Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Still on 1311 for the Server, and it's sounding great still.

Agree on Roon 1353 update..it just ruined everything
I guess this was sarcasm that I missed? I didn't realize you had a Extreme? Thought it was a Mojo Audio Deja Vu Server? It seems to me there are so many caveats to Roon that only very few like Emile can actually understand. How does anyone know if something occurs prior to an update that affects SQ? Or some other software nuance? I certainly don't know. I do know WTF I heard or what I was hearing, and now I'm listening to XDMS. I'm also about to give up on this Roon Bullshit rollercoaster ride...

If anybody else noticed a degradation prior to actually upgrading to 1353 please report in.

Unfortunately I have missed this myself due to a constantly changing environment here working on our next releases. To add to the misery this invalidates some of last week’s work meaning I may need to rerun some experiments

Meanwhile we’re digging deeper into what’s changed in 1353, I’ve already alerted the homefront we may need to cancel our weekend trip :rolleyes:

Rest assured we’re doing everything in our power for an as fast as possible solution.

What narrows the search window is the degradation appears to apply to the Grimm MU-1, Roon Nucleus and Innuos servers which means it’s not just happening on windows based servers.
Once the Roon update has been done following the procedure that Christian has published, can Roon-XDMS be switched from the XDMS front end as was done before?

I'm also about to give up on this Roon Bullshit rollercoaster ride...
Trust me...it's a liberating feeling when you let go and only use XDMS;)

I don’t understand why people make changes to their Extreme setup before getting the thumb’s up from Taiko. In my system Roon sounds great and I won’t update it until I am given the go-ahead, with instructions. It is a fool-proof method. Otherwise you are just playing with fire.

Trust me...it's a liberating feeling when you let go and only use XDMS;)
As for sound quality, without a doubt. But if you just want to have background music, Roon Radio is unbeatable.

I don’t understand why people make changes to their Extreme setup before getting the thumb’s up from Taiko. In my system Roon sounds great and I won’t update it until I am given the go-ahead, with instructions. It is a fool-proof method. Otherwise you are just playing with fire.
Stupidity!! Several things going on at once, my setup says update available, it doesn't even do it automatically. Regrettably I hit update, obviously without thinking!

Meanwhile we’re digging deeper into what’s changed in 1353, I’ve already alerted the homefront we may need to cancel our weekend trip :rolleyes:

another reason to hate roon
:eek:

here's hoping your weekend travels still proceed.

Reactions: Pokey77 and Armsan
Since I am on auto Roon update, I'm not sure when I rolled over to 1353, but have not noticed any discernable change recently. I wonder, could this be because I do not have XDMS installed at all? (I am an NSM holdout)!

Just sat down to do some listening and my ipad network settings do not show Taiko Network as an option. None of the devices in our home do either. Reboot everything?

Just sat down to do some listening and my ipad network settings do not show Taiko Network as an option. None of the devices in our home do either. Reboot everything?

I would just repower the router for starters.

Reactions: 2ndLiner
Update availability announcement for all Extreme servers:

It's been a hectic 72 hours here at Taiko HQ but I'm happy to be able to announce the availability of a software update to address the changes brought by the much discussed latest 1353 build of Roon software, and XDMS.

You can now reach out to support@taikoaudio.com to request your Extreme to be updated. You will be served faster if you include teamviewer codes, preferably directly into your Extreme, and use "Roon update request" as the subject of your e-mail, the update process itself takes anywhere between 2 minutes and 30 minutes depending on how fast we'll be able identify the nature of your support request and to actually teamview into your Extreme.

This update does not only boost the sound quality of Roon build 1353 but it also includes an improvement for XDMS. It applies to ALL Extreme server setups, with or without the Extreme network card, switch, router and/or dc distributor, running Roon 1353, XDMS or both.

This update does not include the previously announced "NSM" upgrade for XDMS, it adjusts the Extreme operating system to work more efficiently with the current version of XDMS.

For Roon it both increases sound quality back to where it was before the 1353 release, and according to us and a few early beta testers, even beyond where we were with build 1311, but also improves the interface responsiveness. 1353 is, in our humble opinion, actually a superior release over earlier builds, it just operates in a different way which requires a change to how our operating system handles it's new process flow.

Now there are some caveats, it does appear to have an increased sensitivity to other Roon cores/endpoints in your network. If you own the Extreme router this still applies as we allow Roon traffic to pass through the router. We will need to have a good think on how to approach this in the future. For now we will have a firmware update available shortly to address the Wi-Fi disabling when being "pushed" out by other Access Points with much stronger transmission power. The 1352 interface has a few responsiveness issues still, regularly closing and reopening the remote app helps with that, I assume this will be fixed in a near future Roon update.

The bottom line is, if maximum sound quality is desired, you should shut down any other Roon cores/Endpoints in your home..

We expect further improvements in Roon sound quality and remote performance with undoubtedly upcoming Roon fixes and reduction in what appears to be extensive debug logging to an otherwise quite nice release!

For XDMS, NSM is still to follow, which is a huge undertaking as it requires a complete rewrite of years of coding, so please try to exercise patience on this, meanwhile with this update you'll have a very nice sonic upgrade to XDMS which may equal the actual uplift NSM brings on it's own.

Khyle, Ed (if available) and Christiaan will be handling most of the upgrades today/tomorrow, I'll be headed off to a Sting concert in Germany later today but will return for the weekend to personally upgrade as many systems as possible, I'm confident we'll have most people up to date before next week.

As always we'd appreciate your honest feedback on this update, it helps us to evaluate our process and if we're headed in the right sonical direction.

Last edited:

It's been a hectic 72 hours here at Taiko HQ but I'm happy to be able to announce the availability of a software update to address the changes brought by the much discussed latest 1353 build of Roon software, and XDMS.

You can now reach out to support@taikoaudio.com to request your Extreme to be updated. You will be served faster if you include teamviewer codes, preferably directly into your Extreme, and use "Roon update request" as the subject of your e-mail, the update process itself takes anywhere between 2 minutes and 30 minutes depending on how fast we'll be able identify the nature of your support request and to actually teamview into your Extreme.

This update does not only boost the sound quality of Roon build 1353 but it also includes an improvement for XDMS. It applies to ALL Extreme server setups, with or without the Extreme network card, switch, router and/or dc distributor, running Roon 1353, XDMS or both.

This update does not include the previously announced "NSM" upgrade for XDMS, it adjusts the Extreme operating system to work more efficiently with the current version of XDMS.

For Roon it both increases sound quality back to where it was before the 1353 release, and according to us and a few early beta testers, even beyond where we were with build 1311, but also the interface responsiveness. 1353 is, in our humble opinion, actually a superior release over earlier builds, it just operates in a different way which requires a change to how our operating system handles it's new process flow.

Now there are some caveats, it does appear to have an increased sensitivity to other Roon cores/endpoints in your network. If you own the Extreme router this still applies as we allow Roon traffic to pass through the router. We will need to have a good think on how to approach this in the future. For now we will have a firmware update available shortly to address the Wi-Fi disabling when being "pushed" out by other Access Points with much stronger transmission power. The 1352 interface has a few responsiveness issues still, regularly closing and reopening the remote app helps with that, I assume this will be fixed in a near future Roon update.

The bottom line is, if maximum sound quality is desired, you should shut down any other Roon cores/Endpoints in your home..

We expect further improvements in Roon sound quality and remote performance with undoubtedly upcoming Roon fixes and reduction in what appears to be extensive debug logging to an otherwise quite nice release!

For XDMS, NSM is still to follow, which is a huge undertaking as it requires a complete rewrite of years of coding, so please try to exercise patience on this, meanwhile with this update you'll have a very nice sonic upgrade to XDMS which may equal the actual uplift NSM brings on it's own.

Khyle, Ed (if available) and Christiaan will be handling most of the upgrades today/tomorrow, I'll be headed off to a Sting concert in Germany later today but will return for the weekend to personally upgrade as many systems as possible, I'm confident we'll have most people up to date before next week.

As always we'd appreciate your honest feedback on this update, it helps us to evaluate our process and if we're headed in the right sonical direction.
Thank you Emile & Khyle! Its almost 4:20 am here. Did a brief listen.. I am speechless. The sound quality has increased tremendously. The instruments do sound tighter and the separation is very obvious has more weight to it. Thank you again team Taiko!!! I am going to get some sleep for now.

Khyle just did my update and only took around 5mins so thanks heaps Khyle! There is a very obvious SQ jump in my system. As audiogeek sais above, more weight to the sound and for me just a better overall flow to the music (once again I don’t know how Emile does it!!). I found myself wanting to turn the sound up more than I would normally.

Awesome work Taiko team - now you just go and enjoy your Sting concert Emile knowing it will probably sound even better when you come back and listen to Sting in your system next week!

For Roon it both increases sound quality back to where it was before the 1353 release, and according to us and a few early beta testers, even beyond where we were with build 1311, but also the interface responsiveness. 1353 is, in our humble opinion, actually a superior release over earlier builds, it just operates in a different way which requires a change to how our operating system handles it's new process flow.

So when you say shut down any other Roon cores/Endpoints. In my case I only have Roon on my laptop and ipad. Are you suggesting in my case to only use one Roon application? Delete/remove the application on the laptop. Or does this not matter? I never have both open at the same time and never really use the laptop as remote, only the ipad.
Its pretty cool that here on WBF with many listeners together we can contribute what we are hearing and then you expand the diagnosis...

Last edited:
Update made by Taiko Team.
Roon sounds like never before and XDMS becomes stratospheric…

Great job Emile and the team

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing