Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Quick check in. Hearing now from a few folks running the latest Mac as server (frankly should not matter what specs or software) surpassing Aurender hi end servers - specifically aurender w20 vs mac. perhaps competing w the Extreme? It’s hearsay, but anyone w direct comparisons on this front here? I can’t imagine there is a $4k computer, regardless of software on board, that can compete w a $30k extreme but would like this to be made transparent via anyone that has compared. and perhaps nip in bud/distinguish bw performance characteristics

wbf is quite prominent but there are many active user interfaces, chat groups w a few dozen participants, clubs, utube groups, etc currently out there. with incredible audio experience and aptitude as well. heard of one set up guru for well known audio brand that prefers using his computer as his server. just curious others experience. that’s all

Last edited:
Quick check in. Hearing now from a few folks running the latest Mac as server surpassing Aurender hi end servers. perhaps competing w the Extreme? It’s hearsay, but anyone w direct comparisons on this front here? I can’t imagine there is a $4k computer that can compete w a $30k extreme but would like this to be made transparent via anyone that has compared. and perhaps nip in bud/distinguish bw performance characteristics
You are not really giving us much to go on. Is this private commentary or on some forum? Details about the Mac used, software, etc? It is not really possible to do a meaningful comparison without knowing the specifics.

I have a new Mac M2 MacBook Air with 24GB unified RAM and I can confidently say it is not even in the same sound quality universe as an Extreme.

Steve Z

(Edit) PS: I see you've edited above and added a little more info. Thanks for that. It still sounds rather anecdotal in nature.

Last edited:
I was using my computer as well until I heard the Extreme. It’s so good now and getting better with each alpha build in XDMS. It has made it difficult for me to listen to vinyl as much as I used to

We actually have some very interesting developments in that area I will share soon, probably inside the next 2 weeks, which includes an option to use a BPS variation with the Extreme which can be user installed.

2 weeks went by very quickly!

2 weeks went by very quickly!
I think Emile might still be on vacation but I agree we are all awaiting the next pearl from Emile. Im also interested on the status of the routers

I was using my computer as well until I heard the Extreme. It’s so good now and getting better with each alpha build in XDMS. It has made it difficult for me to listen to vinyl as much as I used to
I thought my fully tricked out Mac Mini -- Uptone power supply and fan controller, JS-2 power supply, stripped down system booting off an industrial single layer memory card, bridged ethernet output -- was pretty darn good. Until I heard an Innuos Zenith server in my system.

However, three and half years ago when the Extreme arrived my first reaction after about 15 seconds of disbelief was to laugh out loud and say, "You've got to be @#%& kidding me!". In honesty, for the price differential that should indeed have been the reaction, but in high-end it sometimes isn't always that dramatic up in the land of diminishing returns.

In the intervening time since that first day the Extreme experience has only gotten better with the introduction of improved OS tuning, Taiko USB card/drivers, Taiko modified TAS and now XDMS, Taiko NIC and switch. With more to come on the near horizon.

I am not one to say never, but it would be quite miraculous for a stock Mac or PC, even running some kind of proprietary operating system and server software to match the current level of performance. I can understand a "set-up guru" preferring their own laptop -- it is a known quantity and *much* easier to travel around with than an Extreme or many other top-line servers.

Steve Z

I think Emile might still be on vacation but I agree we are all awaiting the next pearl from Emile. Im also interested on the status of the routers

Back safe and sound! Will post a detailed outline on what we’ve been up to tomorrow!

You are not really giving us much to go on. Is this private commentary or on some forum? Details about the Mac used, software, etc? It is not really possible to do a meaningful comparison without knowing the specifics.

I have a new Mac M2 MacBook Air with 24GB unified RAM and I can confidently say it is not even in the same sound quality universe as an Extreme.

Steve Z

(Edit) PS: I see you've edited above and added a little more info. Thanks for that. It still sounds rather anecdotal in nature.
I've had an audio bud bring his aurender over. It took 60 seconds to conclude the aurender is not in the same universe as the extreme. If the Mac with some unknown software can match the aurender, that is a low bar given where xdms is today.

It's The Calm before The Storm(s). First Hurricane Taiko Router, then Hurricanes TACDA, TACDD and the big one, Hurricane BPS. Such a torrential deluge of posts coming, we’ll be through 1000 pages in no time. Brace yourself! ;)
I've had an audio bud bring his aurender over. It took 60 seconds to conclude the aurender is not in the same universe as the extreme. If the Mac with some unknown software can match the aurender, that is a low bar given where xdms is today.
Let’s also remember that XDMS-NSM is due to surface shortly , soon after followed by the Taiko router, the Taiko interface, BPS, and many other things in the Taiko pipeline. As cousin Eddy said in Christmas Vacation, ” it’s the gift that keeps on giving “. Thank you Taiko.

Reactions: 2ndLiner
I never said that as i posted in no particular order but I’m more interested in hearing the uptick with NSM more so than the router. If you recall Emile said NSM is the 2nd biggest uptick in SQ with BPS being number one.

Reactions: Armsan
Do you recall he said that after July 27th? I can not seem to track that.
Maybe after his holidays he will do a fresh ranking reshuffle (or better not ;-).
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...treme-the-crème-de-la-crème.27433/post-895845
cat6man said:
Thanks for the update Emile.

A while ago, you posted a rank ordering of your then consensus of the improvements including xdms, switch, router.

Could you please give us an updated view of the relative benefits of plain vanilla xdms versus the
switch,
router,
xdms-nms,
Battery power in extreme
Battery/lps/distributor vs. wall warts

(i.e. from largest gain on downward to the lowest-still-blow-your-mind feature)

Cheers
I'm struggling to rank those now, they're all pretty significant.

Industry disclosure:
http://taikoaudio.com
support@taikoaudio.com

Do you recall he said that after July 27th? I can not seem to track that.
Maybe after his holidays he will do a fresh ranking reshuffle (or better not ;-).
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/taiko-audio-sgm-extreme-the-crème-de-la-crème.27433/post-895845

I'm struggling to rank those now, they're all pretty significant.

Industry disclosure:
http://taikoaudio.com
support@taikoaudio.com

As I was previously comparing prototype PCBs with patches/modifications while meanwhile production level PCBs have started arriving it does appear a reranking is in order as the performance of some of them has been improved considerably. Unfortunately today has kept me busy catching up on my backlog but I will rerun these comparisons with the new PCBs in the next few days and make a few decent photos to share.

As I was previously comparing prototype PCBs with patches/modifications while meanwhile production level PCBs have started arriving it does appear a reranking is in order as the performance of some of them has been improved considerably. Unfortunately today has kept me busy catching up on my backlog but I will rerun these comparisons with the new PCBs in the next few days and make a few decent photos to share.

Can we get a quick status update on the router shipping targets?

Reactions: Stbo
Is there any reason why an Extreme Switch inserted between a gigabit WiFi router and EMM Labs streamer via RJ45 adaptors would show no connection from either the router side or to the streamer?

Is there any reason why an Extreme Switch inserted between a gigabit WiFi router and EMM Labs streamer via RJ45 adaptors would show no connection from either the router side or to the streamer?
The most common reason i can think of is that they try to negotiate at 100 Mbps. The Taiko Extreme Switch does not support 100 Mbps.
You need to connect to 1Gbps capable devices.

The most common reason i can think of is that they try to negotiate at 100 Mbps. The Taiko Extreme Switch does not support 100 Mbps.
You need to connect to 1Gbps capable devices.
My router is definitely above 100Mps. There are no network specs on the NS1 streamer, but it is compatible with the router. The odd thing is that neither device recognizes any type of device/connection to or from the Switch. I tried re-seating the adaptors. Hmm.

Would be nice to have an LED telling me it is working at all.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing