Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

I saw that in their on-line catalog and chuckled. The FS.com passive DAC cable I received from Taiko is labeled "Generic" or code GE. Though I have to say I am not sure what the specific differences are.
For context - some switches are "locked" to use their own branded cables and transceivers only (that cost a lot more than generic cables.. so, yes, not only the audio industry makes money from expensive cables). Essentially if you connect a cable from a different manufacturer it will either not work at all or work but the switch manufacturer will not support you until you replace it with their brand of cables.
When you select the compatible brand, the cable reseller makes sure the chip inside the cable (if there is one) is programed to reflect the selected manufacturer hardware code. It's essentially "hacking" the cable, so the switch thinks it's an original cable.
None of that matters for the Taiko switch, so "Generic" is fine.

Last edited:
I have a new Extreme. This is my second. I sold my first for complicated reasons, but am happy to be back!

I've hit a roadblock in trying to get it up and playing music. Despite my wired internet to the Extreme being fine, Roon can't find the Taiko Core. This morning, Christian kindly responded to my help call and wanted to get on Vnc to check things out but could not do so without the Extreme's IP ..... And apparently the only way to get this info (other than having XDMS) is going on an app like FING to look it up. However FING requires wifi and I only have a uselessly weak wifi signal in my dedicated listening space 70' from our house.

Is there another way to unearth the Extreme's IP? I guess I could get a wifi extender for the sole reason of getting on FING.

This was not an issue setting up my first Extreme.

I have a new Extreme. This is my second. I sold my first for complicated reasons, but am happy to be back!

I've hit a roadblock in trying to get it up and playing music. Despite my wired internet to the Extreme being fine, Roon can't find the Taiko Core. This morning, Christian kindly responded to my help call and wanted to get on Vnc to check things out but could not do so without the Extreme's IP ..... And apparently the only way to get this info (other than having XDMS) is going on an app like FING to look it up. However FING requires wifi and I only have a uselessly weak wifi signal in my dedicated listening space 70' from our house.

Is there another way to unearth the Extreme's IP? I guess I could get a wifi extender for the sole reason of getting on FING.

One way is to login to your router. There should be a list of dhcp leases or clients there. by process of elimination of by the client name like EXTREME20xxxx you may be able to find it.

the other way is to attach a monitor and keyboard and actually look locally on the Extreme. Command line then ipconfig.

What about the TAS app if you don’t have XDMS? That can auto find the Extreme too if it’s on the same subnet.

One way is to login to your router. There should be a list of dhcp leases or clients there. by process of elimination of by the client name like EXTREME20xxxx you may be able to find it.

the other way is to attach a monitor and keyboard and actually look locally on the Extreme. Command line then ipconfig.

What about the TAS app if you don’t have XDMS? That can auto find the Extreme too if it’s on the same subnet.

How do you know your wired internet to the Extreme is “fine”, out of curiosity?

There are other free apps that will run on a wired-connection laptop such as LanScan, although there is a Windows version of Fing for laptops or PCs. Also, as seatrope said, logging into your router will give a list of devices attached to your network.

Steve Z

There are other free apps that will run on a wired-connection laptop such as LanScan, although there is a Windows version of Fing for laptops or PCs. Also, as seatrope said, logging into your router will give a list of devices attached to your network.

Steve Z
The other thing to remember @wil is that assuming your wired internet all goes back to the same router, you can simply go back to your main house and run Fing from your phone there. It should find the extreme as it’s in the same network.

You can connect the screen and mouse + keyboard to extreme and look in the serverer Directly,
Alternative is to log into the router. It should have extreme listed there with its IP address.

Has anyone compared the Taiko switch with the synergistic research ethernet switch uef? The SR switch seem to be a much more advanced design than the Taiko one…

Last edited:
Hi Emile and Taiko Team,

I would like to report back my experience with the Taiko network card and my Ravenna system. I am using Merging Hapi and anibus all connected via the Revanna network. I bought 1 network card at the beginning together with the switch. The improvement was substantial as everyone experienced. This card was connected to the switch and then to the Internet. Today I bought one more card and this time connected to my Revanna setup. The good things that I experienced with the first card continue to escalate with a second card. The darkness, the micro dynamics, the punch all improved.

So for those using Revanna, I encourage to consider this option.

Arthur

Well, if you read this: https://www.synergisticresearch.com/accessories/ethernet-switch-uef/ Then, at least, I think that it seem to be a more advanced design. I may be wrong and that is why I raise the question.
"A state-of-the-art analog rig still excels in areas of spacial and holographic realism, as well as a harmonic texture that leaves many digital systems sounding somewhat flat and bleached in comparison."

A state of the art vs. many?

All I can say is, not in my room.

Mn

Reactions: nuway and DW101
I just finished my first real listening session with the network card and switch. Wow! As you might remember, when I first installed the switch there was some sibilance. Well, with Taiko’s help, a change to the isolation strategy, a new DC cable, and (I think) some break-in time, that is no longer and issue. Neither is the edginess or thinness i first experienced. All I can say is the system has never sounded better. It is astounding how good it sounds. There is an organic feeling, a sense of organization I haven’t heard before. Difficult recordings are now listenable and even sound great. I am absolutely amazed. I can’t wait for the router, distributor and whatever else Emile and team have up their sleeve.

Last edited:
I just finished my first real listening session with the network card and switch. Wow! As you might remember, when I first installed the switch there was some sibilance. Well, with Taiko’s help, a change to the isolation strategy, a new digital cable, and (I think) some break-in time that is no longer and issue. Neither is the edginess or thinness i first experienced. All I can say is the system has never sounded better. It is astounding how good it sounds. There is an organic feeling, a sense of organization I haven’t heard before. Difficult recordings are now listenable and even sound great. I am absolutely amazed. I can’t wait for the router, distributor and whatever else Emile and team have up their sleeve.
Are you using wall wart?

Hi Emile and Taiko Team,

I would like to report back my experience with the Taiko network card and my Ravenna system. I am using Merging Hapi and anibus all connected via the Revanna network. I bought 1 network card at the beginning together with the switch. The improvement was substantial as everyone experienced. This card was connected to the switch and then to the Internet. Today I bought one more card and this time connected to my Revanna setup. The good things that I experienced with the first card continue to escalate with a second card. The darkness, the micro dynamics, the punch all improved.

So for those using Revanna, I encourage to consider this option.

Arthur
Thanks for the tip. I’m also using Ravenna, but with a NADAC stack. Emile didn’t think there would be great benefit in adding a second card for connection out, but he said I could try. It seems you have tried and it helped. I guess I’m adding a second card. :)

Reactions: onur

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing