Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

@Taiko Audio

Would the full benefit of the router be limited by:
1. Placing it after all rest of my network, just before the extreme
2. Putting the new taiko router on a vlan with the extreme
3. Is there synergy with a taiko Ethernet card?

We cannot simulate all scenarios but so far it appears that what happens before the router is much less relevant then what happens after. For example we have ran a lot of experiments over time using a "cheap" readily available (although even these are now suffering from the supply chain issues) Ubiquiti Amplifi HD router. We have used them at shows, like in all 3 rooms at the Munich show, and in several home network situations, they create a very similar repeatable sound quality and/or signature in every situation. Now you can do better then this, and some home networks do perform better, so does our company network here in Oldenzaal made up of higher grade Ubiquiti components, and obviously the components we have under development, but nevertheless, the Ubiquiti Amplify HD router creates a pretty reliable repeatable result. No need for VLANs either. Naturally there's a philosophy in all of this, which includes network interface cards, switch, router and even software configurations, so yes you could say there will be synergy.

Dear sirs,
always late to a party, I contemplate acquiring a Taiko extreme.

I mostly own old stuff, but I do like it.
Unable to use my turntable (pump for Airtangent …) and Scintillas (room restrictions), I set up my JRDG Coherence II and a model 8 with equally vintage Monitor Audio speakers to bring music back into my life, sorely missed.
A Denon DVD player bought years ago for home theater use … didn’t sound that good.
I held my breath and bought a T+A SD 3100 hv, as it is a streamer, dac and headphone amp, all decent, in a single box. Added a decent headphone.
I started streaming Qobuz, as I had no intention to put countless CDs next to some 5500 lps (all in boxes stored away, sigh).
Some tweaking helped, music is listenable and a pleasure again.

Having read pages 1-250 and 450 - 576, I have the nagging feeling that I “need” a Taiko extreme.
A few questions still remain:

SD 3100 hv owners do prefer USB with their Taiko as most Taiko owners do?
Which cables do they prefer?
USB cable with or without power needed or preferred?

While I have no chance in this mountainous region to compare decent USB cables, Sablon gets many recommendations here.
What would be the recommended length?

Power cord:
I remember posts here recommending the Oyaide C 004 IEC plug to match the Extreme‘s socket better than Furutech.
I consider a power cable with this Oyaide C 004, but a Furutech NCF Schuko to match the Furutech NCF Schuko receptacles which get installed in my future home, relocation planned in 5 years.
Better go all Oyaide for this cable?
Anyone using an Acoustic Revive 18000 power cable with the Extreme?
(trying to cheap out again :) ).
Better use a Kimber pk 10 palladian with gold Wattgates? I already have one of these.

I am fully aware that many questions I asked are depending on personal taste and may change with different setting, but your input is highly welcome!

Greetings from Engadin!

Tagging @Sablon Audio for USB cable, Power cord and receptacle synergy recommendations :)

SD 3100 hv owners do prefer USB with their Taiko as most Taiko owners do

Yes without exception afaik.

I was testing over past 3 days everything I could and FOUND IT.
This is a news to EVRYONE to check in your systems.

I tested everythig I could and I was unable to find anything for 2 days. But 3rd day was a discovery day.
The reason for the noise and harshness in my system was grounding connection via USB cable !
I found it accidently by connecting to my Totaldac 24 the with old JPlay cable that has 2 legs (one for power, second for data only)
Wanted to connected it just to test if there is any noise getting via USB power or ground so I connected ONLY the data leg to the USB card in Takio .

I must say I permanently delteted that iritating noise and sound is so much more dense and calm now.
I suspect it was a severe ground loop running via this USB ground.

After that I decided to come back to the beloved intona ULTIMATE but as you know it has 4 cables inside ( 2 data and 2 permanent power line).
So I placed the black TAPE on both power line connectors (+and - on the USB A side of the cable) to again disconnect the ground and power.
I was amazed again.
That cable is a masterpiece now. I was not expecting it to be that big differense.

Please test in your systems and report here.
I am sure ALL Totaldac owners will find this useful and probably some others as well
Had JLSounds device here and tested , same positive effect but not as big as in TotalDAC.
Sidenote - Disconnecting the ground from TotalDAC menue was not effective.

To Emile,
As this above might be a true problem for some ( not for me ), I wanted to know if there is any way of disconnecting POWER OUT on the USB card ?
I am quite sure that some other cards ( Jplay ) had that option to turn off the USB power permanently.

Again to all others please report here if you see BIG benefit of disconnecting the power line from the USB cable.
Yes…..significant improvement is also observed from disabling vbus of the USB card in my system.

Cheers.

Reactions: Kris
We cannot simulate all scenarios but so far it appears that what happens before the router is much less relevant then what happens after. For example we have ran a lot of experiments over time using a "cheap" readily available (although even these are now suffering from the supply chain issues) Ubiquiti Amplifi HD router. We have used them at shows, like in all 3 rooms at the Munich show, and in several home network situations, they create a very similar repeatable sound quality and/or signature in every situation. Now you can do better then this, and some home networks do perform better, so does our company network here in Oldenzaal made up of higher grade Ubiquiti components, and obviously the components we have under development, but nevertheless, the Ubiquiti Amplify HD router creates a pretty reliable repeatable result. No need for VLANs either. Naturally there's a philosophy in all of this, which includes network interface cards, switch, router and even software configurations, so yes you could say there will be synergy.
Seems like Ubiquiti also has a gamer edition with lower latency and better performance. Anyone tried that? https://www.amplifi.com/gamers-edition

...oh, everyone "needs" an Extreme. Some people just don't know it yet. Cool pic. I have a nagging feeling I "need" that view!
Do come:)
You might want to stay.
I certainly did.

Attachments

• 5A3348FA-AEB7-4F67-96C7-FF36F5D0B669.jpeg
    5A3348FA-AEB7-4F67-96C7-FF36F5D0B669.jpeg
    183.3 KB · Views: 36
SD 3100 hv owners do prefer USB with their Taiko as most Taiko owners do?
Which cables do they prefer?

I have the T+A SDV 3100 HV. I'm using USB: 1.5M SR Galileo SX.

Reactions: Taiko Audio
I have the T+A SDV 3100 HV. I'm using USB: 1.5M SR Galileo SX.
Hi Cyrus!
Did you have the opportunity to compare with other USB cables?
What were your impressions?

Thx for your input!

Did you have the opportunity to compare with other USB cables?

Hi Engadin. My comparisons preceded the T+A SDV and Extreme, so I can't help in that regard.

Last(?) questions for now (while on vacation)

For locally stored music, I'm assuming that this external stuff to improve streaming on the network is a non- factor?

Do you have an xdms fix or strategy for eliminating the SQ degradation of FLAC format?

While vlan are not needed for SQ in your strategy, I still have to do this for home security/iot reasons? Any recommendations on things not to do?

Reactions: wil
Hi Engadin. My comparisons preceded the T+A SDV and Extreme, so I can't help in that regard.
Hmmm. Well, maybe you did some comparisons before your current set up.
Even when done without Extreme/T+A, I would love to read about your experience with this extraordinary cable compared to other usb cables.
Maybe you could tell us more?

Cheers, Ulrich

thx in advance for your input! One more pic from my balcony, looking good even with shitty weather:)

Attachments

• EFEA566A-D407-49E4-861A-4FDDCC480ACD.jpeg
    EFEA566A-D407-49E4-861A-4FDDCC480ACD.jpeg
    67.9 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Reactions: Taiko Audio
Have any WBF brothers noticed that there is another Emile/Taiko Audio new invention for the Extreme Server?
:p

IMG_20220727_205225.jpg

IMG_20220727_205305.jpg

This Extreme flight case is fabulous!
Emile : you are super!
:cool:

That's the packaging for new ones now? I like flight cases!

That is gorgeous!

It makes me a bit nostalgic for the semi battered cardboard box that traveled the six thousand miles here 2.5 years ago. That Extreme was still perfectly protected, sound asleep and continues to operate flawlessly to this day. That all said, that case looks fantastic and surely bomb proof.

Looking forward to all that Taiko has in store in the coming months!

Attachments

• E1F774E9-EC9A-48E3-A7CA-A36CFA775D04.jpeg
    E1F774E9-EC9A-48E3-A7CA-A36CFA775D04.jpeg
    953 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
That is gorgeous!

It makes me a bit nostalgic for the semi battered cardboard box that traveled the six thousand miles here 2.5 years ago. That Extreme was still perfectly protected, sound asleep and continues to operate flawlessly to this day. That all said, that case looks fantastic and surely bomb proof.

Looking forward to all that Taiko has in store in the coming months!
Looks like my box :)

Reactions: ctydwn
How does one get one of those flight cases
I was told that all newly ordered Extreme will be sent in this flight case. :D

Current owners can order one too, but the shipping cost nowadays is not low. :confused:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu