Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

What is the rationale in providing two unfiltered outputs? I ask because given 6 outputs, it seems another choice could have been 2 each of filter 1, 2 and 3.
Emile mentioned that the extra unfiltered output is a nice bonus that costs very little to add. I'd like to add that adding multiples of each alternate filter would have required the implementation of entire additional filter sections with expensive parts which would have resulted in a larger device and much-elevated cost. We have contemplated this very thoroughly and ultimately decided on the current configuration. Normally, you’d likely use at least 1 default filter and the other would be unfiltered, default, or alt 1 or 2.

@Taiko Audio, at some point I remember a feature of the BPS was mentioned in this thread, as it being able to power 3 devices, and, when using 3x splitters, up to 9 devices.

Assuming I am correct, what type devices could they be in terms of voltage / current needs? An utilization setup like: 1x outlet for the Extreme, 1x with 2x splitter for my DAC and Clock, and 1x with 2x splitters for the Router and Switch would be possible?

Such a flexible powerhouse, in a separate housing, would tick a lot of boxes in my system :)

Reactions: John T
@Taiko Audio, at some point I remember a feature of the BPS was mentioned in this thread, as it being able to power 3 devices, and, when using 3x splitters, up to 9 devices.

Assuming I am correct, what type devices could they be in terms of voltage / current needs? An utilization setup like: 1x outlet for the Extreme, 1x with 2x splitter for my DAC and Clock, and 1x with 2x splitters for the Router and Switch would be possible?

Such a flexible powerhouse, in a separate housing, would tick a lot of boxes in my system :)
The BPS will have 3 outputs. The "splitters" are what we now call the DC Power Distributor. You can use three of these and power up to 6 devices per DC Power Distributor. The BPS can supply over 1000A of instantaneous current which should be plenty for any realistically conceivable situation.

For more info, see also the BPS Summary Doc on the Downloads section of the Taiko Site, also attached below.

Attachments

• Taiko BPS Summary_v12.pdf
    439.4 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Christian,​

Emile said that the port forwarding is pre-configured in the router and AP gave an excellent summary on PF below. If you don't mind at least I would find it VERY HELPFUL if you can do a summary on EXACTLY what needs to be done when the router is installed to initiate the Port Forwarding between the Taiko Router and our home router.

Thx in advance if you can do this.

austinpop

Well-Known Member​

cat6man said:
i'd still like to better understand how to set up port forwarding, to better isolate parts of my system.
not just audio, but also home network, IoT things, etc
At the risk of going off-topic, what specifically did you want to know?

At a very high level, home routers implement a firewall that blocks all incoming connection requests. This provides security, so the best scenario for security is to not use port forwarding (or port triggering, a related feature) at all. The reason port forwarding is useful is when you want to run a server/service inside your home network to which you want to allow devices from outside to connect. By doing this, you're trading off security for function, so you want to do this judiciously, and very carefully. For example, if you want to run a server on a single machine that has local IP address 192.168.1.235, that listens on port 800 (random example), you would configure your router to route incoming traffic (from the external internet) addressed to port 800 to the local machine at 192.168.1.235. For security, you would be well advised to place this machine in the router's DMZ. And make sure this machine has good antivirus, malware, and ransomware protection.

The Taiko router's situation is more specialized. Since the "internet" or WAN for the Taiko router is your current home network, which is already secured by your home router, security is less of a concern. One of the key functions of the Taiko router is to block broadcast and multicast traffic on your home network from propagating to the Taiko audio network. But the Taiko router still needs to allow devices on the home network to access the Extreme for:
- accessing the Roon core
- accessing the XDMS server
- transferring files
- and perhaps other things.

So for these services, the Taiko router will need to preconfigure port forwarding rules, that allow these services to be accessed. This is still better than having all broadcast and multicast traffic from your home network through.

Does this help?

Reactions:You, Christiaan Punter, Armsan and 2 others

We listened exclusively using Roon and Emile did not disclose any details but I could see the Extreme Switch + Extreme Router were powered via the Extreme DC Power Distributor that was in turn connected to a very large, 4 Ampere, proprietary linear power supply. The Router and Switch were connected via a DAC cable, as were the Switch and Extreme server.

@Christiaan Punter
Very interesting read, promise kept Christiaan!
Does Taiko use a « dirty » router somewhere in this setup? Or is the Taiko router connected (directly) to a modem? it’s own dedicated modem I mean.
Thanks

The BPS will have 3 outputs. The "splitters" are what we now call the DC Power Distributor. You can use three of these and indeed power 9 devices. The BPS can supply over 1000A of instantaneous current which should be plenty for any realistically conceivable situation.

For more info, see also the BPS Summary Doc on the Downloads section of the Taiko Site, also attached below.
What sonic observations were made BPS without DC Power Distributer? For those of us who thought they want the BPS, there seems to be a gray area. At first it was said that Taiko will take the Power Distributer back. Then I read "perhaps" the Power Distributer "could" be of benefit with the BPS. If the Power Distributer along with the Router rivals or equals the BPS in SQ, I might just play that hand? If you can shed more light here it will be helpful...

Reactions: ctydwn

Christian,​

Emile said that the port forwarding is pre-configured in the router and AP gave an excellent summary on PF below. If you don't mind at least I would find it VERY HELPFUL if you can do a summary on EXACTLY what needs to be done when the router is installed to initiate the Port Forwarding between the Taiko Router and our home router.

Thx in advance if you can do this.

austinpop

Well-Known Member​

At the risk of going off-topic, what specifically did you want to know?

At a very high level, home routers implement a firewall that blocks all incoming connection requests. This provides security, so the best scenario for security is to not use port forwarding (or port triggering, a related feature) at all. The reason port forwarding is useful is when you want to run a server/service inside your home network to which you want to allow devices from outside to connect. By doing this, you're trading off security for function, so you want to do this judiciously, and very carefully. For example, if you want to run a server on a single machine that has local IP address 192.168.1.235, that listens on port 800 (random example), you would configure your router to route incoming traffic (from the external internet) addressed to port 800 to the local machine at 192.168.1.235. For security, you would be well advised to place this machine in the router's DMZ. And make sure this machine has good antivirus, malware, and ransomware protection.

The Taiko router's situation is more specialized. Since the "internet" or WAN for the Taiko router is your current home network, which is already secured by your home router, security is less of a concern. One of the key functions of the Taiko router is to block broadcast and multicast traffic on your home network from propagating to the Taiko audio network. But the Taiko router still needs to allow devices on the home network to access the Extreme for:
- accessing the Roon core
- accessing the XDMS server
- transferring files
- and perhaps other things.

So for these services, the Taiko router will need to preconfigure port forwarding rules, that allow these services to be accessed. This is still better than having all broadcast and multicast traffic from your home network through.

Does this help?

Reactions:You, Christiaan Punter, Armsan and 2 others

If configured with port forwarding all you have to do is move the ethernet cable from switch to router and insert the dac cable between router and switch, that’s it.

@Christiaan Punter
Very interesting read, promise kept Christiaan!
Does Taiko use a « dirty » router somewhere in this setup? Or is the Taiko router connected (directly) to a modem? it’s own dedicated modem I mean.
Thanks

The Taiko Router is inserted between the existing router and the Taiko Switch.

What sonic observations were made BPS without DC Power Distributer? For those of us who thought they want the BPS, there seems to be a gray area. At first it was said that Taiko will take the Power Distributer back. Then I read "perhaps" the Power Distributer "could" be of benefit with the BPS. If the Power Distributer along with the Router rivals or equals the BPS in SQ, I might just play that hand? If you can shed more light here it will be helpful...

Well I do very much like the “voicing” potential of these filters. But as our plate is very full extensively testing this is not a priority right now. Hence the offer to just return it if you upgrade to the BPS and it becomes redundant. I did test one on the main (non audiophile) router and it has a very positive effect there aswell.m

Additionally to this the DC distributor also provides “isolation” between multiple devices connected to the same supply.

Last edited:
The BPS will have 3 outputs. The "splitters" are what we now call the DC Power Distributor. You can use three of these and power up to 6 devices per DC Power Distributor. The BPS can supply over 1000A of instantaneous current which should be plenty for any realistically conceivable situation.

I think this was asked before, but the BPS the way I understand it can only provide DC like it’s needed for the Switch / Router. Or can we connect our (expensive) AC powercords and power „anything“ in our system like DAC, preamps, power amps? Wasn‘t this what @simorag was referring to? But maybe I‘m just mixing things up… If it can indeed power those devices as well, the relative value of the BPS would be even higher!

I think this was asked before, but the BPS the way I understand it can only provide DC like it’s needed for the Switch / Router. Or can we connect our (expensive) AC powercords and power „anything“ in our system like DAC, preamps, power amps? Wasn‘t this what @simorag was referring to? But maybe I‘m just mixing things up… If it can indeed power those devices as well, the relative value of the BPS would be even higher!

It’s indeed DC (12-24V) out which cannot power AC (100/110/220/230/240V) powered devices.

Reactions: MusicFellow
Really looking forward to the final pricing of the various BPS options (internal, external, external mini)… because an option to allocate my funds is to first buy the big boy and then later this year the Switch and Router - especially since my two favored colour options copper and silver are still pending.

Reactions: ctydwn and simorag
Extreme DC Power Distributor tests

The Taiko Router is inserted between the existing router and the Taiko Switch.
Thanks Taiko team !

IMG_0014.jpeg
Source: Taiko-Network-Card-Switch-Summary_v26.pdf (preferred connection between Router and Switch is DAC cable)

Question I : Adding a Taiko router advanced setup. For a full ''provided by others'' chain & devices before the Taiko chain I want to come well prepared, if I understand correctly @ Taiko the best performance chain contains the following:

INPUT provided by others # 1 to 7:

1) ISP modem + optional good linear power supply + good DC cable
?
2) Fiber or RJ45 Ethernet cable
?
3) existing router + optional good linear power supply + good DC cable
?
4) RJ45 Ethernet cable (to Taiko Router)

- & -

5) Access point + optional good linear power supply + good DC cable
?
6) RJ45 Ethernet cable (to Taiko Router)

- & -

7) Phone or Tablet

Question II : The Taiko Router has/can have an a) Access Point that allows for access with b) an Android or IOS tablet or phone. Could you share what generation/OS portable device gives the best results? I am aware ''the best'' can change quickly over time with updated models of portable devices coming out every year.

Taiko_WiFi_or_not2.jpg

(RJ45 Ethernet cable)
?
Taiko:
?

Taiko Router + Extreme DC Power Distributor (shared) + Taiko DC cable
?
DAC cable
?
Taiko Switch + Extreme DC Power Distributor (shared) + Taiko DC cable
?
DAC cable
?
Taiko Extreme (Taiko Network card)
?
etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Taiko Audio
Dear Emile, Is the private session with Taiko Extreme (regular power supply) vs. Taiko Extreme with BPS confirmed for the Munich High End? Day/Time? In my case, it would be crucial in terms of purchase decision, and the main reason to go to Munich. Cheers.

I did that for last 2 years as I could not listen with wifi access point in any place in my system.
This works excellent.
but
I was able to bring down the noise to the hardwire connection level with use of 2 and recently 3 isolating switches And powering the AP with a battery.

Powering AP with battery presents its problems (as I found out).

I used a empirical audio monolith battery to power my AP, and it injects its own battery sound signature, along with some harshness.

Switching to a Farad Super 3 for the AP, I could easily tell the difference between the power supplies.

I could isolate the AP with switches, but the power supplies for those switches will inject their own signature also.

For those not aware of details on the new networking products, Emile was so thoughtful as to PM me a link to a PDF with a wealth of detail on his product.

Taiko-Network-Card-Switch-Summary_v26.pdf (taikoaudio.com)

You're a classy guy Emile, and thank you.

Darryl
FYI there seems to be a typo somewhere:

in post #17423 Emile said "Sure, if your LPS is up to the task, switch is 100mA, router 500mA, if you use fiber, each fiber module can add about another 100mA"

However in the v26 summary above, on p 5 it states
Screen Shot 2023-05-09 at 11.55.07 AM.png

One of these is apparently incorrect. Please revise accordingly?

FYI there seems to be a typo somewhere:

in post #17423 Emile said "Sure, if your LPS is up to the task, switch is 100mA, router 500mA, if you use fiber, each fiber module can add about another 100mA"

However in the v26 summary above, on p 5 it states
View attachment 109160

One of these is apparently incorrect. Please revise accordingly?

Yes that’s an older version, the most recent versions are on our downloads page:

Dear Emile, Is the private session with Taiko Extreme (regular power supply) vs. Taiko Extreme with BPS confirmed for the Munich High End? Day/Time? In my case, it would be crucial in terms of purchase decision, and the main reason to go to Munich. Cheers.

I’m not sure if we can actually perform a representative A/B under show conditions. For that you’d be better of visiting us in Oldenzaal.

I’m not sure if we can actually perform a representative A/B under show conditions. For that you’d be better of visiting us in Oldenzaal.
Unfortunately, not possible for me to go to Oldenzaal in 2023, so I hope there will be any sort of A/B, even if non-optimal. Otherwise, difficult to pull the trigger in purchasing a BPS without listening to the difference it makes. Cheers

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing