Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Hi,
Anyone using Roon ARC? Just curious.
I go back to roon, side by side with a field register inside the Extreme, there is no game, Roon is unlistenable. If I change so much material in the pas is surely because of this damn roon

Reactions: Armsan
It could also be helpful to connect your Merging directly to the Sotm switches as an additional datapoint.

I wish you a speedy recovery!
Thank you for the kind wishes and all the support. I took some time to do some of the suggested tests (I’ll do more as circumstances allow). In order to make these tests easier and faster, I decided to focus only on the sibilance while listening, but will mention anything else that stood out. Below is a summary and aggregation:
Ed was kind enough to send me a DM explaining that he’s found sibilance related to (and I’m paraphrasing so forgive if I misspeak) vibrations and anti-vibration solutions.
So first I removed the Butcher Block with Gaia feet platforms from both the PSU and the Taiko switch. I placed them both directly on the wood of the rack. The overall sound of both switches was worse and the sibilance (while still reduced from first listen) was evident in the Taiko and perhaps now a little more in the SOtM.
I then put the PSU on 3 Isoacoustics Orea disks. There was some improvement in both switches, but overall SQ not as good as I heard originally and the difference in sibilance the same. Of note, in the SOtM there was a new noise, almost like a sonic rattling, that I hadn’t heard before.
I put the PSU back on the platform and the difference in sibilance was similar, but that “rattling” noise from the SOtMs was gone. The SOtMs sounded very good.
I then put 4 Orea feet under the Taiko and its sibilance was reduced. In comparing it to the SOtMs, the sibilance made the occasional appearance but didn’t sound out of character like before. I couldn’t be sure if the Taiko was doing more with the recording or there was still something going on. (If pressed I’d say the latter.) Overall,, the Taiko sounded the better of the two. Analytically, it was more precise and resolving. (I wasn’t listening for musicality.)And the leanness and edginess I mentioned previously weren’t evident during this listen.
I then swapped the Taiko’s PSU to the wall wart. There wasn’t a significant change in sibilance, but, of course, it didn’t sound as good overall. However, it sounded much better than I expected.
In summary, the sibilance issue is much improved and I’m analytically impressed with the Taiko. Based upon what I’ve just heard, I think Ed is right. The issue is in the proper isolation. While the Orea feet were a great improvement over the wood platform for the Twiko, I surmise there are better solutions out there. There are still other tests to run and I’ll do so when my health and time allow. (Im in the process of moving. The system will be broken down in two to three weeks.)

Overall, I’m really excited about the switch and it’s only going to improve with the router and distributor.

Last edited:
Hi,
Anyone using Roon ARC? Just curious.

# There are two main ideas behind Roon Arc:

A - To be able to access your music library outside your home. For instance, from your smartphone, in your car, etc.

B - Being able to listen to music offline, in a mobile context. That is, stored on a smartphone.

Roon Arc is a brilliant addition. Clearly, it's the one thing Roon was missing.

# So, in a nutshell, you can now :

- use Roon at home in a HiFi context, if I may say so.

- use Roon in a mobile context. The music being stored in your smartphone or streamed from your home Roon server.

# On a more practical side, there are now two mobile applications:

32483.jpg

Roon Remote app
:

- Serves as a Roon End Point, so you can listen to music using your smartphone, at home.

- Allows you to configure your Roon Core.

- Serves as a remote control for Roon End Points (or server like your Taiko Extreme).

Roon Arc app :

- Allows you to stream music from your Roon Server when you're away from home.

- Allows you to store music on your smartphone and listen to it offline.

I love it, and use it a lot when I work out.

Cheers,

Thomas

Last edited:
Black takes longer then Chrome, but the process is under control now, I’d say those will ship around 2 weeks later then Chrome. BTW black is not very popular with only 15 switches ordered in black so far (still 10 left).
Perhaps I missed it but will the DCD be available in black and if so, when?

Is it safe to assume the router and DCD I just ordered will not arrive before the first week of July? I ask because of travel plans.

If I want to buy the DAC cable directly from FS.com. Should I choose “Extreme” under the compatibility list?
View attachment 110711
I saw that in their on-line catalog and chuckled. The FS.com passive DAC cable I received from Taiko is labeled "Generic" or code GE. Though I have to say I am not sure what the specific differences are.

Screen Shot 2023-05-26 at 11.24.20 AM.png

Steve Z

I saw that in their on-line catalog and chuckled. The FS.com passive DAC cable I received from Taiko is labeled "Generic" or code GE. Though I have to say I am not sure what the specific differences are.

View attachment 110712

Steve Z
Perhaps the cable is "generic" it is safe to say Steve, you are not!!

Reactions: oldmustang
I tried using Wise for payment now and it did not accept the bank account number. Is there another to use for payment?

I tried using Wise for payment now and it did not accept the bank account number. Is there another to use for payment?
I found I had to get Taiko customer service involved to complete my transactions successfully.

Steve Z

Reactions: tubes59

Contact customer support for an alternative bank account.

Yes.

Steve Z
OK, I submitted the support request and it's on a 24hr. response cycle. Hope the money doesn't burn a hole in my pocket before then.

Reactions: oldmustang
Reactions: Taiko Audio

Unfortunately Wise, as convenient as it is otherwise, limits the amount of transfers to a bank account. As soon as a certain threshold is reached the account is blocked. It has something to do with reduced risk & liability. So we have to cycle accounts.

Is it safe to assume the router and DCD I just ordered will not arrive before the first week of July? I ask because of travel plans.

You can add a note to not ship in a specific window to the order and/or drop a message with instructions at support@taikoaudio.com / at the taikoaudio.com website chat / at whatsapp +31 85 301 4731

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing