts in this thread which details a few aspects of the OS update we launched recently causing a change in network interaction. These statistics are all post update. You could consider this phase 1 out of 3 phases leading to a complete solution we're launching over the course of this year.

You could call it "learning on the job" :)

Can we expelct that All 3 devices you are preparing will have External power supply option ? Swich , router, NIC.
Majority of us have a top class power supply for that any way .
It would be great to just disconnect old devices and connect new.

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Can we expelct that All 3 devices you are preparing will have External power supply option ? Swich , router, NIC.
Majority of us have a top class power supply for that any way .
It would be great to just disconnect old devices and connect new.
Well, for the internally-mounted network interface card I'd expect that using the Extreme's own top-shelf and very extreme power supply would be hard to beat.

As far as external devices, good question. Also, wondering if the switch and router will accommodate a range of voltages, say 5VDC to 12VDC assuming a user-supplied external power supply is indeed an option. Or if that comes with too many sonic compromises.

I trust Emile to incorporate into his switch and router design the best sound quality decisions and if that means an included power supply, I'm happy with that.

Steve

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Interesting times ahead!

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Coming up on…

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Wait for it…

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing