Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

agree, please keep gapless as number 1.

i think i will experiment myself with the port forwarding.
is there a "save config" option in the router so i can recover if i screw something up?

There’s a reset to factory defaults which returns it to how it was when you received it.

This is configured by default. You should be able to control Roon from your home network.

I just experienced one issue with controlling Roon with the home Wi-Fi. You can’t get to Qobuz (or Tidal, I assume).

no I’m happy with that. :cool:

Since many users with the router seem to be returning to Roon, I just wanted you to confirm that the XDMS project as a whole will remain a high priority, because for the rest of us, XDMS is still head and shoulders better than Roon.
Plus NSM looms large on the Horizon ( no pun intended);)

There’s a reset to factory defaults which returns it to how it was when you received it.

good.

one more question-what ports do i need to set up.
i am guessing 80 as well as 5800 or 5900 for vnc?

update: answer my own question. 5900 and 4 other ports are shown as open in fing.
port 80 is not one of them.

good.

one more question-what ports do i need to set up.
i am guessing 80 as well as 5800 or 5900 for vnc?

update: answer my own question. 5900 and 4 other ports are shown as open in fing.
port 80 is not one of them.

Open ports on the extreme or the router?

I am seeing 135, 139, 445 and 5900 on the Extreme.

Do you notice a difference in sound?
I actually haven't tried that comparison yet. I only tried controlling Roon from my laptop in another room on my non-Taiko audio network, and it worked just fine.

Later this afternoon or evening I'll give that a try. And actually listen to it when I do!

Last night I decided that with about 125 hours of burn-in with my load resistors in the DCD Default, Alternate 1 and Alternate 2 power outlets it was time to shift the Taiko router and switch from the DCD Unfiltered power outlets to some other combination(s). I initially planned on doing this over several days to allow myself to get used to the different sonic presentations as well as doing some shifting back and forth between Roon and XDMS.

It turns out I needn't have been so conservative -- the Taiko DCD filters are distinctive enough that it was quick work to run through the various combinations and decide on my preferences for both Roon and XDMS:

Roon: DCD Alternate 1 > Taiko router, DCD Default > Taiko switch

XDMS: DCD Alternate 2 > Taiko router, DCD Default > Taiko switch

The above to my ears gives me the best combination of top end sparkle and overall tonal saturation and richness with most music.

Using Alternate 1 to power the Taiko router for XDMS is just a little too incisive and slightly forward, while Alternate 2 powering the router for Roon loses that top end articulation and overall is a touch too dark for my taste.

Alternate 1 to the router for Roon is quite good in terms of balance between body and sparkle, although I will say that Alternate 2 to the router for Roon is nice to have for recordings that might be a little hot and forward.

Default > router, Default > switch seems a little threadbare and thin with Roon, and very thin when XDMS is used. Likewise, Alternate 1 > router, Default > switch with XDMS sounds thinner and less tonally saturated than my preferred Alternate 2 > router.

I quickly ran through the various filter combinations, keeping Default > router and various filters > switch, and while some of them were pleasant they all pale in comparison to my preferred selections. Additionally, the magnitude of filter effect seems diminished with Alternate 1 or 2 on the Taiko switch, perhaps because of the lower current draw of the switch.

Finally, I found my overall preference for listening in terms of overall sound quality, has shifted back to XDMS with Alternate 2 powering the router. Roon, with Alternate 1 powering the router is not far behind and is still quite a bit better than I ever remember hearing it. Roon is very pleasurable to listen with and if I wish to play music that benefits from gapless playback or has a file size greater than 1.5 GB, or just want to kick back and let Roon Radio do its thing, it more than fills the bill.

(Edited to add): I also need to emphasize that the above comparative rankings are all still better than not having the Taiko router in use, regardless of DCD filter selection.

The Taiko router in combination with the DC power distributor is undeniably expensive and questions of value for dollar, Euro or pound sterling are very much a personal decision. However, hearing what the router and power distributor do for music I am unwilling to go back.

Kudos Emile and Taiko Audio!

IMG_2547.PNG

IMG_2549.PNG

Steve Z

Last edited:
Open ports on the extreme or the router?

I am seeing 135, 139, 445 and 5900 on the Extreme.

Router

the 5th one on the router is 8081 [icecap user console]

time to experiment :)

Last edited:
I quickly ran through the various filter combinations, keeping Default > router and various filters > switch, and while some of them were pleasant they all pale in comparison to my preferred selections. Additionally, the magnitude of filter effect seems diminished with Alternate 1 or 2 on the Taiko switch, perhaps because of the lower current draw of the switch.

That's really interesting- I've been waiting for feedback on this- the effect of the DCD filters on my switch has been much larger than on my router! (ie the opposite)

Reactions: Taiko Audio
I actually haven't tried that comparison yet. I only tried controlling Roon from my laptop in another room on my non-Taiko audio network, and it worked just fine.

Later this afternoon or evening I'll give that a try. And actually listen to it when I do!

Last night I decided that with about 125 hours of burn-in with my load resistors in the DCD Default, Alternate 1 and Alternate 2 power outlets it was time to shift the Taiko router and switch from the DCD Unfiltered power outlets to some other combination(s). I initially planned on doing this over several days to allow myself to get used to the different sonic presentations as well as doing some shifting back and forth between Roon and XDMS.

It turns out I needn't have been so conservative -- the Taiko DCD filters are distinctive enough that it was quick work to run through the various combinations and decide on my preferences for both Roon and XDMS:

Roon: DCD Alternate 1 > Taiko router, DCD Default > Taiko switch

XDMS: DCD Alternate 2 > Taiko router, DCD Default > Taiko switch

The above to my ears gives me the best combination of top end sparkle and overall tonal saturation and richness with most music.

Using Alternate 1 to power the Taiko router for XDMS is just a little too incisive and slightly forward, while Alternate 2 powering the router for Roon loses that top end articulation and overall is a touch too dark for my taste.

Alternate 1 to the router for Roon is quite good in terms of balance between body and sparkle, although I will say that Alternate 2 to the router for Roon is nice to have for recordings that might be a little hot and forward.

Default > router, Default > switch seems a little threadbare and thin with Roon, and very thin when XDMS is used. Likewise, Alternate 1 > router, Default > switch with XDMS sounds thinner and less tonally saturated than my preferred Alternate 2 > router.

Finally, I found my overall preference for listening in terms of overall sound quality, has shifted back to XDMS with Alternate 2 powering the router. Roon, with Alternate 1 powering the router is not far behind and is still quite a bit better than I ever remember hearing it. Roon is very pleasurable to listen with and if I wish to play music that benefits from gapless playback or has a file size greater than 1.5 GB, or just want to kick back and let Roon Radio do its thing, it more than fills the bill.

(Edited to add): I also need to emphasize that the above comparative rankings are all still better than not having the Taiko router in use, regardless of DCD filter selection.

The Taiko router in combination with the DC power distributor is undeniably expensive and questions of value for dollar, Euro or pound sterling are very much a personal decision. However, hearing what the router and power distributor do for music I am unwilling to go back.

Kudos Emile and Taiko Audio!

View attachment 118338

View attachment 118339

Steve Z
I find very interesting everyone's favorite. IMO there is no correct answer but as everyone stated it is a function of room, components and personal preference. What I found interesting is that Emile and Christiaan commented that if you prefer Roon, you would likely prefer alt2 filter and if you like XDMS you would likely prefer alt1. I spent 5-6 days on default/default and actually liked it. I was looking forward to using alt1 as I am completely on board with XDMS and have used Roon only 2-3 times since XDMS has been under development and have loved being a part of the alpha testers....so when alt1 was my next choice I was anxious to proclaim that this was the filter for me. Such was not the case as I just could not pony up to the sound of alt1 on either XDMS or Roon. It was just too thin, too transparent and did not instill the feeling of presence or emotional involvement that I felt with alt2 on XDMS as well as Roon BUT at the end of the day my tastes continued to gravitate back to XDMS with alt2 on router and default on switch. Prior to making the changes and listening to each filter on either the router or switch, I have no idea why, but intuitively I felt that alt2 on the switch would be better than alt2 on the router . Such was not the case. So at the end of the day alt2 on the router is my go to filter which makes me wonder why the comments that if you like Roon you will like Alt2. Well I prefer XDMS and alt2. So as the saying goes......YMMV. but there is no right or wrong

That's really interesting- I've been waiting for feedback on this- the effect of the DCD filters on my switch has been much larger than on my router! (ie the opposite)
Use what sounds best to you. It's all good. There's no correct answer. Based on. everything I read prior to receiving the router and DCD everything suggested that I would prefer alt1 but I just couldn't listen to it for long. In fact I preferred default/default to alt1

is anyone using the router as their main/home router, so that there are not two subnets?

This is configured by default. You should be able to control Roon from your home network.

This is interesting. I believe that it is not possible to pass RAAT from Extreme through the Taiko router to other Roon devices that are on the home network, is that right? If that is the case, all those other devices will have to be connected to the Taiko Music network in order to receive Roon data which defeats the point of having an isolated, clean network to some extent?

I was very happy and a little surprised by the sound after adding the switch and network card, but I have a large number of devices all round the house which run on Roon and that is the main stumbling block for me with the Router.

I was very happy and a little surprised by the sound after adding the switch and network card, but I have a large number of devices all round the house which run on Roon and that is the main stumbling block for me with the Router.
A very legitimate issue for me also Malcng. I have my reference system, that I would be happy to play whatever sounds best. Then my very good second system in the family room, and Roon endpoint speakers in my bedroom and master bath. All run on Roon. So optimized roon which sounds amazing would be my first goal, knowing that roon does degrade if you add in additional endpoints. Right now, a separate feed from my Verizon router feeds my M12 switch which only feeds my two main audio zones. Wifi is disabled on the Verizon Router, and another feed goes to my Eero mesh wifi. Roon does get from my Grimm MU1 'back' to the switch then to the modem then to the wifi to the wifi endpoints, so in actuality I am not sure how isolated my audio feeds actually are???

I am waiting for the Extreme + DAC and probably the switch right in front of the Extreme and ? BPS. Then I have the option on the new software XDMS or Roon. But even though I know roon will probably not sound as good, I am hoping it does!!!

The modem makes my head explode. I do understand it, especially in the context of one system. But in my system I am not sure about if or how to consider implementing it. I am keeping up and reading everything so as not to get behind, but this class is very advanced, especially not having the Extreme yet. Thoughts and advice appreciated! Ken

I haven't dropped Taiko wifi now in well over a week . In fact I have been able to use Taiko wifi in my back yard just outside the kitchen. The last time I restarted my router was when I went to alt2 filter
no good deed goes unpunished....Here I was pumping my chest that Taiko wifi has been stable in my system for over a week. I went to listen to music just now and found I could not access XDMS sever until I realized that Taiko wifi had dropped off and needed a router restart. o_O

no good deed goes unpunished....Here I was pumping my chest that Taiko wifi has been stable in my system for over a week. I went to listen to music just now and found I could not access XDMS sever until I realized that Taiko wifi had dropped off and needed a router restart. o_O

Is your wifi at 2.4 GHz or 5? I am trying it at 5 to see if that results in a more stable setup.

A very legitimate issue for me also Malcng. I have my reference system, that I would be happy to play whatever sounds best. Then my very good second system in the family room, and Roon endpoint speakers in my bedroom and master bath. All run on Roon. So optimized roon which sounds amazing would be my first goal, knowing that roon does degrade if you add in additional endpoints. Right now, a separate feed from my Verizon router feeds my M12 switch which only feeds my two main audio zones. Wifi is disabled on the Verizon Router, and another feed goes to my Eero mesh wifi. Roon does get from my Grimm MU1 'back' to the switch then to the modem then to the wifi to the wifi endpoints, so in actuality I am not sure how isolated my audio feeds actually are???

I am waiting for the Extreme + DAC and probably the switch right in front of the Extreme and ? BPS. Then I have the option on the new software XDMS or Roon. But even though I know roon will probably not sound as good, I am hoping it does!!!

The modem makes my head explode. I do understand it, especially in the context of one system. But in my system I am not sure about if or how to consider implementing it. I am keeping up and reading everything so as not to get behind, but this class is very advanced, especially not having the Extreme yet. Thoughts and advice appreciated! Ken
Why not pick up a less expensive (than an Extreme) device to mirror your Roon core on for the rest of the devices in the house? Since presumably you won't be listening to your reference system while also listening to your other Roon endpoints you can simply switch cores from reference core (Extreme) to mirror core and thus enjoy Roon without having to buy another license.

Or -- a bit more clicking but zero additional expense -- enable the satellite Roon endpoint when you wish to listen to that endpoint and disable it again when you are through.

Steve Z

Why not pick up a less expensive (than an Extreme) device to mirror your Roon core on for the rest of the devices in the house? Since presumably you won't be listening to your reference system while also listening to your other Roon endpoints you can simply switch cores from reference core (Extreme) to mirror core and thus enjoy Roon without having to buy another license.

Or -- a bit more clicking but zero additional expense -- enable the satellite Roon endpoint when you wish to listen to that endpoint and disable it again when you are through.

Steve Z
Steve, I love reading your posts as you are so knowledgeable about fixing networking issues, as well as great suggestions to help things perform better

Steve Z
I'm planning to keep my Roon Nucleus + up and running to handle all the other Non- Extreme Roon devices throughout the house. I'll need to switch cores between it and the Extreme and won't be able to play everything all at once (though that would be pretty fun to do) but I'm looking forward to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldmustang
Hi Steve Z, Ken here, thanks for reply

I currently have the Grimm MU1 and it does fine as Roon Core. while I have had the XACT S1 Streamer in on demo, it was upstairs in system 2 as Roon core. S1 runs only JPLAY and sounds amazing. But can Roon sound this good? that is what I would like.
Regardless, I do not understand Mirror Core. I presume this could be the Grimm MU1?
So I guess the point here is that if Extreme is running XDMS downstairs I would have no roon endpoints elsewhere, correct?

I always disable roon endpoints when not in use or for critical listening. Roon sounds best when only one endpoint running. Multiple endpoints are more a lifestyle or party thing, maybe a soak in the tub, not for critical listening in my reference system or even my #2 system.

I still don't know for sure where the router does or does not fit in my system. My M12 switch is upstairs in office, away from all audio, sending audio to my two wired systems. This M12 switch is quite good, is powered with SJ AR6, and I need a switch there. I am thinking Taiko switch downstairs in front of Extreme (with DAC :)). I have an JCAT Optimo 3 I could power the switch, or BPS, etc.

Thanks, Ken

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing