Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

I have another question here for users of the Taiko Router and switch and the use of footers.

Im curious as to which has the better sonic improvement.....footers under the switch or footers under the Taiko router

Steve, does “preferred port combinations” mean “unfiltered” for both?
Hi David,

My preferred port combinations are the DCD ports I've decided on as best sounding for me for Roon and XDMS. In my case:

XDMS: Taiko router/DCD Alt 2 and Taiko switch/DCD Default

Roon: Taiko router/DCD Alt 1 and Taiko switch/DCD Default

Steve

Hi David,

My preferred port combinations are the DCD ports I've decided on as best sounding for me for Roon and XDMS. In my case:

XDMS: Taiko router/DCD Alt 2 and Taiko switch/DCD Default

Roon: Taiko router/DCD Alt 1 and Taiko switch/DCD Default

Steve
those are precisely what I use however I don't use Roon

Here's what you said........The attributes I'd assign to the Taiko router powered by unfiltered ports are greater clarity, greater ability to hear deeper into the mix, enhanced sense of natural color and timbre, and increased dimensionality.

so what did you find better with alt1, alt2 and default

those are precisely what I use however I don't use Roon

Here's what you said........The attributes I'd assign to the Taiko router powered by unfiltered ports are greater clarity, greater ability to hear deeper into the mix, enhanced sense of natural color and timbre, and increased dimensionality.

so what did you find better with alt1, alt2 and default
If I understand the question correctly Steve, you are asking what sonic attributes are characteristic of each DCD output filter and to what extent (relative to the others).

Unfortunately I can't really give you an answer to that degree of detail. My normal method of listening is to just sit down, select a Queue of music I'm interested in hearing at that moment, hit Play and close my eyes.

Even if I am evaluating some change to settings, software or hardware I still start out listening this way. Only if the differences between A and B are quite small or not apparent immediately do I start listening for specific details and pull out the "test tracks" that illuminate certain individual sonic attributes. But I always start out listening for "the magic" before trying to break it down further in analytical listening.

In my experience with the DCD filters, their contribution to finding "the magic" in my music is clear enough that I found I didn't need to engage in a lot of back and forth trying to tease out differences -- the differences are immediately obvious on a macro level. For me there is one best combination for XDMS and one best for Roon and it didn't take more than an evening of listening to determine what those combinations are for me.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I would be a terrible reviewer because I don't have a lot of patience or predilection for listening in an analytical mode and I rarely make listening notes. I much prefer listening to the gestalt of the performance, presentation and emotion of the music. If I can achieve that level of emotional connection where I'm so immersed in my music that there is no sense of time passing until I suddenly realize hours have flown by -- well then, my stereo system has done its job.

Steve Z

If I understand the question correctly Steve, you are asking what sonic attributes are characteristic of each DCD output filter and to what extent (relative to the others).

Unfortunately I can't really give you an answer to that degree of detail. My normal method of listening is to just sit down, select a Queue of music I'm interested in hearing at that moment, hit Play and close my eyes.

Even if I am evaluating some change to settings, software or hardware I still start out listening this way. Only if the differences between A and B are quite small or not apparent immediately do I start listening for specific details and pull out the "test tracks" that illuminate certain individual sonic attributes. But I always start out listening for "the magic" before trying to break it down further in analytical listening.

In my experience with the DCD filters, their contribution to finding "the magic" in my music is clear enough that I found I didn't need to engage in a lot of back and forth trying to tease out differences -- the differences are immediately obvious on a macro level. For me there is one best combination for XDMS and one best for Roon and it didn't take more than an evening of listening to determine what those combinations are for me.

"Sorry I can't be of more help. I would be a terrible reviewer because I don't have a lot of patience or predilection for listening in an analytical mode and I rarely make listening notes. I much prefer listening to the gestalt of the performance, presentation and emotion of the music. If I can achieve that level of emotional connection where I'm so immersed in my music that there is no sense of time passing until I suddenly realize hours have flown by -- well then, my stereo system has done its job".

Steve Z

Sorry I can't be of more help. I would be a terrible reviewer because I don't have a lot of patience or predilection for listening in an analytical mode and I rarely make listening notes. I much prefer listening to the gestalt of the performance, presentation and emotion of the music. If I can achieve that level of emotional connection where I'm so immersed in my music that there is no sense of time passing until I suddenly realize hours have flown by -- well then, my stereo system has done its job.

Steve, no need to apologize as you and I are the exact same listeners. :) I appreciate what everyone says as to me they are data points that help me with my selections.I was looking to go to school on you putt inasmuch as you and I have found Valhalla with alt1 on Router for Roon and alt2 on router for XDMS exactly as have you.

Like you I want to have the best sonically, put up a queue, push play and the next thing you know ......well then, my stereo has done its job. Right on Steve........:cool:

Good day everyone. Any footers recommendation for Extreme Server ?

I am not sure if it has been discussed before. The thread is so long and I have short memory span ;-)
Before considering any recommendations for (speaker? see above) footers, it's essential to ask yourself what your specific goals are. Are you seeking isolation from external vibrations, high-frequency damping, enhancing the casing's sound quality, reducing internal vibrations, or preventing the footer/spring's self-resonance? In some cases, you might find that a noise-dissipating platform is a more suitable solution than new footers.

Note that if you also use the switch (and so on), it might require the same anti-vibration treatment.

An easy solution: maybe you can first move (the original) footers before changing them? See below:

Taiko Audio said:
The stock footers do a very good job providing repeatable performance across a wide range of surfaces, however depending on the surface / structural support you can get different results from using different footers. It is worth a trial playing around with this. Like with cables not everyone will like the same footer, and with a different surface you may prefer a different footer, even the footer location makes a difference.
Steve Williams said:
I remember when you visited you commented that shifting the footer to the right increases warmth due to the copper shielding on the right whereas a shift to the left creates more detail due the aluminum in that side of the chassis. For me I positioned mine adjacent to the stock feet and am loving it
Taiko Audio said: That is correct, also moving them inwards typically creates a more controlled / tenser /faster sound while outwards creates a more relaxed / weightier sound.
isquirrel said:
(…) my final optimum setup was to remove the normal footers from the HRS M3X2 bases and replace them with solid footers that instead of providing more isolation the solid footers allowed any energy from the Extreme's chassis to be drained into pathways within the HRS stand and finally into the timber flooring (carpet covered).
This was a major find and I replaced the rubber footers on the MSB Select DAC and its dual power supplies with spikes as supplied by MSB, this extracted even more resolution and was confirmed by the hairs on my arms and neck standing on end as if to salute the extraordinary sound.(…)
- - -
www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/taiko-audio-sgm-extreme-the-cr%C3%A8me-de-la-cr%C3%A8me.27433/post-626521

Last edited:
Today Ed got me running with my new Router and DCD. For some reason, my case was not an easy, and I certainly stood no chance of solving it on my own. Thanks, again, for the truly bespoke customer service of this Taiko team! It's hard to overstate what that means in the world of digital music systems.

I've just gotten an ear on things this evening, but it is very, very clear that something special has happened to SQ! I'm hearing greater tonal density, fleshier sound sources, and much more sculpted 3D realization of everything going on. The bass has greater differentiation and tunefulness, the power range feels more fleshed out, and the overall presentation coheres wonderfully, musically - - so much to like! Can't wait for burn-in and filter selection optimization.

I'm using Roon at this point. God, it feels good to have a stellar UI working for you. I figure I'll ride with Roon until the Taiko XDMS-NSM is rendered as a stable product. When that beats Roon convincingly on SQ, well, then I'll go back.

Right out of the gate, "Bravo!" team Taiko!

We just noticed that the Factory Reset Procedure is misdescribed in the Extreme Router Manual. The section was updated, and the new version of the manual has been uploaded to the Taiko Audio Website's Downloads section.

Please note that a Factory reset will not normally be required unless you want to revert to standard settings after changing something or if you run into a problem and want to ensure the Router is setup correctly.

The correct procedure is below:
  • Hold down the ‘Factory Reset’ button and keep it down. Simultaneously press the ‘Reset’ button for 2 seconds. Keep the ‘Factory Reset’ button down.
  • The orange ‘ON’ LED will come on, but keep pressing the Factory Reset button.
  • Next, the orange ‘ON’ LED will start flashing. When it finished flashing, let go of the ‘Factory Reset’.

We just noticed that the Factory Reset Procedure is misdescribed in the Extreme Router Manual. The section was updated, and the new version of the manual has been uploaded to the Taiko Audio Website's Downloads section.

Please note that a Factory reset will not normally be required unless you want to revert to standard settings after changing something or if you run into a problem and want to ensure the Router is setup correctly.

The correct procedure is below:
  • Hold down the ‘Factory Reset’ button and keep it down. Simultaneously press the ‘Reset’ button for 2 seconds. Keep the ‘Factory Reset’ button down.
  • The orange ‘ON’ LED will come on, but keep pressing the Factory Reset button.
  • Next, the orange ‘ON’ LED will start flashing. When it finished flashing, let go of the ‘Factory Reset’.
it will make a great sense to have simmilar thing for the Extreme Server.
Just hit one botton to get a NEW Extreme .
Will something like that be possible to create ?

it will make a great sense to have simmilar thing for the Extreme Server.
Just hit one botton to get a NEW Extreme .
Will something like that be possible to create ?
Theoretically, that should be possible, but due to the Extreme Server's many different components, software, and firmware, as well as the ongoing evolution of Roon and XDMS and considering individual configurations and custom user settings, this is incomparably more complicated. Most likely to the point that it is, in reality, not feasible.

For those making or having made their dc cables:
this connector had been mentioned favorably in this thread and preferred to Oyaide.

This plug is compatible for the dc output and input of the dc distributor?
Should I get these or something else?

For those making or having made their dc cables:
this connector had been mentioned favorably in this thread and preferred to Oyaide.

This plug is compatible for the dc output and input of the dc distributor?
Should I get these or something else?

Looks good to me!

Reactions: engadin
Looks good to me!
To help keep reliable and performing DC connections to the Switch, see below some ''not wonky'' DC plugs or copper & silver finished DC cables. According to AudiophileStyle testers Elecaudio and Viborg (see link @ bottom) sound better than Oyaide DC plugs (all come with or without up to three silicone dampening/spacer rings).
*edit* Normally for audio (networks) power supplies if we replace a standard DC cable with a good DC cable it will improve the sound quality, and this can be quite significant. But hard to tell how much and if that will be so in this particular Taiko network -> audio chain. Since Taiko previously explained here the separate DC power for the Switch helps it reaching top performance, I am convinced paying attention to it's DC connection (and PSU !) seems primordial. *end*

DC plugs:
* ELECAUDIO DCT-2.1G Male Jack DC 5.5/2.1mm Connector Tellurium Copper Gold Plated 3µ (without nickel undercoat).
* VIBORG DC21G Jack DC 5.5/2.1mm Copper Alloy Connector Gold Plated Ø9mm
* OYAIDE DC-2.1G Male Jack DC 5.5/2.1mm Copper Alloy Connector Gold plated Ø6.3mm

Cables:
* Companies like AudioSensibility make 100% reliable DC cables with up to 4X the copper or silver content of competitors, The Statement SE DC power supply cable or Signature Silver provide state-of-the-art performance for your audio-grade PSU. They also do custom. (I received a mail earlier that unfortunately the AudioSensibility web-site is down today, so please try later).
* Ghent Audio ''Do something for hi-fi fans''. Plugs: Oyaide , Neutrik XLR , GX 12 & 16 and more. Cables : Neotech, Gotham, Canare and more. Shipping included, post parcel around 15-40 days. https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/list-dc.html

''I have built two DC cables recently with these (Elecaudio) and they sound better than the Oyaide connectors as well'' (see discussion at AS)

Last edited:
Question on comparative listening between DCD filters:

When switching while music is playing is there a delay before hearing the new connection? I'm thinking there is a period of buffered playback to get through before we hear the new setting. Is this correct or do we hear the change immediately upon the cable input switch?

Question on comparative listening between DCD filters:

When switching while music is playing is there a delay before hearing the new connection? I'm thinking there is a period of buffered playback to get through before we hear the new setting. Is this correct or do we hear the change immediately upon the cable input switch?

You will hear it immediately.

Reactions: wil
To help keep reliable and performing DC connections to the Switch, see below some ''not wonky'' DC plugs or copper & silver finished DC cables. According to AudiophileStyle testers Elecaudio and Viborg (see link @ bottom) sound better than Oyaide DC plugs (all come with or without up to three silicone dampening/spacer rings).
Thx!
That was the post I had remembered but could not find!
Well, Viborg or Elecaudio, what to choose?

I wasn't impressed with Oyaide. Flimsy. After you solder the wires and then screw the housing back on, the solder creates a very tight space. Its very easy for the Neg/Pos to touch each other. Which ever connector you choose stagger the wires a tiny bit, it will keep it from creating a crimp or bunching up...

Thx!
That was the post I had remembered but could not find!
Well, Viborg or Elecaudio, what to choose?
I did remember since I wrote it ;-)

As you did not specify what specifically you are looking for in a DC connector, here some things to consider. They both have contacts made of 24k gold-plated copper alloy. Elecaudio also has a version with tellurium plating. Viborg seems to handle thicker cables better, in case that matters to you. At 9 and 15 Euros each, I'd just grab both and see which one you like more or has a better fit. Alternatively, if it's important to you, consider listening to them to discern any sound differences.

There's a lot of room for improvement in DC connector types like these, especially in audiophile applications. Ideally, connectors with enhanced features, such as a secure lock mechanism and increased contact surface, should be employed. Consider options like 4-point connectors as the WEIPU on the Ferrum Hypsos psu or the Jaeger DC connector (Paul Hynes lps) for an even better audio experience. However, most of the time it's crucial to balance with compatibility with other devices.

Last edited:
What connectors does Taiko use on their DC cables?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing