Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
What diagram? The net work card came with instructions. The switch(I assume is name, Man is it heavy for such a small item) came with no instructions. They are both installed and functioning is there anything else I have to do? I believe my extreme was previously fully updated.
Thanks
Yes, run the network script as indicated in the manual: https://taikoaudio.com/taiko-2020/w...iko-Audio-Extreme-Network-Card-Windows_v9.pdf

Or send teamviewer codes to support@taikoaudio.com, then we'll do it for you.

Reactions: Zeotrope

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I have a question.....@Taiko Audio

In order to install the card the Extreme front and rear is obviously powered off. You commented that the next 5 days of settle in results in even more improvement in SQ. My question......previously you have stated that turning off the rear switch results in discharge of the capacitors which takes 3-5 days to return when the rear switch is turned on again......so is this the reason for the improvement in SQ and/or does the switch also have to go through this 5 day settle in and this too results in uptick to SQ

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
I have a question.....@Taiko Audio

In order to install the card the Extreme front and rear is obviously powered off. You commented that the next 5 days of settle in results in even more improvement in SQ. My question......previously you have stated that turning off the rear switch results in discharge of the capacitors which takes 3-5 days to return when the rear switch is turned on again......so is this the reason for the improvement in SQ and/or does the switch also have to go through this 5 day settle in and this too results in uptick to SQ

The 5 days is just your good old electronic parts burn in of switch, networkcard and cabling.

Reactions: Steve Williams

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Preliminary results after a few hours of listening with the new card/Switch using a JCAT Duo LPS.

I first listened to the Taiko Switch/card only vs my two JCAT M12 switches which I have been using. Without a doubt vs the two each JCAT switches that I am used to with the Switch only there was more bloom to the sound. More of a 3D holographic projection with layering and a distinct openness and natural quality to the sound. It was immediately noticeable. Also individual instruments when they come in have distinct individual dynamics that make each instrument VERY noticeable. Bass had texture.

Next step was to insert the two each M12 switches in front of the Taiko Switch. The sound became more constricted. The airiness and openness seemed to disappear. It still sounded good but it definitely lost the magic that I heard with the Switch by itself. I was very surprised.

If anything when I inserted the two M12's the sound took on the character of the M12's and it was like the Taiko switch was not connected. But it was.

Next step back to the Taiko only/JCAT Duo LPS. Within 10 seconds of the first track = two JCAT M12 switches for sale. Game over.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
In some cases it appears the PCIe networkcard bracket does not align properly with the mounting hole. When you insert and tighten the bolt the card is lifted out of the PCIe socket. This can be corrected by bending the bracket a little prior to snugging the retaining screw

A514FE69-863D-4C8C-AEA0-A56FE90AC44E.jpeg

86DF805F-A8C7-452E-B463-34ADDD2ED611.jpeg

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Network card installation video:

Emile,

Shouldn't a recommendation to take the mains power cable out of the Extreme or from the mains socket be included in the public video? In some cases the switch will not be easily accessible and people risk just swithcing it of an an on again inadvertently. Also IMO it is good practice to take power cables out when fiddling inside electrical equipment.

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
However, if you want to tweak your system, the network still has influence on the sound and there are limitless opportunities to screw things up tweak your system to your liking.
No truer audiophile words have been written!

Steve Z

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Emile,

Shouldn't a recommendation to take the mains power cable out of the Extreme or from the mains socket be included in the public video? In some cases the switch will not be easily accessible and people risk just swithcing it of an an on again inadvertently. Also IMO it is good practice to take power cables out when fiddling inside electrical equipment.

The idea behind leaving the powercord plugged in is to keep the chassis grounded as protection for static discharge.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Folding it in what way?

Steve Williams

Preliminary results after a few hours of listening with the new card/Switch using a JCAT Duo LPS.

I first listened to the Taiko Switch/card only vs my two JCAT M12 switches which I have been using. Without a doubt vs the two each JCAT switches that I am used to with the Switch only there was more bloom to the sound. More of a 3D holographic projection with layering and a distinct openness and natural quality to the sound. It was immediately noticeable. Also individual instruments when they come in have distinct individual dynamics that make each instrument VERY noticeable. Bass had texture.

Next step was to insert the two each M12 switches in front of the Taiko Switch. The sound became more constricted. The airiness and openness seemed to disappear. It still sounded good but it definitely lost the magic that I heard with the Switch by itself. I was very surprised.

If anything when I inserted the two M12's the sound took on the character of the M12's and it was like the Taiko switch was not connected. But it was.

Next step back to the Taiko only/JCAT Duo LPS. Within 10 seconds of the first track = two JCAT M12 switches for sale. Game over.
IIRC and from Emile's recent interview in Masters and Makers that he said all switches add a different color or flavor and it was his goal to create a switch that would obviate the need for all others. Its seems from early reports that he has succeeded and there will be a flood of used switches available in the resale market.

I am also fascinated by neon's comment as to which port sounds better (the one closer to the power supply.

I have one last LPS that I will be using for the new switch but this will be temporary as my goal is the one box new extreme and to power the new switch ad router via the Taiko BPS

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Btw. for the ones that have more dust built up (due to carpets and so forth), is there a best practice recommend by Taiko for getting the dust of the Extreme’s valuable „intestines“ while we already have removed the top plate?
I was thinking about a Swiffer anti-dust magnet fluffy thing (which I regularly use on the outside for my components), but I‘m not sure if it‘s not potentially causing a static charge?
Maybe if applied very slowly and then do the above described static discharge / grounding routine, before turning the Extreme back on again?
Any recommendations are greatly appreciated to safely take care of our baby! :)
I personally would not attempt removing dust inside the Extreme with a Swiffer -- though remote there is a chance of snagging something with the Swiffer, plus you could inadvertently end up leaving fibers from the Swiffer inside.

The method I use (learned doing preventive maintenance on electrical and electronic equipment in the Navy) is to use a small portable vacuum cleaner with soft, non-conductive nozzle and a soft camel-hair brush with any conductive metallic parts taped over. A woman's make-up brush works well.

The techique is to *not* touch the vacuum nozzle to any of the boards or components inside the Extreme or any other electronic device you might be cleaning. Hold the nozzle near the soft brush and use to the brush to loosen and remove the dust from the equipment. This will avoid potential damage to the equipment. For bonus points you can follow up any inaccessible nooks and crannies with a spritz from a can of compressed air with the vacuum nozzle again nearby to suck up any additional dust stirred up by the compressed air.

Gently does it!

Good luck.

Steve Z

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
My Melco S-100 Switch + OCXO Pink Faun, sold yesterday

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Christian please confirm if this is correct.

1.- We install the Network card.

2.- We turn on Extreme, BUT WITH THE OLD NETWORK CONNECTION, IE WITH AN ETHERNET CABLE TO AN RJ45 PORT ON THE EXTREME MOTHERBOARD.

3.- Run the Script connecting with VNC

4.- Restart Extreme

5.- Remove the RJ45 cable from the RJ45 port of Extreme and connect the DAC cable to Extreme and the Taiko Switch.

6.- We connect Switch Taiko and our Router with Ethernet cable

7.- We pray fervently

8.- We load XDMS
Well, you can skip 4. since at the end of the script the Extreme is instructed to restart automatically.

7. is optional

Steve Z

Reactions: Taiko Audio

Steve Williams

Emile,

Shouldn't a recommendation to take the mains power cable out of the Extreme or from the mains socket be included in the public video? In some cases the switch will not be easily acessible and people risk just swithcing it of an an on again inadvertently. Also IMO it is good practice to take power cables out when fiddling inside electrical equipment.
I asked Emile the same thing an hour ago. He said it is left in to serve as a ground

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
If the network card works even if you don’t run the script why do you have to first connect to the Extreme using the MOBO ethernet port?
To maintain a functioning VNC connection to the Extreme to see what you are doing. The new network card will have a different IP address.

Steve Z

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
If the SQ gets even better after adding the Taiko switch, card and DAC cable I may have to incorporate a porta-john in my listening chair.
You might want to set up that appointment with your plumber right now. . .

Just sayin'

Steve Z

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Please note that Roon leaves a sonic imprint on networked audio components when running. XDMS sounds best when no Roon server is running, which is in part why we have a single toggle switch in XDMS.

Although the new network card and switch will greatly reduce Roon's impact, it may still be commendable to disconnect/shut down any Roon cores on the network to obtain the very best sound.

While the Extreme could function as a Roon endpoint only if you installed the full version of Roon, this is not recommended. Also, I would argue that it's simplest to simply use the Roon core on the Extreme. Alternatively, it may be a good idea to use another server such as the Roon Nucleus, or perhaps a basic NAS and a simple streaming endpoint on the side for family/non-critical Roon listening.
Good point! I do use Roon in my office, running on a Mac Pro. I have Zero interest in ever using Roon with the Extreme; so to not affect the sound quality Roon should be quit from running anywhere on the network, correct?

nuway

Jun 26, 2019
Once the Taiko OS update became available a year ago, I got rid of the switches and fiber in my IT chain with a great improvement in SQ. I’ve since spent the past few months re-optimizing my IT network in preparation for the new network card, switch and router to get my Extreme to sound as good as possible with only a modem, router and two LAN cables in the chain between the ISP cable coming into my place and the Extreme. This made it possible to evaluate just the LAN cable type/length as well as linear power supplies for the modem and router to find the best combination. The ISP uses coaxial cable to my place. So even when the Taiko router becomes available, I will need to keep a modem to convert from coaxial to ethernet cable (WAN). For that I’m using an Arris SB8200 modem with a Farad Super3 PSU with level-2 copper DC cable.

Recently I switched from a Ubiquity Amplifi all in one dual band wireless router located in my music room to an Edgerouter-X located near my modem and a Ubiquity AirCube access point located in my listening room about twenty feet away from the Extreme. The router is powered by a Plexir Elite BPS 12-volt supply with their upgrade DC cable. I’ve found the Plexir supply to be more engaging than the Farad. The Farad does nothing wrong, but the Plexir definitely makes more music in my system.
The AirCube access point is 2.4GHz only which is fine for using with a controller tablet and minimizes RF in the listening room. With the antenna gain turned all the way down using its app. I still get three out of four bars on my controller tablet. The Aircube is powered by an IFI iPowerX 5 volt supply.
With the router now located near the modem, I’m using a one-meter Sablon internet cable between the two. Then a 20 foot CAT5e UTP (Belden 7928A with Molex 0449150021 connectors) from the router to the Extreme. This particular Belden cable uses 26-gauge solid copper conductors with Teflon insulation. The connectors use heavy gold plating and the pins crimp directly to the wires. Making a simple and direct connection.
Surprisingly the Belden cable sounds better in one direction than the other as I found out by accident when I was evaluating cables and accidently switched up the direction. It sounds more transparent when it is oriented with the signal flow in the opposite direction of the writing on the cable jacket. I wonder if this will be the same for DAC cables? When the Taiko router becomes available, I plan to try a 20 foot DAC cable between the router and Taiko switch.
This particular combination of modem, router, cables and power supplies is producing the best sound that I have ever heard in my system by far. To the point that I don’t want to leave the listening chair. Everything sounds totally engaging, natural and organic. I could listen to it forever.
Changing even one device, PSU or cable in the IT chain can make or break the sound that I have right now. I’ve landed on a sweet spot and have no desire to touch anything until the new network card and switch arrive (tomorrow) and eventually the router when it becomes available.
If the SQ gets even better after adding the Taiko switch, card and DAC cable I may have to incorporate a porta-john in my listening chair.
Great details, Thank You. Could You please tell what Edgerouter-X model you are using?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing