Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

That is what I am planning on doing as well. I currently have an 8Switch in my main system rack which feeds the Extreme, 2 DAC’s and a Melco N1-A which I use to backup the Extreme hard drive. My assumption is that I can use the Taiko router in the rack to replace the 8Switch. Luckily, the Taiko router has 4 outputs which is perfect for me - one will feed Taiko switch leaving 3 for the other devices.

You are making the assumption that the router does everything the switch does, and more, and I am not sure that is true.

You are making the assumption that the router does everything the switch does, and more, and I am not sure that is true.
I am hoping it might be. I have used a second router before in a similar manner but that does not guarantee that the Taiko router will perform exactly the same. I expect that the 4 Ethernet out ports must be there to connect additional devices though.

As Emile already mentioned, the Taiko switch is not a classical switch by design but rather a fibre media converter. A switch is used to route data between multiple devices in your LAN whereas the Taiko switch only has 1 input and 1 output. My guess is that it is mainly used for network isolation and reclocking and most likely an extra portion of Taiko magic that will not be fully disclosed. But this Emile would need to answer ;)

This means however, that the Extreme is still exposed to the rest of the chatty LAN and likewise to the internet. This is where the router will come into play. As I already wrote in my last post above, every router has some switching functionality - some more, some less (layer 1 to 3 usually). This becomes obvious as the router has 4 LAN ports and will route data between the connected devices/switches.
I'm not sure if I agree with your second paragraph, Markus. If the switch is only accepting packets addressed to the Extreme and allowing them through then I don't see how the Extreme is exposed to all the traffic on the LAN.

I am also not sure that I buy your statement in the first paragraph that the Taiko switch is a fiber media converter, unless you bring fiber to it and plug a fiber SFP into the Taiko switch upstream SFP cage and then use the DAC cable from Taiko switch to Extreme (new) network card. If you operate it as recommended by Emile, that is, UTP copper RJ-45 to the Taiko switch upstream SFP cage and DAC cable from Taiko switch to Extreme network card there is no conversion going on. And much less power consumption at the switch, too.

Steve Z

I'm not sure if I agree with your second paragraph, Markus. If the switch is only accepting packets addressed to the Extreme and allowing them through then I don't see how the Extreme is exposed to all the traffic on the LAN.

I am also not sure that I buy your statement in the first paragraph that the Taiko switch is a fiber media converter, unless you bring fiber to it and plug a fiber SFP into the Taiko switch upstream SFP cage and then use the DAC cable from Taiko switch to Extreme (new) network card. If you operate it as recommended by Emile, that is, UTP copper RJ-45 to the Taiko switch upstream SFP cage and DAC cable from Taiko switch to Extreme network card there is no conversion going on. And much less power consumption at the switch, too.

Steve Z

Sorry folks but I cannot follow the discussion recently. I think part of the problem is that the taiko switch is not a switch. It really is a signal conditioner with SFP based media conversion optional.

My understanding is that only the router will be able to isolate traffic going to the extreme, which can be done today with vlan or subnets.

Of course the taiko router will be designed for lower noise, better isolation and and hosting some xdms functionality. Will the taiko switch have a better strategy for filtering out non-extreme targeted packets including broadcast or other overhead?

I'm looking forward to finding out from CP how these pieces come together SQ-wise, and then experiencing it myself.

@Taiko. Why did you decide to call it the Taiko Switch anyway?

Reactions: Markus87
Sorry folks but I cannot follow the discussion recently. I think part of the problem is that the taiko switch is not a switch. It really is a signal conditioner with SFP based media conversion optional.

My understanding is that only the router will be able to isolate traffic going to the extreme, which can be done today with vlan or subnets.

Of course the taiko router will be designed for lower noise, better isolation and and hosting some xdms functionality. Will the taiko switch have a better strategy for filtering out non-extreme targeted packets including broadcast or other overhead?

I'm looking forward to finding out from CP how these pieces come together SQ-wise, and then experiencing it myself.

@Taiko. Why did you decide to call it the Taiko Switch anyway?
This is exactly how I understood and tried to explain it as well. But maybe @Taiko Audio or @Christiaan Punter can provide some more clarification?

Markus

Pass me the Pentobarbital...

• Haha
Reactions: nuway and Rhapsody
Please correct me if I'm wrong Emile...

Usually the topology is internet - modem (coax, fibre, DSL copper, analog, etc) - router - switch - computer. Mainstream routers and those provided by your ISP often include a modem and some switching functionality. The Taiko router will be a classical router without a dedicated modem with the potential exception of fibre internet. Meaning:

Case 1: you have NO fibre internet (DSL or coax copper, analog or similar) --> you will need to use your existing modem and connect this to the configured WAN port of the Taiko router.

If you currently have a router including the modem provided by your ISP (internet service provider), there are three options...

Case 1a: your ISP allows you to replace the all in one router with a dedicated modem (DSL, coax, etc). This leads to case 1.

Case 1b: you have to use the ISP's all in one router but it can be configured in bridge mode (either by yourself or by your ISP). This leads again to case 1 as it configures your device as modem, de-activating the router, switch, wifi, etc.

However some of the ISPs don't allow you to use your own router and force you to use their's. This leads to case 1b...

Case 1b: your ISP forces you to use their all in one router. In this case you can only use the Taiko router subsequent to your ISP device.

Case 2: you have fibre internet and your ISP provided you with a specific SFP fibre module.

Case 2a: Also in this case, some of the ISPs force you to use their all in one device which leads us to case 1b. But if you're lucky, your ISP allows you to use an own router of your choice - jackpot! This leads us to case 2b...

Case 2b: your fibre ISP allows you to use an own router. In this case you can configure the SFP port on the Taiko router as WAN port and directly use the SFP module provided by your ISP to connect to the internet without any other modem. Usually this involves some configuration in router according to ISP advice (e.g. VLAN and DHCP option). I assume that the Taiko router will be able to support this.

So hands down, it will depend on your situation, internet technology and ISP which topology applies.

My assumption is that scenario 2b is the most promising option for maximum sonic impact and therefore I would check which available ISP allows you to use your own fibre router (in case fibre is available in your location).

@engadin as you are living in Switzerland... In case you have access to fibre, 2 ISPs I know of that do so are Unit7 and Sunrise but others may as well.

I hope I could help to shed some light into this topic. Please feel free to ask if something is still unclear.

Markus
Dear Markus, thx a lot for your long and informative reply!

To give you an idea about my knowledge and understanding of these things … you mentioned ISP? For me, this is the abbreviation of infraspinatus muscle, but a short google search did help :)

Right now I live in beautiful Suisse, but a new home for my retirement is in construction in Bavaria, close to old friends and family.
For a few more years in Engadin I am stuck with copper coming to my home, shared with 3 other flats in an old house of 1860.
Distribution for all 4 flats was made by a Netgear 105 switch, which I replaced (recommendation of a friend ) with a Netgear GS108e 300pes, which improved things a lot (further futzing around with power supplies for it). This did surprise me, as I have after this Netgear switch maybe 10m of in wall copper cat 6 cable, RJ 45 wall socket, 5m of (not so exciting) inakustik reference LAN cable, Swisscom internet box standard (with Ferrum hypsos) and a pretty good Ediscreation silent switch extreme. This Ediscreation switch improved things a lot, but the lowly Netgear, too.
So I plan to use the Taiko switch + card bundle instead of the Ediscreation switch.
Maybe put the Ediscreation where the Netgear now is.
This new Taiko router could be close to the RJ45 wall socket, I’d use a short and decent LAN cable feeding it.
One of the Taiko router outputs could feed with 5m LAN cable the Swisscom internet box (or a switch) for tv and all things internet.

In Bavaria there will be fiber to the home, fiber from ISP coming into my new listening & living room.
So my plans for a Taiko router will have to wait. I need to know which input to choose for the Taiko router, whether to get a separate fiber modem or a fiber modem including router for Bavaria.

Time to start saving, as all these nice things will need some power supply as well.
Otoh, exciting times for Taiko users with all these tremendous sonic improvements to be expected!
Cheers, Ulrich

Last edited:
...all this chatter reminds me of "The Great Switch and Netwok" experiments of a few years back, daisy-chaining switches, copper vs. fiber, rolling SFPs, adding LPS to everything.

Wow, that was a lot of fun, frankly. And very educational too. We've had PGGB and QSA, but the level of experimentation with the switches and network topology, was a highlight, and IMO yielded a lot of new thinking (and new arguments).

These new Taiko products feel like that same vibe to me. New thinking. Some trial-and-error and YMMV investigations/results. New arguments. A little more education. To me, that is really exciting and a lot of fun from our good friends at Taiko! Carry on gents...

1 DC input jack, 2 SFP ports, that’s it. Perhaps a better name for it would have been a „Media Converter“ but since it really is a switch we stuck with it.
FYI guys- seems it is both a media converter and a switch, no need to disagree :)

I am amazed about all of the speculation about the switch, the new card and the router. So many thoughts and theories. IIRC Emile spelled it all out regarding the switch and router. It was my thought that the new router is not meant to replace the router from your ISP. In fact I asked Emile that very question many weeks ago. He knows my network setup which is somewhat unorthodox as my router is on the main floor of my house and I stream wireless from there to my satellite upstairs in my sound room which connects to my Extreme via ethernet. Emile told me there would be no problem setting up the router in my sound room. So why try to second guess and speculate . April-May seems to have the Easter Bunny hopping into our sound rooms with a router and a BPS. To me, reading all of these posts has my head spinning. Have faith in Taiko and Emile who IMHO has never failed to deliver on promises. I'm all in

That’s the only thing that makes sense to me- how else is the router supposed to be powered by the BPS? Surely very very few people have their main router near enough to the extreme to be powered by the BPS, but for a second router that’s possible

Reactions: Malcng
I fully expect to replace my current router with the Taiko router. I don't use my Verizon Fios router and instead us an Ubiquiti EdgeMax. There would be no reason to keep both routers unless something doesn't work.

I fully expect to replace my current router with the Taiko router. I don't use my Verizon Fios router and instead us an Ubiquiti EdgeMax. There would be no reason to keep both routers unless something doesn't work.
How does Taiko suggest we handle WiFi with the new router? A WiFi endpoint in the music room? A nest throughout the house?

How does Taiko suggest we handle WiFi with the new router? A WiFi endpoint in the music room? A nest throughout the house?

I don’t know what they will suggest but I have a Asus-based mesh which is wired to my router/switch.

I will continue to use my Orbi Router and Orbi satellites. My understanding is that I will come out of the satellite in my sound room Ethernet to the Taiko router and Ethernet out of the router to the switch but maybe I’m incorrect
it was my understanding that there is no need to replace one’s main router.
KISS. Keep It Simple ‘stupid’ ;)

Steve, having 1 router is simple. Having multiple routers is complicated.

Agreed. I definitely don't want to go down the mutiple router path.

i'm certainly no expert on this, but is it still complicated if DHCP is only active on one (the main) router?

i'm certainly no expert on this, but is it still complicated if DHCP is only active on one (the main) router?

If DHCP is turned off on one of the routers then it is effectively an access point. I think ISPs call this bridge mode?

I am not an expert on this but I know enough to be dangerous (and set things up at home).

I have not been keeping (completely) up to date with the thread.. posting the link since all of the info in this link is in one place, including the Q & A. Let me know if this has been posted previously in its entirety (and in one place) and I will delete.

From Mono and Stereo: Taiko Switch Info

Note: The information content is too lengthy to copy and paste into a single post.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing