Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

0. damn, this extreme is heavy. how did i ever get this into the rack?
1. where are my allen wrenches?
2. why won't the screws on the top come off, turn the wrench harder wimp
3. slot 2 doesn't look like what i want, oh, count from the other end
4. wrong size philips head screwdriver, need a bigger one, screw comes out fine
5. the stupid pcie board in slot 2 doesn't want to come out, time to get a slotted screwdriver and pry the top of the bracket up
6. the rest is a piece of cake, except for getting the extreme back into the rack
7. added switch (damn, this is heavy) to ethernet and new network card via DAC cable, power on everything
8. scan for new IP address, updated vnc viewer with new IP, but now it wants the password.......go look it up (again)
9. run new script to install latest parameters and settings, restarts
10. connect via android tablet xdms control app, everything looks fine
11. turn on tube amps

back in a few days :D

This is what I did and the combo has been playing flawlessly for hours and hours. I just made sure that the DAC cable was somehow anchored so the card wouldn’t move.
Did you also have the same problem as Nils?

Did you also have the same problem as Nils?

So far there are 7 people with a misaligned bracket, I found 3 more amongst the network cards we still have here. This causes the cards to be seated incorrectly which in turn causes a loss of connectivity after a while. We're shipping out replacement brackets.

So far there are 7 people with a misaligned bracket, I found 3 more amongst the network cards we still have here. This causes the cards to be seated incorrectly which in turn causes a loss of connectivity after a while. We're shipping out replacement brackets.
Hi Emile,

I had my card seated properly. When I secured the bracket to the chassis, I observed that back end of card got lifted like a mm or two. I did not make a big deal out of it. Now that other are experiencing the issue, the card that I have is supposed to do that when I secure it to the chassis? I did not loose any connectivity. Just wondering if the card I have is supposed to exhibit that behavior when secured? Thx

Hi Emile,

I had my card seated properly. When I secured the bracket to the chassis, I observed that back end of card got lifted like a mm or two. I did not make a big deal out of it. Now that other are experiencing the issue, the card that I have is supposed to do that when I secure it to the chassis? I did not loose any connectivity. Just wondering if the card I have is supposed to exhibit that behavior when secured? Thx

You can check if it’s seated correctly horizontally referencing it to the nearest adjacent card.

Last edited:
You can check if it’s seated correctly horizontally referencing it to the nearest adjacent card.
I think my issue is the slot on the bracket is not aligned with the hold on the chassis. Here is what I see when took the card out and re-aligned it. 1678321347738.png

If I push the bracket to get it aligned to the hole, the back side gets lifted like an mm or two.

I think my issue is the slot on the bracket is not aligned with the hold on the chassis. Here is what I see when took the card out and re-aligned it. View attachment 105796

If I push the bracket to get it aligned to the hole, the back side gets lifted like an mm or two.
Is there no give to where you secure to the chassis? Just thinking out of the box, was wondering if you could put a little torque on the tab that connects to the chassis to keep it from lifting that MM? Manipulate it a tad...

Reactions: theaudiogeek
Is there no give to where you secure to the chassis? Just thinking out of the box, was wondering if you could put a little torque on the tab that connects to the chassis to keep it from lifting that MM? Manipulate it a tad...

It's copper, so relatively soft, you could bend it into shape, but we can also send a replacement.

It's copper, so relatively soft, you could bend it into shape, but we can also send a replacement.
I don't expect all people to do it but another option re-drill the hole wider and use a thin washer. Or with a dremel take a little copper off of the lip so the screw aligns...

Reactions: MarkusBarkus
I did just that and here is after the mod and the screw hole alignment. Much better and the card is seated all the way with zero movement.
1678323591429.png
1678323629043.png
The pan head screw can catch on the bracket by securing it in place. Sorry about the poor picture quality.

Yes.. that is what I did and I have posted the pictures. It is much better than before and its fully seated with zero movement.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing