Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Great to know your move to XDMS - do you have details on the origin of the tapes and conversion process used by Highdeftapetransfers?
They use software and hardware from Merging (Hapi ADC/DAC) and other high end devices.
You find some info about here:

Matt

Last edited:
Reactions: oldmustang

Christiaan Punter

Hi all, as perfect timing has it, I was on a 2-week holiday precisely when the exciting new Taiko products were announced... But I'm all caught up now!

I have accumulated and processed all the new information for use in comprehensive Summary documents for the Taiko Extreme Network Card, Extreme Switch, the upcoming Router, and the announced TACDA & TACDD DAC & Interface. These documents should cover the large majority of outstanding vagueries and uncertainties. I have also included Q&A sections that address commonly asked questions. This forum has a cap of 1000 characters per post, meaning that I can't copy and paste the documents directly. Hence, I will upload the articles as PDF documents.

The first docs that are completed cover the Taiko Extreme Network Card, Extreme Switch, and the upcoming Router. The TACDA & TACDD DAC & Interface will follow shortly.

Please note that I have no personal experience with the new products just yet.

Last edited:

Christiaan Punter

Here is the Taiko Network Card & Switch Summary document.

Attachments

• Taiko Network Card & Switch Summary_v8.pdf
    598.9 KB · Views: 114

Christiaan Punter

Here is the Taiko Router Summary document.

Attachments

• Taiko Router Summary.pdf
    388.7 KB · Views: 120

Christiaan Punter

Reactions: matthias

Christiaan Punter

Here is the Taiko TACDA & TACDD DAC & Interface Summary document.

Attachments

• TACDA & TACDD DAC & Interface Summary_v3.pdf
    237.7 KB · Views: 85

Christiaan Punter

Check out this state-of-the-art installation by Lâm Kh?i Minh MQA in Hanoi, Vietnam, featuring Taiko Audio XDMS playback software!

For those who are unaware, XDMS is our proprietary State Of The Art music server and playback software that has been in development for some time. Currently, it is in the Alpha testing stage and being tested by a small group of devoted people. Although the recent new Taiko Extreme Network Card and Extreme Switch have just been announced, we still aim to release the software to the wide Extreme Music Server public as soon as possible.

Components include a Taiko Audio Extreme Music Server running XDMS, Métronome Audio AQWO DAC/SACD player, Goldmund Mimesis 22H NextGen preamplifier, absolutely massive Goldmund Telos 3300 NextGen mono power amplifiers, and Kharma Enigma Veyron 2D loudspeakers.

For more photos see our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/TaikoAudio/

XDMS installation Hanoi, Vietnam_320548365_482277607186905_8167515006845472118_n.jpg

XDMS installation Hanoi, Vietnam_323279882_1235862017289167_2891506430038032829_n.jpg

XDMS installation Hanoi, Vietnam_324298302_893999654935425_5689676906525374881_n.jpg

XDMS installation Hanoi, Vietnam_323449188_466501032362038_4702850398967939599_n.jpg

XDMS installation Hanoi, Vietnam_322471808_914065746434476_1527864984872573711_n.jpg

XDMS installation Hanoi, Vietnam_322718110_476088931159115_3269010478731000347_n.jpg

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Here is the Taiko TACDA & TACDD DAC & Interface Summary document.
Christiaan,
will there be licensing costs for adapting TACDD for DAC manufacturers or will Taiko support DAC manufacturers to get market penetration?
Thx

Matt

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Christiaan Punter

you suggested end of Feb for delivery but the next line says end of March....which is it
The Network Card will start shipping 28-02-2023 (document has been updated and is re-uploaded)

Last edited:

austinpop

May 23, 2017
Austin, TX
These new Taiko products feel like that same vibe to me. New thinking. Some trial-and-error and YMMV investigations/results. New arguments. A little more education. To me, that is really exciting and a lot of fun from our good friends at Taiko! Carry on gents...

Yes, new. One could even say... novel! ;)

Reactions: Christiaan Punter

Christiaan Punter

Christiaan,
will there be licensing costs for adapting TACDD for DAC manufacturers or will Taiko support DAC manufacturers to get market penetration?
Thx

Matt
Good question, I will leave this for Emile to respond to:)

Reactions: matthias

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
1 DC input jack, 2 SFP ports, that’s it. Perhaps a better name for it would have been a „Media Converter“ but since it really is a switch we stuck with it.
Sorry if I'm being a little dense here, but if there is only one input and one output, what switch functionality is implemented? I understand some of xdms is offloaded to this device, but I still don't understand the "since it really is a switch" part.

Or did the circuit board start life as a switch and functionally was then stripped down to the minimal set of features needed for it's Taiko use?

Again, sorry to be beating a dead horse here.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Hi Christian, what output voltage will the RCA outputs of the DAC card have?

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...most switches we see and use have multiple ports. I recognize I am not breaking new ground here, but a device with a single I/O could still be a switch. It is just confined to signal transfer to one "address." Maybe it's a media converter. A high-end filter. And also a single switch.

IIUC the router upstream is doing the multi-address traffic directing, letting some traffic to audio and the rest to Sweetie's online shopping experience, Netflix, etc.

IMO, some of the nomenclature for these new devices can lead to ambiguity, only because the functionality itself may be new or altered from the typical things that are well established. And those TACDD whatevers are a mouthful. While a bit confusing, I think that's not unusual for new product dev.

Pretty cool stuff, whatever we're calling it.

Reactions: 2ndLiner

Cyrus

Jun 15, 2018
I'm with @cat6man Taiko Audio needs to better explain their choice / usage of 'Switch' for the product

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I'm with @cat6man Taiko Audio needs to better explain their choice / usage of 'Switch' for the product
@Cyrus

Maybe Im not as savvy as the rest of you computer experts but I read the Taiko explanation and it seemed pretty clear to me.

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
...most switches we see and use have multiple ports. I recognize I am not breaking new ground here, but a device with a single I/O could still be a switch.

Can you point me to one of those that has only one in and one out?
Maybe you're not breaking new ground but it is new to me. I'd love to see an example.
Thx

Reactions: Cyrus

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing