Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Emile,
is this still up-to-date?
Thx

Matt

No, as the lowest price option would now be to use the existing chassis with an internal BPS. This lower cost dual chassis version also requires partial external manufacturing, pricing (and availability) of which has increased considerably meanwhile. Moving manufacturing to in house while simultaneously increasing manufacturing efficiency has allowed us to get away with only a very minor increase (~1.5%) of the Extreme’s retail which now sits at Euro 28.000 including the enhanced USB card, new network card and a heavy duty flightcase.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
I think now we have a better/clearer understanding of layout/application. I get it, inquisitive minds want to know. I think in general terms audiophile minds are at the the top of the food chain in the desire for understanding. Face it we are wired differently. Years ago I learned all about distillation including designing and building copper/stainless steel stills. I DON'T EVEN DRINK SPIRITS. Not a great example but this is who we are. We dissect many things including sonic interpretation and it it is only natural to want to understand how everything translates. Take it all in incrementally. I have the switch/network card on order. When it arrives I will access and go from there. In the mean time enjoy what you have, we are very fortunate. "Life is Fucking short devour each day as if it is your last"...

nuway

Jun 26, 2019
I don't post too often, but always follow the Taiko new products and success. Thank You @Taiko Audio Team led by Emile for all new products and developments.
One question to Emile: Does the new BPS and Associated circuits solved the issue of having to restart the Extreme once in a while?

Reactions: Taiko Audio

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
I don't post too often, but always follow the Taiko new products and success. Thank You @Taiko Audio Team led by Emile for all new products and developments.
One question to Emile: Does the new BPS and Associated circuits solved the issue of having to restart the Extreme once in a while?

It does indeed solve “grounding charge/static” buildup. It does not solve memory leaks / increasing memory usage over time which happens with some Roon builds for which we could add a Roon restart option in the XDMS remote app.

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
I think now we have a better/clearer understanding of layout/application. I get it, inquisitive minds want to know. I think in general terms audiophile minds are at the the top of the food chain in the desire for understanding. Face it we are wired differently. Years ago I learned all about distillation including designing and building copper/stainless steel stills. I DON'T EVEN DRINK SPIRITS. Not a great example but this is who we are. We dissect many things including sonic interpretation and it it is only natural to want to understand how everything translates. Take it all in incrementally. I have the switch/network card on order. When it arrives I will access and go from there. In the mean time enjoy what you have, we are very fortunate. "Life is Fucking short devour each day as if it is your last"...

Agree 100 %.
We are all here because we have found Emile and his Team are cut from the same cloth.

But there might be worst . In my case I am physitian and top scientist.
WHY is my second name .
Making experiments is my every day duty both at work and home.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Agree 100 %.
We are all here because we have found Emile and his Team are cut from the same cloth.

But there might be worst . In my case I am physitian and top scientist.
WHY is my second name .
Making experiments is my every day duty both at work and home.
LOL!!! My heart go's out to you! WHY!! Love it! To really dig deep into something, design, or understanding, can torment in a good way. When I was involved in large production of wine, we would do all our own testing. Acidity, S02 free and bound, chromatography for malolactic completion, and a host of other intricate testing. Then I would send samples to an independent lab for cross reference. Can you imagine floundering through life without asking why? I feel sorry those who don't ask why....

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
LOL!!! My heart go's out to you! WHY!! Love it! To really dig deep into something, design, or understanding, can torment in a good way. When I was involved in large production of wine, we would do all our own testing. Acidity, S02 free and bound, chromatography for malolactic completion, and a host of other intricate testing. Than I would send samples to an independent lab for cross reference. Can you imagine floundering through life without asking why? I feel sorry those who don't ask why....
as the saying goes, we the faithful followers of Taiko ask "Why" and Taiko replies "Why not" :)

Nils

Dec 16, 2021
Northern Sweden
It is indeed extremely interesting to learn a bit of HOW we all ended up in this ultra-specific forum with members from all over the world wíth mostly undisclosed professional backgrounds and domains of professional work (does not matter).

We connect over our interest in emotionally arousing sound reproduction in general and the Extreme specifically.

The way we rationalise Q&A in this thread makes sense.

We are cut from the same cloth - clearly.

Love it!

Last edited:

John T

Feb 15, 2022
It is indeed extremely interesting to learn a bit of HOW we all ended up in this ultra-specific forum with members from all over the world wíth mostly undisclosed professional backgrounds and domains of professional work (does not matter).

Still - we connect over our interest in emotionally arousing sound reproduction in general and the Extreme specifically.

The way we rationalise Q&A in this thread makes sense.

We are cut from the same cloth - clearly.

Love it!
Well Said!!

Malcng

Jul 6, 2022
I am pleased to be in such company on here. The first two words I learnt to say as a child were Why and Fast. Both have been something of a mixed blessing ever since. I have managed, over time and with concentrated effort, to ease back a bit on the Fast element though and can even appear patient at times.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
@Taiko, is the ground screw on the switch considered to be a chassis ground or signal ground?

@Zeotrope, are you able to use the Shunyata signal hub with either signal or chassis ground?
The Shunyata Altaira ground system is only for AC ground. They confusingly label the hubs “Signal” and “Chassis” but in fact they are both only used if the component has a ground connection to AC ground. There’s a lot of confusion around this, and Shunyata is clear in their detailed documentation; but the names of the Hubs are not clear.
After discussing directly with Shunyata, the Signal Hub is best if you only connect the same type of component to one Hub (i.e., digital or analog). If you intend to connect both digital and analog components to one Hub, buy the “Chassis Hub”. If you intend to separate components so that you only have digital components on one Hub, get the Signal Hub. The Signal apparently offers better noise reduction.
You can connect either Hub via a chassis screw or signal terminal (e.g., RCA); but in all cases you must have a direct connection to AC ground.

I have the Extreme connected to a Signal Hub. The sonic improvement was significant! However, I connected a few components at the same time, so I cannot speak for the Extreme connection alone, in terms of sonic differences. I will be connecting the new Switch to a Signal Hub.

Last edited:

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
@Taiko Audio

I have a silver Extreme on its way to Taiko headquarters to get it changed to 120V. Is this still possible - switching out the chassis?

Yes, that is always possible, however it comes with a cost, either a wait time plus a relatively small fee for re-anodising, which unfortunately nowadays can take up to 2 months, or the (partial) cost of a new chassis. You can contact support@taikoaudio.com for specifics / options.

Reactions: adamaley

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
No, as the lowest price option would now be to use the existing chassis with an internal BPS. This lower cost dual chassis version also requires partial external manufacturing, pricing (and availability) of which has increased considerably meanwhile. Moving manufacturing to in house while simultaneously increasing manufacturing efficiency has allowed us to get away with only a very minor increase (~1.5%) of the Extreme’s retail which now sits at Euro 28.000 including the enhanced USB card, new network card and a heavy duty flightcase.
So you can introduce the new BPS in the current Extreme including the batteries?

SwissTom

Sep 30, 2021
So you can introduce the new BPS in the current Extreme including the batteries?

I believe Emile has answered that question here :

Reactions: Taiko Audio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing