Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
XDMS? It will be best if Ed can provide the necessary port numbers.

I took a quick look for @dminches yesterday and found out that different parts of XDMS use different ports.
The XDMS/Roon control switch uses port 13000. The initial XDMS connection uses port 9093 but then it would also use 9092, 9091, 8081, 80, etc. It's also using Websocket over port 80. I spent a few minutes trying to figure this out and got most of the XDMS functionality working but browsing Qobuz did not work. @dminches prefered Roon anyway, so I did not bother doing anything more than that.

Thanks. I don't use roon but qobuz is important chez moi.

@ed--can you provide the port(s) needed for control app - xdms communication? I'm assuming it is just a single port and all the other ports needed by xdms are independent of the control app?

Last edited:

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
Did a blind test with my wife as an listening Authority.
Adding DCD to the modem was for her ears a night and day difference
and a very big step up in the SQ.
Looks like she confirmed my earlier findings.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Well, then those who do not decide to take the step to BPS can buy a second DCD for the ISP Modem-Router

Reactions: DW101

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Hey Steve - how was the final result of these Load Plugs for DCD the ports? Would you share your source list for the components?
Hi MT,

I'm not sure I can offer a final result assessment of the load plugs, since I don't have any DCD filter sections I didn't plug the resistors into. In retrospect I could have left one of the Default filters unloaded -- since I powered the Taiko router and switch from the Unfiltered ports -- but I didn't think to do so. I was more interested in burning in all filtered power ports equally before trying comparisons.

Amazon.com had all the parts needed.

Hope this helps.

Steve Z

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
XDMS? It will be best if Ed can provide the necessary port numbers.

I took a quick look for @dminches yesterday and found out that different parts of XDMS use different ports.
The XDMS/Roon control switch uses port 13000. The initial XDMS connection uses port 9093 but then it would also use 9092, 9091, 8081, 80, etc. It's also using Websocket over port 80. I spent a few minutes trying to figure this out and got most of the XDMS functionality working but browsing Qobuz did not work. @dminches prefered Roon anyway, so I did not bother doing anything more than that.
I have posted the Port numbers used by XDMS and its components in the Discord Router thread

Christiaan Punter

If I understand correctly, if one purchases the BPS, it will always be used to power the Taiko Extreme. Regarding the Router and/or Switch, if the sound of: (a) using the DCD and filters is better than (b) the sound of powering the Router and/or Switch with the BPS, one is not forced to use the BPS and can continue using the DCD and filters for the Router and/or Switch, while powering the Extreme with the BPS.
That was my thought as well but I remember reading yesterday that with the BPS, the DCD might become unnecessary
Technically, you can still use the DCD in combination with the BPS. But Emile has been very vocal about this being of no use since there is no more noise to filter, and the combination most likely even being detrimental to the SQ.

Reactions: kyoya78

Christiaan Punter

RUIN*ish

VIP/Donor
Nov 28, 2021
NSM is a software solution that integrates into XDMS. The Router is a piece of hardware. They are two very different entities.
So the router was designed in strick form.
The router will never take over any function of the Extreme (in any way) to reduce cpu load... ok..

Christiaan Punter

So the router was designed in strick form.
The router will never take over any function of the Extreme (in any way) to reduce cpu load... ok..
The Router's functionality is not set in stone. However, NSM is a dedicated function for XDMS, which needs to reside on the same machine where the server/player is. It is not meant to be running on the Router.

Last edited:

Christiaan Punter

My personal guess why this is the case: I think Roon is set up to keep pinging the roon servers to authenticate the account, and when it can't it will keep retrying- ie, chatty.
Your assumption is correct, although it is not necessarily only authenticating but rather continuous broadcasting to support the Roon RAAT protocol (more specifically allowing easy connection to all kinds of endpoints).

While Roon is most affected, the same mechanism applies to XDMS because of generic network conditions, albeit to a much lesser degree.

Reactions: Nils and oldmustang

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
@Christiaan Punter assuming a user wanted to retain the ability to control the Extreme with a tablet, do you guys envision a configuration model where a user could select "non-streaming" from XDMS which could "disable" any processes/protocols required for streaming, or having the server being available to stream (heartbeat ping or whatever systems need to keep ports open, etc. for streaming availability)?

And for the sake of the discussion, would such an on/off capability result in better SQ? Thank you for your continued illumination of the various products in the Taiko ecosystem.

jelt2359

Nov 17, 2020
@Christiaan Punter assuming a user wanted to retain the ability to control the Extreme with a tablet, do you guys envision a configuration model where a user could select "non-streaming" from XDMS which could "disable" any processes/protocols required for streaming, or having the server being available to stream (heartbeat ping or whatever systems need to keep ports open, etc. for streaming availability)?

And for the sake of the discussion, would such an on/off capability result in better SQ? Thank you for your continued illumination of the various products in the Taiko ecosystem.
This is me (except I connect via laptop wifi, not tablet). I've even removed the Internet cable from the router because I noticed I could surf the internet through it when connected with my Laptop and wanted to remove that accidental occurance from happening.

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...and BTW I recognize Taiko guys have noted having the new devices connected to the network is a net-plus with new noise filtering ability, even for local playback (though a lot if it is AC right?).

I am asking/wondering if there is a way to reduce non-essential comm links in a non-streaming model. Maybe we are already as quiet as can be with switch, router and battery. And that's groovy too.

Personally, I have two systems and could happily forego any streaming via the Extreme workflow if there is an advantage sonically. Enquiring minds want to know!

Reactions: QuantumWave

Christiaan Punter

How to change Channels on the Taiko Audio Extreme Router

(also to be added to the Router Manual later)

Go to Network - Wireless

Extreme_Router_Web_Interface_Change_Channel_IMG-3242_crop_red_square.png

Tap "Edit" under Wireless Overview, second row

Extreme_Router_Web_Interface_Change_Channel_IMG-3243_crop_red_square.png

In the screen that pops up next, tap ‘Channel’

Extreme_Router_Web_Interface_Change_Channel_IMG-3244_crop_red_square.png

This produces a popup list

Choose your desired channel, scroll down to the bottom and tap Save

Last edited:

Christiaan Punter

That's a good question. This is currently not on the table and I'm not sure if it would be something we'd want to add. I do not know if such a mode would indeed increase the Sound Quality. But I will take note and discuss it internally.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
How to change Channels on the Taiko Audio Extreme Router

(also to be added to the Router Manual later)

Go to Network - Wireless

View attachment 118652

Tap "Edit" under Wireless Overview, second row

View attachment 118653

In the screen that pops up next, tap ‘Channel’

View attachment 118654

This produces a popup list

Choose your desired channel, scroll down to the bottom and tap Save

@Christiaan Punter

just for my simple mind when it comes to networking, this proposed method to change channels is not something Taio is recommending all users do????

It seems that this has become a way to add files to your Extreme when you are using a different computer elsewhere in the house that is not on Taiko wifi???

Can I not continue to add files using Taiko wifi and use an RJ45 out of my laptop into LAN1 of the Extreme and once the files are transferred I remove the RJ45, or is there something I am missing

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Steve, this is not just for file transferring purposes. It’s is also for app performance.

However, if you think your connection is strong than there is not need to change anything.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Steve, this is not just for file transferring purposes. It’s is also for app performance.

However, if you think your connection is strong than there is not need to change anything.
David---I completely understand. I said that in my post. To me it seems so labor intensive to undertake this set-up when all is needed is a RJ45 from computer to Extreme Lan 1.I said nothing about improving app performance. This seems to be only for file transferThese past few days of learning port forwarding seems to have captured our minds and I understand why you did it. For me however, I always use the KISS technique---Keep It Simple Stupid. Everything that I do which pertains to my Taiko wifi and my Extreme happens in my sound room. There are only 3 devices on my Taiko wifi ....Extreme, iPad and laptop. This works for my simple mind. I'm hoping we can start talking NSM pretty soon rather than port forwarding. I believe NSM is on ALL of our minds

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing