Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

for sure. Noting in the DC distributor is broken in so a fair comparison will take time.
You had the urge. I must admit that I do to and was going to do that experiment today however my sound still seems to be changing so I’m waiting until Monday.

Having said that, Emile did say alt2 is preferred by Roon-ies so I suppose it’s possible that you did have a glimpse and we will find you prefer alt2. It’s all good

You had the urge. I must admit that I do to and was going to do that experiment today however my sound still seems to be changing so I’m waiting until Monday.

Having said that, Emile did say alt2 is preferred by Roon-ies so I suppose it’s possible that you did have a glimpse and we will find you prefer alt2. It’s all good

Can anyone describe what qualities roon-ies would prefer?

Can anyone describe what qualities roon-ies would prefer?

If you preferred Roon over XDMS before the router/dcd you will most likely have a preference for the “alt2” filter, if you preferred XDMS chances are good you’ll prefer “alt1”.

I heard on the internet that Roon-ies have a personality disorder:)

Are there any third party DAC cables that you can buy? I remember it being mentioned in the thread but can't find it.

If I remember Emile's original DC distributor thread properly, the impetus for the different inputs was to compensate for the different sound signatures of LPS's. This coupled with personal preferences will make it very difficult to draw any broad conclusions, especially with new components.

Reactions: Steve Williams
I heard on the internet that Roon-ies have a personality disorder:)
Bob, everyone knows that. "Audio Psychosis" : it manifests itself in the frontal cortex. But the good news is, a Full Frontal Lobotomy fixes everything. But it is imperative that the surgeon performing the procedure knows its a Audio Full Frontal!

Last edited:
Bob, everyone knows that. "Audio Psychosis" : it manifests itself in the frontal cortex. But the good news is, a Full Frontal Lobotomy fixes everything. But it is imperative that the surgeon performing the procedure knows its a Audio Full Frontal!
The only criteria I have for the surgeon is very simple...
Can the dr. define for me what bps stands for.
If I hear Bass Pro Shop, I'm concerned...

It would be preferable to not open up the switch/router/dcd, that can damage the heat conductive pads between the circuitboards and the chassis which also act as heatsinks. We took some photos of the PCBs for those who are curious of what’s inside:

Switch:

44bd4356-ebd2-4ef2-a262-2c5b830fb90c.jpeg
65c54ea6-5938-402a-8d7c-1d9681ebac76.jpeg
DC Distributor:

a32f4443-bf20-4de1-a0f8-a310e2cfc3e7.jpeg
02dba906-7759-4a26-810b-930a06f4fc93.jpeg
Router:

06182e02-0c44-48d4-9448-1d98d92fb07e.jpeg
0a0172ed-ab58-40e1-9418-40c3155ca1af.jpeg

I've experimented with a setup that seems to work for me, is quite convenient, and which I don't believe degradates the sound quality (please let me know if that's not true). I use my iPad for general music control (wireless to TaikoRouter), but have relied on my desktop previously for VPN and other access modes to the Extreme via my home network. Since that access is cut-off now, I've set up my laptop (PC) with a wired connection to my home network and simultaneously a wireless connection to TaikoRouter. I can then use the laptop directly to access both, but prefer to work from my main PC. So I connect to my laptop via TeamViewer, so I can access both networks "remotely" via TV. Seems to work fine. And I don't normally leave the laptop on, so these connections are not active during listening sessions.
All of this doesn't get around having to set up a USB drive on the router for backups and file uploads, for example, but still I thought it might be useful info for others.

I've experimented with a setup that seems to work for me, is quite convenient, and which I don't believe degradates the sound quality (please let me know if that's not true). I use my iPad for general music control (wireless to TaikoRouter), but have relied on my desktop previously for VPN and other access modes to the Extreme via my home network. Since that access is cut-off now, I've set up my laptop (PC) with a wired connection to my home network and simultaneously a wireless connection to TaikoRouter. I can then use the laptop directly to access both, but prefer to work from my main PC. So I connect to my laptop via TeamViewer, so I can access both networks "remotely" via TV. Seems to work fine. And I don't normally leave the laptop on, so these connections are not active during listening sessions.
All of this doesn't get around having to set up a USB drive on the router for backups and file uploads, for example, but still I thought it might be useful info for others.
I pretty much do the same thing, except that I unplug the wan cable from the taiko router to make sure I don’t accidentally route my internet traffic for my laptop through the taiko router.

BTW my laptop is a mac and I can set the priority of each network service ('set service order'), so I've set the Taiko Router (WIFI) to be last in order as well so it will always try LAN first.

Last edited:
For everyone waiting for delivery.
Both DC distributor and Router improved significantly After only 2 days.
It looks this maches (so far) exactly what Emile mentioned with biggest progress over first 5 days.

Well here’s what I’ve found after 5 days of router and DCD. I don’t know if its my imagination or bias but to my ears Roon and XDMS are sounding similar and many tracks I played yesterday sounded better with XDMS. I did this yesterday with my wife controlling the iPad and going back and forth from Roon to XDMS Perhaps I’m just anxious to get NSM but yesterday using default Roon and XDMS were pretty close. Tomorrow I switch to alt1

Reactions: ctydwn and cat6man
Well here’s what I’ve found after 5 days of router and DCD. I don’t know if its my imagination or bias but to my ears Roon and XDMS are sounding similar and many tracks I played yesterday sounded better with XDMS. I did this yesterday with my wife controlling the iPad and going back and forth from Roon to XDMS Perhaps I’m just anxious to get NSM but yesterday using default Roon and XDMS were pretty close. Tomorrow I switch to alt1
So with your Wife switching between Roon/XDMS could you distinguish without her telling you which was which 100% of the time? That without a doubt is the best and most accurate way to A/B anything. Blindly without knowing, then you make the call...

So with your Wife switching between Roon/XDMS could you distinguish without her telling you which was which 100% of the time? That without a doubt is the best and most accurate way to A/B anything. Blindly without knowing, then you make the call...
Indeed she did and all but one was correct. The other variable that was in play for the past 2 days was switching out the rectifier on my Horizon from the TFKN RGN2004 to the Valvo G2504. I wonder if this could have been a factor as well

Reactions: John T
Indeed she did and all but one was correct. The other variable that was in play for the past 2 days was switching out the rectifier on my Horizon from the TFKN RGN2004 to the Valvo G2504. I wonder if this could have been a factor as well
That's a great way to reimburse or fine tune what you think you are hearing. I have often thought how much fun it would be to magically "parachute" into members systems and listen together...I would imagine the RGN2004 a little more denser?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing