Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

...and I think recent discoveries were, the noise to worry about was not the airborne WiFi, so perhaps in the case of the Taiko router design and implementation, WiFi "on" doesn't matter...which is why you guys decided late in the product dev cycle to add it to the device in the first place.

Reactions: Taiko Audio
Estimated delivery for the rest of chrome routers &dcds?

Estimated delivery for the rest of chrome routers &dcds?
This is all in progress. We are expecting a new enclosure batch shortly, but we cannot currently provide an accurate estimate because 3rd party deliveries have come up short lately. Please see my previous post for a more in-depth explanation.

Reactions: QuantumWave
...and I think recent discoveries were, the noise to worry about was not the airborne WiFi, so perhaps in the case of the Taiko router design and implementation, WiFi "on" doesn't matter...which is why you guys decided late in the product dev cycle to add it to the device in the first place.

Indeed, activity from connected devices matter though, but without an Antenna, there are no connected devices :)

“traffic processing” on the Wi-Fi receiver creates less noise then on a RJ45 (wired) connection due the lower power consumption. If you can actually hear that is a different question ;)

In order of “traffic caused” noise the ranking from lowest to highest is:

1) DAC
2) Wi-Fi
3) RJ45
4) Fiber

I was thinking about the activity of the hardware 'frantically trying to connect' when WIFI is on, yet; what apparently does not matter , does not matter ;-)

Reactions: StreamFidelity
I was thinking about the activity of the hardware 'frantically trying to connect' when WIFI is on, yet; what apparently does not matter , does not matter ;-)

Although that’s absolutely a reality for say a full function operating system it doesn’t apply to the router’s Wi-Fi which will only broadcast its SSID, being a continuous process, continuous being key to low audibility, aka no “spread spectrum” “benefits” from for example stacking switches :)

Indeed, activity from connected devices matter though, but without an Antenna, there are no connected devices :)

“traffic processing” on the Wi-Fi receiver creates less noise then on a RJ45 (wired) connection due the lower power consumption. If you can actually hear that is a different question ;)

In order of “traffic caused” noise the ranking from lowest to highest is:

1) DAC
2) Wi-Fi
3) RJ45
4) Fiber

I must confirm that even in my system this is 100% true. I tested it .
I am truly amazed that for the first time I dont need a cable for my remote to get a top SQ.

...but what about this "spread spectrum" concept Emile noted from stacking switches, @Kris ? You are the Switch Meister, with PFBuff still in the flow, right? I put mine back a week ago myself after a long absence. What do you think?

Reactions: Kris and John T
...but what about this "spread spectrum" concept Emile noted from stacking switches, @Kris ? You are the Switch Meister, with PFBuff still in the flow, right? I put mine back a week ago myself after a long absence. What do you think?
I did a lot of testing with Buffalo switch and it is still beneficial to use it between the home router and taiko router. It is a must to have In my system.
I think this galvanically isolates the very busy and hard working home router from clean Taiko system. Or it is reclocking with PinkFaun Ulta clock I have in Buffalo?

BUT I dont touch the Taiko router settings and Taiko Extreme settings.
I belive Emile had so much time to fine tune it To the best possible outcome that I can only mess all things . So no changing anything in Taiko products.

The only thing I can consider in the future is to turn the firewall off in Taiko router as I have it already on my home router. Not sure how to do it and if it makes sense.

Yes you do indeed need to do that.
In my case, Roon does not find the Core from my home Wifi or tells it to look for another Core.
Is there a way to look in the router configuration to see if it is a configuration problem?

What it is, or rather how it’s best described, is some kind of charge buildup, over time it can start affecting sound quality. What it is exactly we don’t know. We do know it accumulates in large conductive masses. There are grounding tweaks creating a high affinity for this, if you use silver for example, it’s more conductive then copper, and this “charge” “likes” to move there. Then there are mechanics to dissipate this charge, batteries for example. Connecting a battery negative pole to a highly conductive mass appears to be able to dissipate this energy. There are a large number of manufacturers using all types of techniques to address this. Electrostatic, electromagnetic, piezoelectric, electronic circuitry and/or “quantum technology” seemingly addressing this.

Powercycling components with large conductive masses once in a while is good practice, but if you have one of those “mysterious” grounding systems this can upset equilibrium aswell.
Thanks for sharing this insight. On another forum, an individual reported that his server's sound quality kept degrading after 2-3 days, with a reboot helping to restore the sound quality. I referenced your post and that lead him to find that the ground leading to his system was defective. Addressing this seems to have resolved his problem. Seems to confirm that charge buildup was what was causing the sound quality degradation.

Thanks for sharing this insight. On another forum, an individual reported that his server's sound quality kept degrading after 2-3 days, with a reboot helping to restore the sound quality. I referenced your post and that lead him to find that the ground leading to his system was defective. Addressing this seems to have resolved his problem. Seems to confirm that charge buildup was what was causing the sound quality degradation.

Happy to help. Thank you for sharing!

Reactions: kennyb123
I did a lot of testing with Buffalo switch and it is still beneficial to use it between the home router and taiko router. It is a must to have In my system.
I think this galvanically isolates the very busy and hard working home router from clean Taiko system. Or it is reclocking with PinkFaun Ulta clock I have in Buffalo?

I belive Emile had so much time to fine tune it To the best possible outcome that I can only mess all things . So no changing anything in Taiko products.

The only thing I can consider in the future is to turn the firewall off in Taiko router as I have it already on my home router. Not sure how to do it and if it makes sense.

Turning off the firewall should have a negative effect.

Select “look for another core”.
I've already done it and still can't find it.
By the way, it is normal that from the Taiko network I can access the internet, I thought that was blocked but in my case I surf the internet without a problem

I've already done it and still can't find it.
By the way, it is normal that from the Taiko network I can access the internet, I thought that was blocked but in my case I surf the internet without a problem

Yes that’s normal. It’s a router, functionally the same as your home/isp/internet router. It “shields”you from “the internet”, aka people on the internet cannot just access your devices, but it allows you to browse the internet.

Reactions: Armsan
Yes that’s normal. It’s a router, functionally the same as your home/isp/internet router. It “shields”you from “the internet”, aka people on the internet cannot just access your devices, but it allows you to browse the internet.
For the sound quality it would be better if you browsed from the home Wi-Fi or it is indifferent

For the sound quality it would be better if you browsed from the home Wi-Fi or it is indifferent

Yes, but if I’m browsing the internet while listening I will not notice the impact. It’s small enough to require my full attention to the musical performance to notice. IMHO nothing to worry about.

I’m sure I haven’t tested as thoroughly as Kris, but my initial impression is that removing my PF/buffalo Router and connecting copper Lan
to Taiko Router is an improvement in my system.

But I’ll take my time and listen more before reaching a conclusion on that.

I am curious if fiber might be an improvement for me given the 70 foot length of my copper Lan from modem to Taiko router. But this would require two Sonore optical converters (expensive).

I know Taiko doesn’t see fiber as the optimal connection but other manufacturers do view fiber as the best network cabling. I wonder what accounts for the difference of opinion?

As for my comparison between wired to remote and Wi-Fi to remote, it’s too close to call at the moment. Given that, I’ll just choose not to use Wi-Fi.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing