Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Hi Ed, Emile. July is running out. Any new update on dates for XDMS?

Christiaan Punter

i've been away from the forums for a bit. wanted to check in to see if TAS has any plans to support youtube music. i know i know its not the highest quality but there are great mixes on youtube that are not available elsewhere so it would be a nice option
Indeed, as dminches mentions, development of TAS has halted in favor of devoting all available resources to release XDMS. As it stands, YT music is not supported but we can add it to the list to consider.

Reactions: Skanda

Skanda

May 2, 2020
Indeed, as dminches mentions, development of TAS has halted in favor of devoting all available resources to release XDMS. As it stands, YT music is not supported but we can add it to the list to consider.
awesome, that would be great.

Christiaan Punter

Hi Ed, Emile. July is running out. Any new update on dates for XDMS?
Hi Francisco, development is ongoing and advancements are made every day. We are working on this full-time. At this time, we cannot share more.

Christiaan Punter

awesome, that would be great.
It's added:). But there are many more items on the list and our core priority is to get XDMS released with the envisioned functionality. As it stands, it will be a massive improvement over TAS, not only in terms of Sound Quality but also in terms of functionality. Once it is out there, we can look into further enhancing it.

Skanda

May 2, 2020
It's added:). But there are many more items on the list and our core priority is to get XDMS released with the envisioned functionality. As it stands, it will be a massive improvement over TAS, not only in terms of Sound Quality but also in terms of functionality. Once it is out there, we can look into further enhancing it.
thanks for the heads up - being able to skip forward and back on a track will be nice but I like how Ed described it as a digital version of spinning a record :)

btw hifi-advice is a great site i've stumbled upon many times. keep up the great work!

Christiaan Punter

thanks for the heads up - being able to skip forward and back on a track will be nice but I like how Ed described it as a digital version of spinning a record :)

btw hifi-advice is a great site i've stumbled upon many times. keep up the great work!
Noted. Thanks, Skanda! :cool:

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
I'm planning on exactly the same vlan changeover to isolate iot stuff.

My IT guru, who I've worked with for over 30 years since my early corporate days, will handle the design. I usually do all this stuff myself, but this time I acknowledge my limitations, particularly due to the security implications. A key part we have agreed upon will be replacing my Orbi access points with ubiquiti access points. Together with my ubiquiti 6P home router (which replaced FiOS' garbage switch), an all ubiquiti system is a faster and cleaner approach compared to the work required to integrate across platforms.

I've given him a network diagram of all the components and am waiting to see how he proposes partitioning things.
@Taiko Audio Emile - it's interesting that you mentioned tagged VLANs in particular.
Have you had different (less negative) experience with UN-tagged VLANs (based on port assignments only)?

I can see why tagged VLANs would degrade sonic quality as the switch is adding a 4 byte tag to each Ethernet frame per 802.1Q, i.e. altering the data, but with UNtagged VLANs the frames are unchanged.

The question is whether reducing broadcast/multicast traffic with an Audio-only VLAN or isolated network (same in regards to this) would be beneficial.
Might also depend on the switch/router in use.. my subjective results may not apply universally.

Thanks!

Preliminary findings support this all being of minor relevance, the way the router handles traffic and/or distribution appears to dominate SQ. This is the reason we embarked on designing a router. It is actually not far out, hopefully releasing before Christmas.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Although I usually use TAS, today I went to use Roon and it can't connect to the kernel. I have restarted Extreme and the Modem Router, but it does not connect. Any ideas?

Christiaan Punter

Although I usually use TAS, today I went to use Roon and it can't connect to the kernel. I have restarted Extreme and the Modem Router, but it does not connect. Any ideas?
To start with the first step, have you enabled "Switch to Roon" in the TAS app, and can you confirm that the mode changed?

1658858075539.png

If so, are you comfortable opening a VNC connection to the Extreme from your computer or laptop?

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Yes of course, I activated Roon in the TAS application. Regarding VNC I have no problem, but it has to be on the Ipad.

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
@Taiko Audio Emile - it's interesting that you mentioned tagged VLANs in particular.
Have you had different (less negative) experience with UN-tagged VLANs (based on port assignments only)?

I can see why tagged VLANs would degrade sonic quality as the switch is adding a 4 byte tag to each Ethernet frame per 802.1Q, i.e. altering the data, but with UNtagged VLANs the frames are unchanged.

The question is whether reducing broadcast/multicast traffic with an Audio-only VLAN or isolated network (same in regards to this) would be beneficial.
Might also depend on the switch/router in use.. my subjective results may not apply universally.

Thanks!
+1

Nils

Dec 16, 2021
Northern Sweden
Thanks. I think “active” ground is the culprit here. As far as I know, Shunyata’s system is passive - can anyone confirm?
It is passive.

Christiaan Punter

Yes of course, I activated Roon in the TAS application. Regarding VNC I have no problem, but it has to be on the Ipad.
I just need to take it step by step. When VNC'd to the desktop, right-click the start menu and open Computer Management, select Services, and find the TaikoRoon service. Right-mouse click, choose Properties, and confirm that it is on Automatic. Then, click Start. Or close the window, right-click on the service, and select Start. Confirm that the service has started and is running. Also, when it is running, right-mouse click Roon in the Win taskbar and check that "Run Roon on startup" is checked. If this is done and you still cannot connect to Roon, let me know.

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
Preliminary findings support this all being of minor relevance, the way the router handles traffic and/or distribution appears to dominate SQ. This is the reason we embarked on designing a router. It is actually not far out, hopefully releasing before Christmas.
@Taiko Audio

Would the full benefit of the router be limited by:
1. Placing it after all rest of my network, just before the extreme
2. Putting the new taiko router on a vlan with the extreme
3. Is there synergy with a taiko Ethernet card?

Last edited:

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
I just need to take it step by step. When VNC'd to the desktop, right-click the start menu and open Computer Management, select Services, and find the TaikoRoon service. Right-mouse click, choose Properties, and confirm that it is on Automatic. Then, click Start. Or close the window, right-click on the service, and select Start. Confirm that the service has started and is running. Also, when it is running, right-mouse click Roon in the Win taskbar and check that "Run Roon on startup" is checked. If this is done and you still cannot connect to Roon, let me know.
I think that with the Ipad, it will be complicated. Tomorrow I'll try to bring a laptop home to do it.

Christiaan Punter

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
I support this findings.
Did check many routers and they totally change the sound quality.
Also the system used makes big difference.
From the affordable solutions Ubiquity is far the best.

There are also clear benefits of getting the higher amounts of memory and better processor power in router but be prepare to pay for that.
That also generates more noise so there is a need to deal with that.

Settings are giving endless possibilities of improvement. So software is a king here as it is in extreme.

Also the architecture of the network makes difference!
It so much better to add a switch to the router
so router to switch is one connection
and from the swich to all other devices.

MusicFellow

Jan 3, 2022
I support this findings.
Did check many routers and they totally change the sound quality.
Also the system used makes big difference.
From the affordable solutions Ubiquity is far the best.

There are also clear benefits of getting the higher amounts of memory and better processor power in router but be prepare to pay for that.
That also generates more noise so there is a need to deal with that.

Settings are giving endless possibilities of improvement. So software is a king here as it is in extreme.

Also the architecture of the network makes difference!
It so much better to add a switch to the router
so router to switch is one connection
and from the swich to all other devices.
Hearing all that - which I fully believe are influences to be considered - makes an integrated solution (network card, switch, router) by Taiko the desired product for most users. If it delivers 80-90% of the potential gains I would be more than happy! The remaining 10-20% I leave to be reaped by the tech-savvy users.

engadin

Apr 23, 2022
Dear sirs,
always late to a party, I contemplate acquiring a Taiko extreme.

I mostly own old stuff, but I do like it.
Unable to use my turntable (pump for Airtangent …) and Scintillas (room restrictions), I set up my JRDG Coherence II and a model 8 with equally vintage Monitor Audio speakers to bring music back into my life, sorely missed.
A Denon DVD player bought years ago for home theater use … didn’t sound that good.
I held my breath and bought a T+A SD 3100 hv, as it is a streamer, dac and headphone amp, all decent, in a single box. Added a decent headphone.
I started streaming Qobuz, as I had no intention to put countless CDs next to some 5500 lps (all in boxes stored away, sigh).
Some tweaking helped, music is listenable and a pleasure again.

Having read pages 1-250 and 450 - 576, I have the nagging feeling that I “need” a Taiko extreme.
A few questions still remain:

SD 3100 hv owners do prefer USB with their Taiko as most Taiko owners do?
Which cables do they prefer?
USB cable with or without power needed or preferred?

While I have no chance in this mountainous region to compare decent USB cables, Sablon gets many recommendations here.
What would be the recommended length?

Power cord:
I remember posts here recommending the Oyaide C 004 IEC plug to match the Extreme‘s socket better than Furutech.
I consider a power cable with this Oyaide C 004, but a Furutech NCF Schuko to match the Furutech NCF Schuko receptacles which get installed in my future home, relocation planned in 5 years.
Better go all Oyaide for this cable?
Anyone using an Acoustic Revive 18000 power cable with the Extreme?
(trying to cheap out again :) ).
Better use a Kimber pk 10 palladian with gold Wattgates? I already have one of these.

I am fully aware that many questions I asked are depending on personal taste and may change with different setting, but your input is highly welcome!

Greetings from Engadin!

Attachments

• 105A9F52-4268-4F76-98D1-DBC86FB60546.jpeg
    105A9F52-4268-4F76-98D1-DBC86FB60546.jpeg
    389.4 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing