Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

On a pragmatic approach, I think that Taiko should find out how to get the Extreme reviewed. It can help sell more Taiko Extremes.
My guess is that Taiko would want XDMS or it's successor to be finalized, or close to it, before they go up against Wadax/Roon.

Reactions: Armsan and jbrrp1
Try the adapter and then eventually buy a 2.5 Oyaide or another good quality connector, heat shrink tubing, and modify the cable. If you can solder, or know someone who can, its not very difficult.
Yes, I know someone who is an expert solder-welder.
I did buy a few adapters and they arrived today.
Amazon.com: GenHaoQi DC5.5x2.5mm Male to 5.5x2.1 Female Adapter for Universal Laptop Interface Power Cable Connector(2Pcs) : Electronics

Amazon.com: OMNIHIL Adapter Plug Converter 5.5 millimeters x 2.1 millimeters Female Plug to 5.5 millimeters x 2.5 millimeters Male Plug : Electronics
Trying to connect the RJ-45 adapters too.
Amazon.com: Finisar FCLF8522P2BTL SFP Transceiver 1000Base-T RoHS 1.25Gb/s Retail : Electronics

Hopefully will work until I get the rest of my order.
Thanks to all for your help!

Reactions: John T
I'm not sure without seeing a pic of the cable, but in general there are either 2.1 or 2.5mm male terminations on DC cables. It's relatively easy to order the correct DC cable from Ghent Audio (ghentaudio.com) if you know the correct size you need. An inexpensive alternative is to use your present cable get an adapter for barrel adapters (either 2.1 to 2.5 or 2.5 to 2.1 ) from Amazon.
I got a couple adapters from Amazon.
The SFP adapters are on the way.
Thanks!
Fred

I am using a SOtM SPS500 for my router (ASUS router). Normally this router accepts 19V. By accident I used it for some days at 9V. When I noticed my mistake I switched it back to 19V. To my suprise the sound quality took a step back. I am using the SOtM SPS500 now at 9V to power the ASUS router for a year or longer without any problems. So the advice of Emile to go with the 12V would be a good starting point.
I switched the SPS-500 to 12v and once I have everything working, I will let you know if I find a difference in SQ.
Thanks!

My guess is that Taiko would want XDMS or it's successor to be finalized, or close to it, before they go up against Wadax/Roon.
Yes I agree but, remember, they don’t use USB anymore. That’s why I believe that the TACDD with a daughter card for MSB or other DAC brand cooperating with Emile will be the ultimate SQ jump and then, unbeatable for sure.

Reactions: fizzletop
When you our the person you know strips the wire: You will see on the connector that the Neg/Pos is staggered. When the wires are stripped make 1 a little bit longer than the other. This will keep the end from bunching up and make it easier to screw the housing back on. Its very tight space and sometimes they touch when you attempt to put the housing back on. I've gone so far as to placing a small piece of electrical tape around one end so they don't touch. I have also left the PITA housing off and just used the heat shrink...

Reactions: Famester
Plus let's not forget that it is my hope as well as that of Emile that I will be hosting a long weekend open house in Q4 for a global soft launch of the new Extreme with BPS. There have been well over 50 people who have contacted me to come to the event and as a date becomes finalized, I'm betting the house will be full and everyone will be talking about the new Extreme. IMO it is a thread like this one which serves a far greater purpose than a review in one of the magazines
I am trying for a listening session in Oldenzaal for 1.5 years now and just got the message that it was not possible and had to go to a dealer. I live in the Netherlands and build my own music server with Taiko DIY components. Only chance I had to really listen to the Extreme was in Munich, but then you do not have the possibility to listen to your reference songs. And sorry to say I was not overly impressed with what I did hear in Munich, so I really wanted to listen to the Extreme in the best setup possible in Oldenzaal with my own reference songs. :confused:

I am currently using a 12v 2A linear power supply and have ordered and waiting for the extreme switch & network card.
If I order an extreme router and dc distributor later, will I need to increase the capacity of the linear power supply?

Hi @SeungHo Choi ,

2A @12v is plenty. The Router draws somewhere between 500 and 600mA depending on what's connected to it, the switch draws 100mA, so 2A is around 3 times "overkill".

Reactions: Opabin
I am using a SOtM SPS500 for my router (ASUS router). Normally this router accepts 19V. By accident I used it for some days at 9V. When I noticed my mistake I switched it back to 19V. To my suprise the sound quality took a step back. I am using the SOtM SPS500 now at 9V to power the ASUS router for a year or longer without any problems. So the advice of Emile to go with the 12V would be a good starting point.

The switch and router will actually still function down to about 8V but performance will be compromised then as that will render the first regulation stage inoperable. The first regulator stage "needs" 11.5V minimum to function optimally, higher voltages don't affect things significantly, it will be slightly less efficient but we're talking at about 0.5 watts of power "wasted" when you power them at 19V for router and switch combined. Hence this will be dominated by how efficient and or noisy your power supply is at what supply voltage.

Reactions: oldmustang
What a pathetic publication TAS has become - not even a mention of the Taiko Extreme?!

I guess all of these placements are just paid placement from the manufacturers… really really lame.

Afaik TAS advertising is entirely voluntary. But we did not submit an Extreme to TAS for review, hence we're not on that list.

and finally.... IMO a review in one of the magazines won't even come close to getting the word out as this thread does. Emile, Christiaan Ed and others from the team are on this thread every day. I just can't see how any reviewer will trump a thread such as this one with respect to information disseminated by Taiko and shared by all users and readers

Nowadays it does indeed appear people value actual "real" customer feedback / experiences over magazine reviews.

Plus let's not forget that it is my hope as well as that of Emile that I will be hosting a long weekend open house in Q4 for a global soft launch of the new Extreme with BPS. There have been well over 50 people who have contacted me to come to the event and as a date becomes finalized, I'm betting the house will be full and everyone will be talking about the new Extreme. IMO it is a thread like this one which serves a far greater purpose than a review in one of the magazines

Indeed, we are working day and night to get all the upgrades / new technology finalised. We now even have additional engineers working here in Oldenzaal to assist me on site, performing "real-time" component swapping and partial circuitry re-engineering, while the crew works on getting the routers out the door. I'm having the time of my life here on this road of rapid new discoveries!

I am trying for a listening session in Oldenzaal for 1.5 years now and just got the message that it was not possible and had to go to a dealer. I live in the Netherlands and build my own music server with Taiko DIY components. Only chance I had to really listen to the Extreme was in Munich, but then you do not have the possibility to listen to your reference songs. And sorry to say I was not overly impressed with what I did hear in Munich, so I really wanted to listen to the Extreme in the best setup possible in Oldenzaal with my own reference songs. :confused:

Unfortunately we're currently not able to provide demos as our listening room has turned into a "mad scientist lab", we'd need to spend half a day disassembling, half(?) a day demoing and half a day reassembling while the engineering team would be turning tumbs. To compensate we have appointed a dealer to facilitate demonstrations for potential dutch customers and is even willing to perform those at your home, something we don't do ourselves. This dealer will also demo the Extreme at the upcoming Dutch Audio Event show which we will need to skip this year aswell due to the same time constraints.

Indeed, we are working day and night to get all the upgrades / new technology finalised. We now even have additional engineers working here in Oldenzaal to assist me on site, performing "real-time" component swapping and partial circuitry re-engineering, while the crew works on getting the routers out the door. I'm having the time of my life here on this road of rapid new discoveries!

This is what I value the most.
If someone is investing all the time and effort into new discoveries there is no chance to fail in any way. This will speed up the company grow very significantly.
I cant wait for this discoveries to be implemented into our extremes and to the new products.
Fortunatelly there is no need to keep searching outside of „Taiko World” nowdays as They search for new things constantly.

I have my listening dedicated room in the „ mad scientist lab” fasion for a year now
And I really wanted someone like Emile and his Team to replace me in doing that .
They will do it much better and quicker.

I am going to have time of my life by just purchesing new Taiko products and having fun using them.

Dear Emile, what is the current shipping date estimate for black routers/DC distributors?
the natives are getting restless. Updates on the chrome version router would also be much appreciated. I've just changed my name to Aaron A. Aaronovich. Im thinking that should get me up a few slots in the queue :cool:

the natives are getting restless. Updates on the chrome version router would also be much appreciated. I've just changed my name to Aaron A. Aaronovich. Im thinking that should get me up a few slots in the queue :cool:

You’re not alone, there’s been a significant uptick in the webshop personal details edits recently!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing