Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

jelt2359

Nov 17, 2020
Just wondering-

if reducing the number of devices connected has a benefit, and reducing the number of ports connected has a benefit… wouldn’t disconnecting from the main router (if I don’t listen to streaming) also have a boost in sound quality?

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
Please note ; The hindernis a concrete floor is to Wifi differs with the angle of attack of the signal and what is in the floor. Perpendicular probably shows the smallest damping of signal yet the higher the angle the more it resembles the armor of a tank...
In our new house with plenty of rebar in its floors combined with water based floor heating wifi does not travel well through floors at all, making it a bit of a chore placing the AP's.

Last edited:

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Just wondering-

if reducing the number of devices connected has a benefit, and reducing the number of ports connected has a benefit… wouldn’t disconnecting from the main router (if I don’t listen to streaming) also have a boost in sound quality?

For clarity, reducing the number of devices and ports being beneficial applies to the LAN side of the router, so inside your new "isolated" audio network. On the WAN side traffic has almost no influence, for example, heavily loading our network, running a number of 4K video streams over both Wi-Fi and wired ethernet to the point where they start stuttering maxing out our 1Gb/1Gb ISP link, does not affect SQ at all.

Christiaan Punter

Hi all, Ever since we started using Richpanel for our support, we have had a Self-Service FAQ section built into the Widget on our website. So far, it did not include many topics but for the past 2 weeks, I have been working on populating the widget.

This process is nowhere near finished but it is my aim to embed a sizable portion of all the questions and answers that I collected since I started working for Taiko. As many of you will know, the first incarnation of my efforts has been the release of the FAQ and Product Summary Documents, as initially posted here on WBF, and later hosted on the Taiko website. The online FAQ widget is the next logical, and much easier-to-use culmination of this.

For now, the FAQ- and Summary documents will remain available in the downloads section and I will keep adding to them as I go along. But I will also keep working on enriching the FAQ Widget database and as it grows, I think you will find that the Widget is not only very fast and easy to use but also a great source to find answers to your questions. I would say, have a look for yourself!

You can find the FAQ section by going to the Taiko website and tapping the text bubble icon on the bottom right.

1693816027795.png

Then, scroll down and select Product FAQ. That's it!

1693815840620.png

You can type your question or search term in the Search box at the top right away, or you can choose to select a sub-category and browse manually, or use the search box from that point on.

1693815865644.png

Last edited:

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
@Christiaan Punter When will the router manual be available? It would be nice to read through the installation instructions before the router arrives.

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
Understood, but both Mac and PC devices do all these things. Yet using one seems to delivery improved SQ? Not sure why that would be since, as has been pointed out, there's not that much traffic moving from Extreme to remote handheld device. So the handhelds should not be overly burdened with either operating systems. Further, if one remedy is "Feel free to boost transmission power and/or mount a larger antenna", how exactly does one do the former? Is that even doable to the end user like me (with the technical abilities of a plant?)

I also wonder....lately my device performance has been so sluggish that I was curious if something changed recently in the Extreme software. I haven't raised this previously because I use Roon and always assumed the recent onset of sluggishness was a Roon function but my sense is that XDMS users are experiencing this as well? My Extreme is hard wired via the switch to my ISP and ipad is in the same room as a mesh satellite which delivers 1GB service, but sometimes I have to wait 30 seconds for a program to engage after hitting play. It sounds like a buffering issue but my buffering settings have not changed in at least 2 years. Yet performance is disappointing with occasional crashes that are remedied by re-starting the Extreme. I don't know if XDMS-NSM will resolve this. I suspect that I can only grin and bear it for now. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Hi Marty,

Roon does suffer from Memory leaks.

In TaskManager you can check the RAM usage of Roon Appliance. If it is more than 1 GB, then it would be good to reboot the Extreme

Send me a WhatsApp if you want me to take a look

Best Regards

Ed

Reactions: oldmustang

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Hi Marty,

Roon does suffer from Memory leaks.

In TaskManager you can check the RAM usage of Roon Appliance. If it is more than 1 GB, then it would be good to reboot the Extreme

Send me a WhatsApp if you want me to take a look

Best Regards

Ed
Hi Edward, also as you and I discussed when I was having Roon Hiccups, Clearing the Cache also helps with certain issues...

John T

Feb 15, 2022
  • Haha
Reactions: Johan K

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Everything works perfectly if you never use Roon ;). XDMS loads quickly and plays quickly. Ive never pushed the Roon toggle button in the XDMS settings
If I'm demoing for friends or if someone sends a client my way, they want to hear Roon and XDMS. Ultimately they prefer XDMS, but in fairness Roon is quite acceptable though XDMS surpasses...

Reactions: Kris and oldmustang

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
If I'm demoing for friends or if someone sends a client my way, they want to hear Roon and XDMS. Ultimately they prefer XDMS, but in fairness Roon is quite acceptable though XDMS surpasses...
I said yesterday that the one time I did play Roon, it sounded very good but all bets were off when you return to XDMS

Reactions: Armsan

Christiaan Punter

Regarding differences between iPad and Android when controlling the Extreme Music Server... I have tested this with XDMS, and yes, there are differences between the two, as well as between a tablet that is on or off (standby/screen off).

However, these differences are really small. Much, much smaller, than any of the other differences that any of the software and hardware upgrades and improvements have brought us. For instance, it is far less than the level of the audibility of the Default/Alternative Sound Profile function. The difference can be heard, but not identified on the face of it without a careful AB test.

Moreover, I am hesitant to call either "better" as I know that the opinions on that vary. It depends on your definition of "better" (personal taste, for instance, do you like or need sharper/more direct or smoother/more relaxed sound) and it ties in with system synergy. Bottom line, I would advise not to worry about it and simply use the tablet that works best for you.

Last edited:

Christiaan Punter

@Christiaan Punter When will the router manual be available? It would be nice to read through the installation instructions before the router arrives.

The Router Manual is called "Extreme Router Guide" and it has been ready for some time:) You can find it in the Taiko Audio Downloads section, along with an ever-changing Router FAQ. When the Router is released, the Guide may receive further updates.

1693840442341.png

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Thanks. I actually looked first but clearly didn’t look closely enough!

Christiaan Punter

Thanks. I actually looked first but clearly didn’t look closely enough!
There's a lot on there and although I tried to bundle related items together and maintain a certain logic, I agree it's still not always immediately evident what's where. I'll make a mental note of it to further improve this by adding separate headers.

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
The Router Manual is called "Extreme Router Guide" and it has been ready for some time:) You can find it in the Taiko Audio Downloads section, along with an ever-changing Router FAQ. When the Router is released, the Guide may receive further updates.

View attachment 116102
One thing I noticed missing from the Extreme Router Guide (aka "the router manual") is a brief explanation of how to set the Taiko Router wifi name and importantly a wifi password for the protected Audio LAN. Something with description and illustrations similar to the what has been included for changing from DHCP, etc.

Admittedly, this is probably not difficult to do for the new user (I intend to click on all the Router operating system tabs and go exploring), but it would probably be helpful for new users who don't do this sort of thing every day or every year.

Steve Z

2ndLiner

Dec 16, 2015
One thing I noticed missing from the Extreme Router Guide (aka "the router manual") is a brief explanation of how to set the Taiko Router wifi name and importantly a wifi password for the protected Audio LAN. Something with description and illustrations similar to the what has been included for changing from DHCP, etc.

Admittedly, this is probably not difficult to do for the new user (I intend to click on all the Router operating system tabs and go exploring), but it would probably be helpful for new users who don't do this sort of thing every day or every year.

Steve Z
Thank you for suggesting this, Steve, as I am a charter member of the latter group!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing