VIP/Donor
Feb 20, 2020
Reactions: nuway

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Might be against forum rules but I just listed my two each M12 switches and one Duo3 LPS along with 3 Signature Gold JCat switches on AG. I am still having a hard time comprehending that the Switch/card did away with the need of the JCAT switches/PS that I have been so fond of for the last few years. Go figure.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
@jelt2359 and @nenon did a great job describing the improvements in musically relevant sound quality with the new Taiko switch and network interface card (NIC). I'm not sure that I can improve on what they wrote, but I'll try to add my own impressions.

Additional words and phases that come to my mind are a sense of increased energy in the room, naturalness and ease, weight and tonal/timbral saturation and texture. Everything seems much more present and visceral -- little details I wasn't fully aware of before are clearer in a very natural, coherent way. No hint of edginess, or rather if any edginess exists it does so as part of the source track and not as system noise. Voices sound so real and present in my room that I've spent several hours just queuing up any and all vocal tracks I could think of just to enjoy having singers present in my room singing directly to me.

Overall, while I had a hard time imagining how an improvement in sound quality was going to manifest itself with the new switch and NIC, what I'm hearing far exceeds any expectations I might have had.

Just one example of many that sound far better than they did even two days ago:

View attachment 105724

"Trouble's What You're In" by Fink

Kudos once again to Emile and the Taiko team!

Steve Z
Totally agree. I use the same album to demo . My favorite track of his is Sort of Revolution

Christiaan Punter

after installing the switch/network card, has anyone have a chance to compare WAV versus FLAC on local files?
The planned FLAC "solution" is not yet implemented. So, for now, the difference between FLAC and WAV should be unchanged.

Christiaan Punter

Folding it in what way?
Folded outward so that the hole in the plate aligns with the screw hole in the Extreme's chassis. This will prevent the card from tipping up and in part out of the PCI socket.

Reactions: oldmustang

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
Might be against forum rules but I just listed my two each M12 switches and one Duo3 LPS along with 3 Signature Gold JCat switches on AG. I am still having a hard time comprehending that the Switch/card did away with the need of the JCAT switches/PS that I have been so fond of for the last few years. Go figure.
I think that this is only the second time that a server manufacturer has actually built a hi-fi switch from scratch. I could imagine that designing and optimising the firmware/SW/HW ’handshake’ and traffic flow between switch and router could have some great benefits. I would expect the new router to do a lot more along the same lines. I have found that all aspects of the network’s physical layer are what is largely responsible for the eventual music’s presentation. The better the physical layer, the more easily the brain detects subtleties and differences in the amplitude, phase (timing) and frequencies of the 2 sets of soundwaves reaching our ears.
There’s an overriding network hi-fi axiom that I‘ve yet to see contradicted and that is: better in = better out. This behaviour is what allows improvements early in the process to tranverse the whole network and be heard in the music.

I also reckon that the clamshell-like casing of the new Taiko offers quite some benefits in terms of both EMI ingress and resonance control. I can‘t imagine that casing ‘ringing’ when given the knuckle rap test; just a sore knuckle.

The finding that the output from one Taiko switch into an Extreme is better than the output of two 3rd party switches into an Extreme is exactly the sign of a successful design and implementation. It should be so. It should indeed outperform any 3rd party switch arrangement. It’s been designed to do exactly that. The combination of Taiko router, switch and Extreme will re-define just how good networked audio can be. I am on a very different path but I’ve continued to develop my network and I’ve found it to be very rich ground for enhancements, so a Taiko designed complete chain will remove a lot of inherent flaws related to the consumer grade electronics and SW most of us use in parts of our network.

Just to add, the beauty of the switch is a perfect demonstration of ‘form follows function‘. Functional audio jewellery!

BTW, as you can probably tell, I’m really enjoying all the good vibes around this rollout, which got me thinking about just how damned lucky and fortunate we all are. Which then got me thinking about passing on a little bit of this happiness to help the less fortunate, just ya know, to show some gratitude .

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Another tid-bit is that I prefer Roon now with the Switch/card vs. XDMS prior sans Switch/card. Although there is pretty significant up-tick in overall SQ with XDMS/Switch/card vs Roon/Switch/card, which is to be expected.

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
So I‘m going to push the boat out on this one!

Power supplies for the new Taiko switch.

Firstly let me state that I have expectation bias. When I encounter an upgrade that worked in 1 instance, I expect it to do the same in other instances. This of course won’t happen in all cases, for example where the item replaced was in fact superior to the replacement.

OK, with that in mind, my experience with every switch I‘ve owned (4) is that the PS plays a major role in the sonic signature of its output. Change the PS and you change the output’s characteristics.
There’s no doubt that the new switch is performing at new sonic quality levels with its supplied power supply. My question is; does it get even better with more expensive power supplies? If the switch is close to the Extreme then the obvious solution is the forthcoming BPS. But if its remote, what effects do LPS power supplies have?

For me network switches have always been a transparent window into the power supply’s sonic attributes. Is that also true with the new Taiko?
No doubt we’ll be hearing soon…………….

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
So I‘m going to push the boat out on this one!

Power supplies for the new Taiko switch.

Firstly let me state that I have expectation bias. When I encounter an upgrade that worked in 1 instance, I expect it to do the same in other instances. This of course won’t happen in all cases, for example where the item replaced was in fact superior to the replacement.

OK, with that in mind, my experience with every switch I‘ve owned (4) is that the PS plays a major role in the sonic signature of its output. Change the PS and you change the output’s characteristics.
There’s no doubt that the new switch is performing at new sonic quality levels with its supplied power supply. My question is; does it get even better with more expensive power supplies? If the switch is close to the Extreme then the obvious solution is the forthcoming BPS. But if its remote, what effects do LPS power supplies have?
For me network switches have always been a transparent window into the power supply’s sonic attributes. Is that also true with the new Taiko?
No doubt we’ll be hearing soon…………….
I have only tried and am using the JCAT DUO3 LPS with the new switch. I will switch to the supplied wall wart ps at some point. At the moment I can't get myself to disconnect what's playing but I will just for the knowledge. Although regardless of the outcome I'm waiting for the BPS as my destination set up.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Another tid-bit is that I prefer Roon now with the Switch/card vs. XDMS prior sans Switch/card. Although there is pretty significant up-tick in overall SQ with XDMS/Switch/card vs Roon/Switch/card, which is to be expected.
Blasphemy :)

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I actually equate the new Switch/card as if I upgraded my preamp/amp(s) or DAC. Definitely not just an upgrade to the existing sound that XDMS was providing sans Switch/card. I'm sure there will be many opinions of the Switch/card, my opinions are just based on from what I am hearing in my room, with my set up and room. YMMV.

Steve Williams

I have only tried and am using the JCAT DUO3 LPS with the new switch. I will switch to the supplied wall wart ps at some point. At the moment I can't get myself to disconnect what's playing but I will just for the knowledge. Although regardless of the outcome I'm waiting for the BPS as my destination set up.
My switch and upcoming router will sit on the shelf immediately under my Extreme with the intent that both will be powered by the BPS

Steve Williams

@Taiko Audio @Christiaan Punter .....has there been a determination yet as to best connection between new router and switch. It was Ethernet initially but now I'm seeing possibly DAC. If DAC will that be supplied with the router

Also to a/b with and without the switch can this be done by just powering the switch on and off or can that cause damage to the new card

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
@Taiko Audio @Christiaan Punter .....has there been a determination yet as to best connection between new router and switch. It was Ethernet initially but now I'm seeing possibly DAC. If DAC will that be supplied with the router

Also to a/b with and without the switch can this be done by just powering the switch on and off or can that cause damage to the new card
If you power the switch off, it's not going to pass through the signal from the router is it?

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020
Question for the early arrival commenters: are you hearing these SQ improvements on both streaming and local file playback?

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Question for the early arrival commenters: are you hearing these SQ improvements on both streaming and local file playback?
I have only used streaming Qobuz/Tidal. Have not tried files yet.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com

Not yet determined, it’s not just a matter of swapping cables, there’s also software/firmware tuning involved.

Powercycling the switch doesn’t damage the card. You can also safely unplug/replug cables or SFP modules while everything is powered on.

Reactions: oldmustang

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing