Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
If you are using the taiko WiFi for all access to your extreme, you probably don't care what IP address the router gets assigned by your home subnet/router.

Where it really matters is if you are using port forwarding for vnc'ing from you home subnet or moving files via samba, both of which are important to me.

Now I will assign a static IP address (on my home ubuiti router) for the taiko router.

Q: without a static IP assignment, does this possible change of IP address impact either roon or qobuz? Enquiring minds......

Marty, I don't think it will affect Roon since the port forwarding rule on that sends it directly to the Extreme. I need to check though.

Not sure about Qobuz although I think the answer is the same.

SwissTom

Sep 30, 2021
Q: without a static IP assignment, does this possible change of IP address impact either roon or qobuz? Enquiring minds......

From an application point of view, a fixed or static IP address makes no difference.

Usually, assigning static IP addresses is not a great idea.

But I suppose that in the context of a home network, with only a few machines, it doesn't matter.

In fact, all IP addresses are static for the duration of their lease. The duration of the lease is determined by the DHCP server in your Home Router.

The lease can have an unlimited duration, which means that a given MAC address will be linked to a specific IP address for an unlimited duration. But that's all.

So no impact on Roon, Qobuz, etc.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Here in this neck of the woods we also get occasional "power hits". So with eyes glazed, I recon I should also configure a static route when I install the Taiko Router? BTW I don't have a clue what a static route is. Also the router doesn't seem to be set it and forget it. It also doesn't sound like "one shoe fits all"...
I don't think Ive seen lightning storms ever in California where I live. Our power outage are usually done by the power companies when we have high winds and change of sparks flying and fire. As I see it for those of us who have not done forward port changes, if we have a power outage and the IP address changes it is still discoverable by Fing and easily changed to the correct IP address

Reactions: DW101

Jpowell

Dec 23, 2011
I don't think Ive seen lightning storms ever in California where I live. Our power outage are usually done by the power companies when we have high winds and change of sparks flying and fire. As I see it for those of us who have not done forward port changes, if we have a power outage and the IP address changes it is still discoverable by Fing and easily changed to the correct IP address
Am I right in thinking that port forwarding (if set up in the TaikoAudio router) would still function without adjustment after the home router reacquires the Taiko router via DHCP? Or would one need to adjust the port forwarding manually to reflect the new IP address?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Am I right in thinking that port forwarding (if set up in the TaikoAudio router) would still function without adjustment after the home router reacquires the Taiko router via DHCP? Or would one need to adjust the port forwarding manually to reflect the new IP address?

That is correct. The IP address assigned to the Taiko Router by your main router does not affect the port forwarding rules set up on the Taiko Router.

Reactions: Jpowell

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
That is correct. The IP address assigned to the Taiko Router by your main router does not affect the port forwarding rules set up on the Taiko Router.

maybe i'm misunderstanding something, but if the IP address assigned to the Taiko router changes, i'd think that the port forwarding will not work since the target IP address/port has changed, i.e. the 'upstream IP address' was explicitly set in the port forwarding, right?

edit: i get it now! nothing in the port forwarding needs to be changed, but the old VNC and samba target IP addresses will not work if the home network has assigned the taiko router a new address. that is sufficient for me to set a static IP mapping for the taiko router on my home network. in other words, to take advantage of port forwarding without having to change the samba or vnc settings, the static IP is the answer (no changes to port forwarding, as you stated)

Last edited:
Reactions: dminches

RichardA

VIP/Donor
Mar 21, 2017
Calabasas CA
I'm hooking up my router and power distributor for the first time and it seems like my first default output on the distributor does not want to power the router, second one works fine so far and I can see the router. Every other one works so 5 out of 6.

rocco1113

Feb 7, 2020
Good day everyone. Any footers recommendation for Extreme Server ?

I am not sure if it has been discussed before. The thread is so long and I have short memory span ;-)

Reactions: pkaemmerer

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
maybe i'm misunderstanding something, but if the IP address assigned to the Taiko router changes, i'd think that the port forwarding will not work since the target IP address/port has changed, i.e. the 'upstream IP address' was explicitly set in the port forwarding, right?

edit: i get it now! nothing in the port forwarding needs to be changed, but the old VNC and samba target IP addresses will not work if the home network has assigned the taiko router a new address. that is sufficient for me to set a static IP mapping for the taiko router on my home network. in other words, to take advantage of port forwarding without having to change the samba or vnc settings, the static IP is the answer (no changes to port forwarding, as you stated)

Indeed, there’s actually no difference in that regard between your home router assigning a new ip-address to the Extreme or to the router. In both cases you will need to update your IP address based “links” for VNC or filesharing. If you stay within the audio network nothing changes at all.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
I'm hooking up my router and power distributor for the first time and it seems like my first default output on the distributor does not want to power the router, second one works fine so far and I can see the router. Every other one works so 5 out of 6.

That is surprising, please contact support@taikoaudio.com for a diagnosis / exchange.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Dead Emile, could you provide a rough estimate of month or month range for the BPS? XDMS-NSM? Thanks

We’re working around the clock to release this year. It’s gearing up to be something, imho, truly special which deserves a proper presentation to the world, stay tuned…

XDMS-NSM is now working for both local file playback and streaming but there are still a few bugs to squash, queuing doesn’t work yet for example. The sound quality is very good.

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019
Router and Power Distributor Install and Preliminary Sound
Re: install, while I initially grappled with a handshake, my only recommendation is if you do not get connection to Taiko wifi after powering down Extreme (front button), Switch and Router then powering back up in that order..... power down in that same order, then unplug the power cables from the back of the power distributor and reinsert, then (more importantly) unplug and replug the dc cables from the back of the router and switch. I also unplugged and replugged the antennae as well before powering back on in order. And there it was...Taiko wifi and I was fully up and running 30 seconds later!

Re: performance. for context, I cannot pull my closed box speakers very far into the room for functional reasons. The moment sound played with the router and power distributor in place, dominique fils, jack johnson, tracy chapman all stepped forward 1 to 2 feet toward me into the room, which is like 20% closer.

the instruments were easily discernible back into the sound stage. every song i played had this beautiful instrument imaging and soundstage, intoxicating. due to my setup limitations i have always struggled w soundstage depth. the speakers now are gone. every tonal attribute seems to have benefitted.

I cannot imagine the effect with a system that has the fully adequate room to breathe. I am smitten after the last 3 hours of listening. Headed back for some more and truly excited to see how the sound develops further, not to mention the other filters, etc. etc.

Again, thanks to this thread for all the advice and to Team Taiko. wow

Attachments

• router 1.JPG
    router 1.JPG
    710.3 KB · Views: 76
  • router 2.JPG
    router 2.JPG
    694.8 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Re: install, while I initially grappled with a handshake, my only recommendation is if you do not get connection to Taiko wifi after powering down Extreme (front button), Switch and Router then powering back up in that order..... power down in that same order, then unplug the power cables from the back of the power distributor and reinsert, then (more importantly) unplug and replug the dc cables from the back of the router and switch. I also unplugged and replugged the antennae as well before powering back on in order. And there it was...Taiko wifi and I was fully up and running 30 seconds later!
Just RTFM!

P a g e 8 | 9
Installation
To ensure the correct IP address allocation for the Router, Switch, and Extreme
Music Server, we recommend sticking with the following order.
1. Extreme Router
2. Extreme Switch
3. Extreme Music Server
Solving Connectivity Issues
In case of connectivity Issues, please follow the below routine.
1. Power OFF the router and the switch by unplugging their DC cables. Turn
OFF the Extreme Server from the button on the front. Leave the DC
Distributor (if you have one) powered ON.
2. Power ON the router first. Wait 2 minutes.
3. Power ON the switch. Wait 1 minute.
4. Power ON the Taiko Extreme.
5. Connect to the Taiko Wi-Fi network.

2ndLiner

Dec 16, 2015

Re: performance. for context, I cannot pull my closed box speakers very far into the room for functional reasons. The moment sound played with the router and power distributor in place, dominique fils, jack johnson, tracy chapman all stepped forward 1 to 2 feet toward me into the room, which is like 20% closer.

the instruments were easily discernible back into the sound stage. every song i played had this beautiful instrument imaging and soundstage, intoxicating. due to my setup limitations i have always struggled w soundstage depth. the speakers now are gone. every tonal attribute seems to have benefitted.

I cannot imagine the effect with a system that has the fully adequate room to breathe. I am smitten after the last 3 hours of listening. Headed back for some more and truly excited to see how the sound develops further, not to mention the other filters, etc. etc.

Again, thanks to this thread for all the advice and to Team Taiko. wow
I have a similar issue regarding the ability to bring my speakers into the room and how it limits soundstage depth. The addition of first, the Taiko switch, and now the Taiko router, has created more of the much desired 3D effect along with all the other sonic qualities that pull me in, tonal realism, liveliness, transparency, and dynamics. Also, vocalists and instrumentalists appear larger and more right sized. Incredible experience!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Good day everyone. Any footers recommendation for Extreme Server ?

I am not sure if it has been discussed before. The thread is so long and I have short memory span ;-)
I just recently changed the footers under my Extreme. I exclusively use Center Stage Ultra TT under alll of my components. Under the Extreme there was a huge uptick in sound quality from the previous version of Center Stage 2M. Several weeks ago Joe released the first update to his LS series (loud speaker footers). Joe sent me a set to evaluate as these are a completely different design than his previous footers as they are rounded on the bottom. They have auto balance and are also adjustable up or down by 1/4".

He only sent one set and these were for smaller speakers. I asked Joe if he minded that I try this set under the Extreme. He said to go for it and promised me that I would be more than surprised. Suffice it to say these new feet under the Extreme has brought the greatest change in my digital sound. I will have more to say about the new LS Ultra 2.25 footers They are killer under the Extreme and gone are the issues of placement under the fenestrated bottom of the Extreme.

Below are some photos of these new feet

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing