Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Thank you Emile for the conformation and thanks to the entire Taiko team for pushing the boundaries in sound quality!

Thank you as well, we wouldn’t have the resources to innovate without our customers buying our products!

Yes the “error” is normal, it’s a message about permissions.
Well, but even if it gives that error, the Script is really executed, is it correct? I say this because since the card works even if the Script is not executed, there is always a doubt after a message like that.

Reactions: Steve Williams
Well, but even if it gives that error, the Script is really executed, is it correct? I say this because since the card works even if the Script is not executed, there is always a question after a message like that.

Yes, the script deletes itself and reboots the Extreme once it completes its job.

Are there many Switches left to ship?

When do you expect to ship the last units?
I will be abroad from 1. April for three weeks…

Running the switch with a lps:

I use a Ferrum Hypsos power supply with my Swisscom internet box (to be replaced with a Fritzbox 5590 fiber).
I consider having a y shaped dc cable made to run both internet box and Taiko switch on the Ferrum Hypsos output.

Ferrum offers a splitter for the same purpose, which would mean additional cost, more unnecessary contacts.

Would you recommend against this y shaped dc cable approach? Should I get two separate power supplies to avoid interference between internet box and switch?

Reactions: cat6man

I use a Ferrum Hypsos power supply with my Swisscom internet box (to be replaced with a Fritzbox 5590 fiber).
I consider having a y shaped dc cable made to run both internet box and Taiko switch on the Ferrum Hypsos output.

Ferrum offers a splitter for the same purpose, which would mean additional cost, more unnecessary contacts.

Would you recommend against this y shaped dc cable approach? Should I get two separate power supplies to avoid interference between internet box and switch?
I am using the Ferrum Hypsos with a Ferrum Y-shape splitter for my Fibre-converter + Router in my garage where fibre enters my property (so - buy the official one from Ferrum, it is built like a tank, military-feeling, very nice).

I will be using another Ferrum Hypsos with Y-shape splitter for my Taiko Switch (installation this afternoon) + Satellite-Router in my listening room.

With the offical Y-shape connector the Ferrum Hypsos still sense the voltage at the destination and adjusts - I guess theorethically you may loose something but whether it is detectable, do not know. It is 50% of the cost.

It would be something to test, I’m not familiar with that powersupply. You can always test / swap with the supplied medical smps.

I know this has been covered, need to solder up a DC cable. Connection to the switch 2.1 or 2.5?

Preliminary results after a few hours of listening with the new card/Switch using a JCAT Duo LPS.

I first listened to the Taiko Switch/card only vs my two JCAT M12 switches which I have been using. Without a doubt vs the two each JCAT switches that I am used to with the Switch only there was more bloom to the sound. More of a 3D holographic projection with layering and a distinct openness and natural quality to the sound. It was immediately noticeable. Also individual instruments when they come in have distinct individual dynamics that make each instrument VERY noticeable. Bass had texture.

Next step was to insert the two each M12 switches in front of the Taiko Switch. The sound became more constricted. The airiness and openness seemed to disappear. It still sounded good but it definitely lost the magic that I heard with the Switch by itself. I was very surprised.

If anything when I inserted the two M12's the sound took on the character of the M12's and it was like the Taiko switch was not connected. But it was.

Next step back to the Taiko only/JCAT Duo LPS. Within 10 seconds of the first track = two JCAT M12 switches for sale. Game over.
One area of the sonics that I did not notice until playing for several more hours with only the Switch/card is the MIDRANGE.

Voices especially have an uncanny realism to them. It makes previous listening to voices appear that there was a restriction or an outline of a voice. In real performance there is no restriction to voice when signing. It seems that previously when hearing the restriction around the edges of the voices it made things seemed maybe focused.

NOW, hearing voices is a surreal experience with zero restriction and an openness that I've personally never experience prior. Beguiling!!!

One area of the sonics that I did not notice until playing for several more hours with only the Switch/card is the MIDRANGE.

Voices especially have an uncanny realism to them. It makes previous listening to voices appear that there was a restriction or an outline of a voice. In real performance there is no restriction to voice when signing. It seems that previously when hearing the restriction around the edges of the voices it made things seemed maybe focused.

NOW, hearing voices is a surreal experience with zero restriction and an openness that I've personally never experience prior. Beguiling!!!

You can even clearly hear that particular aspect on iphone videos (I posted 2 of these before in this thread) using the switch:

I am using the Ferrum Hypsos with a Ferrum Y-shape splitter for my Fibre-converter + Router in my garage where fibre enters my property (so - buy the official one from Ferrum, it is built like a tank, military-feeling, very nice).

I will be using another Ferrum Hypsos with Y-shape splitter for my Taiko Switch (installation this afternoon) + Satellite-Router in my listening room.

With the offical Y-shape connector the Ferrum Hypsos still sense the voltage at the destination and adjusts - I guess theorethically you may loose something but whether it is detectable, do not know. It is 50% of the cost.
Hi Nils!
To the best of my knowledge the Ferrum made splitter does not allow (or disables) the voltage sensing.

Otoh, all reviews I have read claimed better sound with voltage sensing disabled.
I personally did not hear much difference when I disabled it, but didn’t do critical listening.

You can even clearly hear that particular aspect on iphone videos (I posted 2 of these before in this thread) using the switch:

When I inserted the two each M 12 switches before the switch and network card this characteristic, which is so wonderful disappeared.

Agree, those are perfect examples of the openness of the midrange. The great thing is that it doesn't matter what you play, rock, hip-hop, blues, jazz etc, the voices, midrange (not only voices but instruments as well) but everything in the midrange is SO OPEN sounding.

I used to look for great recorded vocal tracks, now you can put on any recording, even a bad recording and the midrange is still very open sounding. Never expected this.

Congratulations to Netherlands on their 4-2 victory over Cuba last night in their first round baseball game at the WBC in Taiwan.
The Cubans can play some ball...Big accomplishment....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing