Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Very thorough of an explanation Steve...

Reactions: lwr and oldmustang

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
It was awhile back and I cannot recollect the other parameters. I only remember the ones I referenced. DC offset was the main target...
dc voltage can be easily filtered out of the mains it makes the transformers of devices hum or can lead to early loss of dynamics (saturation of the transformer) at high power.
interference frequencies in the150 hz -3 khz range are difficult to deal with. standard mains filters are of little help there.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
dc voltage can be easily filtered out of the mains it makes the transformers of devices hum or can lead to early loss of dynamics (saturation of the transformer) at high power.
interference frequencies in the150 hz -3 khz range are difficult to deal with. standard mains filters are of little help there.
If it wasn't because of the insistence of the manufacturer that it was DC Off Set causing the issue I wouldn't have gone to such lengths to prove them wrong. I knew it wasn't a DC issue...

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
Totally system dependent IMHO. I also use NCF Rhodium outlets for the Gryphon Mephisto/Pandora which requires 2 power cables each and for the Horizon. For the Extreme all copper, both outlet and power cable. Copper for subwoofers. I know several knowledgeable members who hate Rhodium. Audioquest sent me 2 High Current Dragon power cables awhile back for the Mephisto, I hated all 300 hours of listening to them. Point being what ever sounds good to your ears...
Hi John,
It is hard (at least for me) to compare outlets. After changing them it takes a while for the burn-in, so no A-B-A testing. So I would appreciate to hear Emile's recomendation for (in his oppinion) best brand/model of outlet.
Cheers,
VPN

rdiiorio

Jan 29, 2013
If I listen to a jbl sound reinforcement system at a concert there is no way any system can reproduce the sound except for the same system be used as a playback. The sound of the space listened in, speakers used, amps etc all have contributions to the final sound heard. Your home system just can’t reproduce all these sounds or qualities of the pro sound reproducers that’s my opinion.

Reactions: 7ryder and geraldc

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
If it wasn't because of the insistence of the manufacturer that it was DC Off Set causing the issue I wouldn't have gone to such lengths to prove them wrong. I knew it wasn't a DC issue...

if you have problems with the mains voltage, there are two options: you complain to the energy supplier, they will then measure it, or you have to borrow something, solar or power battery pack. then you will know for sure if the problem really comes from the mains voltage. Good luck IMG-20221103-WA0006.jpg

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Hi John,
It is hard (at least for me) to compare outlets. After changing them it takes a while for the burn-in, so no A-B-A testing. So I would appreciate to hear Emile's recomendation for (in his oppinion) best brand/model of outlet.
Cheers,
VPN
It is difficult and time consuming, couldn't agree more. I have always tried to match the metallurgy between Power Cables and outlets.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

The type of DC blocker you refer puts electrolytic capacitors in series with the mains supply, increasing the mains impedance and distorting the mains - small electrolytic capacitors will not be able to supply the current peaks needed for more powerful amplifiers.

Reactions: Armsan

Di-fi

Feb 17, 2021
another question;maybe a stupid one, but it´s very late here in Sween ;)
Do the extreme switch + extreme network card alter the sound on local files (Flac,dsd, SACD an wav)
Every question has value, and I am aware of another ?????? switch that effectively enhances file quality when playing local files. It wouldn't be unexpected if the Taiko switch had a similar capability.

Last edited:

jonaiken

VIP/Donor
Jan 22, 2017
Washington, DC
It’s been awhile since I have commented on my Taiko Extreme - only because I was patiently waiting for XDMS to be available for installation and finding time to install the new NIC. Well, I can no longer be quiet - both tasks have been accomplished. Thanks to Ed he made the installation of XDMS to be a breeze without any hiccups. The instructions for the installation of the NIC and script were simple and easy to follow. The sound well…those that have XDMS, NIC and the switch already know what I am experiencing. I am totally blown away and haven’t even completed the burn-in phase. The sound is closest to a live performance I have ever experienced in my home. Digital has never approached this level and my analog system is looking over its shoulder. I have a DS Audio Grand Master cartridge being installed on Sunday and wondering if I am wasting my time and money. Thanks Taiko and great work achieving the level of performance of the Extreme and your new peripherals. Definitely worth the wait and investment.

Last edited:

dzdzdzln

Oct 14, 2017
I would like to ask if taiko switch can work in 10Gigabit? If both upstream and downstream are in sfp+ 10G mode?intel X710 in nas and pc?
?

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
The type of DC blocker you refer puts electrolytic capacitors in series with the mains supply, increasing the mains impedance and distorting the mains - small electrolytic capacitors will not be able to supply the current peaks needed for more powerful amplifiers.
Technical dats
Max inrush current: Approx 120-200 A peak depending of chosen diode type.Max continuous current: See datasheet for used capacitors (102000uf =z impedance 0.032Ohms)1000?att
Runs 3 years in this little mono amps 740watt class a/ 2ohms perfect heard nothing out of the ordinary. testing is above studying. 20210516_135144.jpg

Olivier59

Feb 22, 2023
Hi, I am rescanning my library threw XDMS, but it's already like half a day that tanning is in progress, this is normal?
Thanks to share your experience

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Hi, I am rescanning my library threw XDMS, but it's already like half a day that tanning is in progress, this is normal?
Thanks to share your experience

I see you’re on Discord, if you ask there you’d probably get a quick response and/or help. Alternatively you can contact support@taikoaudio.com .

Reactions: Armsan

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Dear Emile,

Thanks! Great information!

Regarding your question, "3) Do you use tilted up components like for example Furutech NCF Rhodium plugs or outlets, or Silver/Rhodium plated plugs / outlets from other companies?", which was not a question you made for me, but I happen to have many Furutech NCF Rhodium outlets and some power cables. What is your recommended outlet brand/model?

Cheers,
VPN

Hi @VPN ,

I don’t have any specific recommendations as this is highly dependent on personal taste, system setup and even your room. Furutech Rhodium plated plugs I do consider to be accentuating the top end but that could already be balanced out with a carpeted floor or a few curtains, or perhaps even loudspeaker off axis rolloff, however as @Kris complains about excessive brightness this might be an area to look into.

With that said I’m currently using pure copper outlets and silver plated copper power plugs which I consider to be the best compromise / closest to neutrality and/or naturalness. But I do have a relatively “neutral” (if such a thing exists) room with the walls almost fully covered with SMT type solid hardwood “diffusers”.

A vendor mentioned earlier in the thread offering these is Viborg but I didn’t have a change to test those yet. These I have tested with fairly satisfying results:
-Bocchino (silver plated copper) probably the best but rather costly
-Audioquest (silver plated copper)
-Vibex (“unplated copper”)

Further to this I do find the Oyaide 029 (brass) to be a bit coarse and slightly veiled but nonetheless reasonably natural and the Oyaide 004 is not bad though ultimately also a bit tilted up, less so then Rhodium though.

If I was using Fururech NCF plugs in my system our products would probably sound very rolled off in the top end as I would try to compensate.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
@Taiko Audio:Emile was Oldenzaal affected by the bad weather yesterday? Unreal, 90pmh winds in the summer...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing