Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

DW101

Feb 20, 2022
I am in agreement with @austinpop here. If there is a business reason, or a technical build reason, why scrubbing should come before gapless, I understand the current prioritization. However, based on my understanding of user behavior (and of course my personal preference based on how I listen to music), I would put gapless much higher than scrubbing. In my case, I listen to a lot of live concerts and gaps between tracks is a buzz kill. For those using pggb (not me), which breaks a single large music file into 2gb segments, this must be intolerable since it adds gaps inside of tracks, not just between separate tracks.

I suspect this comes down to local versus streaming, and if streaming is a much higher priority than playing local files, then scrubbing provides a benefit for all streaming users (and maybe they are the majority?).

If there is no compelling business or technical sequencing issue, please consider moving gapless up to the highest priority after NSM.

YMMV
FWIW I'd agree with gapless being higher priority than scrubbing. I'm a PGGB -er who is waiting to see if it will end up being really worth it once NSM, Router, BPS, TACDD are out, and as non PGGB already sounds so good..

Last edited:

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
FWIW I'd agree with gapless being higher priority than scrubbing. I'm a PGGB -er who is waiting to see if it will end up being really worth it once NSM, Router, BPS, TACDD are out, and as non PGGB already sounds so good..
We know gapless is a must have, and scrubbing is just a nicety.

However in the bigger scheme of things we need scrubbing in order to get to Beta, so it has to be the top priority

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
I'm about ready to take the plunge (again) and have a question. My router has only one WAN port which is used to connect to the cable modem. Does the Taiko router use a LAN port on my existing router to connect to its WAN port?
Yes.

Steve Z

Reactions: MusicTraveler

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018
Reactions: oldmustang

DW101

Feb 20, 2022

However in the bigger scheme of things we need scrubbing in order to get to Beta, so it has to be the top priority

Didn't realize this - makes total sense, get scrubbing!

fast.freight

Jul 30, 2022
Hello, Sitting on the sidelines here waiting for internal DAC w Extreme, maybe BPS, probably switch and maybe router. Can anyone clarify some terms for me? Gapless, Scrubbing, PGGP and NSM? IRDAI ! :) Ken

Reactions: John T

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019

So great to hear Ed. And thank you to you and your team for all the blood, sweat, tears, late night coding, etc. and hopefully some stress relief on this breakthrough project. And maintaining such transparency, kindness and communication throughout. A massive endeavor that appears to be reaching a monumental milestone in the near future. We are very fortunate.

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Hello, Sitting on the sidelines here waiting for internal DAC w Extreme, maybe BPS, probably switch and maybe router. Can anyone clarify some terms for me? Gapless, Scrubbing, PGGP and NSM? IRDAI ! :) Ken
Gapless refers to XDMS playback, specifically the ability to play from one track to the next track without inserting extra silence between tracks. For albums recorded with one track seamlessly seguing into the next, gapless playback is necessary to play the album as the artist(s) intended.

Scrubbing is the ability to zoom forward or back through a track by moving the track's progress indicator on the player software's play bar. A required functionality by major streaming services for certification of playback software.

PGGB is a software program that does non-real time upsampling of digital music files. Because files are upsampled, typically from 1fs (16/44.1) to as much as 16fs (24 or 32 bit/705.6 or 768) the resulting upsampled files are much, much larger than the original files. People using PGGB to upsample their library end up with a fair percentage of files that currently won't play all the way through with Taiko's XDMS playback software because the files are larger than the current 1.5GB file size limitation.

NSM or XDMS-NSM is the name being used to refer to the as-yet unreleased major back-end rework of Taiko's XDMS playback software. What NSM is an abbreviation for has not offically been stated.

Hope this helps,

Steve Z

Christiaan Punter

Didn't realize this - makes total sense, get scrubbing!
It's worth revisiting the downloads section now and then as I keep adding to the Guides, Manuals, and Summary Documents with new or updated info. For instance, the latest Router docs now have clear Diagrams showing the connections (based on a diagram made by SwissTom!).

joet

Dec 17, 2020
Northport, NY
The great news is I just received notice that my router has shipped! The bad news is that you have sent it to the wrong address. I've moved and left the correct address in the order notes.

• Wow
Reactions: micky22 and RyanTX

joet

Dec 17, 2020
Northport, NY
Please let me know what i can do to help. This said, I'm truly impressed with everything Taiko is doing and creating. This amount of innovation and creativity in such as compressed time frame is unprecedented.

Christiaan Punter

The great news is I just received notice that my router has shipped! The bad news is that you have sent it to the wrong address. I've moved and left the correct address in the order notes.
Please let me know what i can do to help. This said, I'm truly impressed with everything Taiko is doing and creating. This amount of innovation and creativity in such as compressed time frame is unprecedented.
Hi Joseph, this is being taken care of as we speak. Don't worry, we will make it right.

joet

Dec 17, 2020
Northport, NY
I just got a note that you noticed the glitch and are fixing it. Thank you. Sorry for posting the issue, but wanted to exhaust all avenues of communication due to the urgency.

joet

Dec 17, 2020
Northport, NY
Thank you very much. I have/had no doubt you'd make it right. my urgency was an attempt to let you know immediately in case the address could be changed to save you any related post shipment costs and delays.

Reactions: oldmustang

fast.freight

Jul 30, 2022
Thank you @oldmustang ! Great descriptions. I was correct on Gapless, understand Scrubbing but did not know the name, and had no ideas on the other two acronyms. How many here use PGGB? I assume this is good / not good depending on how each DAC works? I know there are differences between DACS and streamers on upsampling. I currently have a Grimm MU1.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Having my morning coffee and am reading a DHL notice that my Router is en route. Thank you Taiko Audio. Next week the journey continues. So happy to be a part of this wonderful experience. The goal posts keep changing. Very much looking forward to the next step in the Taiko chain of ever better sound quality

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
My DHL shipping notice was waiting for me in my in-box this morning as well. Thank you team Taiko.

Steve Z

theaudiogeek

Apr 4, 2018
Not sure if this has been answered before? Any concerns if the router and the switch are stacked (assuming the finish is protected)?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing