Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

So when you say shut down any other Roon cores/Endpoints. In my case I only have Roon on my laptop and ipad. Are you suggesting in my case to only use one Roon application? Delete/remove the application on the laptop. Or does this not matter? I never have both open at the same time and never really use the laptop as remote, only the ipad.
Its pretty cool that here on WBF with many listeners together we can contribute what we are hearing and then you expand the diagnosis...

Shut down the laptop for maximum SQ.

Reactions: John T
Shut down the laptop for maximum SQ.
So is/was the crux of the issue the following: Roon was set to launch as start up from the the Extreme Taskbar. When you also have XDMS installed and use it, Roon must not be set to start automatically. When on manual, it will enable using the toggle in the XDMS app. Christiaan on Monday started from the Extreme Server. Is this the extent of the upgrade or is something further needed?

So is/was the crux of the issue the following: Roon was set to launch as start up from the the Extreme Taskbar. When you also have XDMS installed and use it, Roon must not be set to start automatically. When on manual, it will enable using the toggle in the XDMS app. Christiaan on Monday started from the Extreme Server. Is this the extent of the upgrade or is something further needed?
Disregard, Khyle did the complete Upgrade...

Oh my!!! What a difference!! I knew I wasn't imagining the degradation of SQ in 1353. Haven't even gotten into XDMS yet. Mind blowing the difference!!!

I wanted to thank Taiko Team for helping me with the Roon fix.
Thanks to Khyle Levitt who was so quick I could not believe.
I sent the request and before I got my tea the fix was done .
less than 15 min of waiting I believe and probably less than 5 min fix.

But I must say XDMS sounds amazing . This is the most „ realistic” sounding update I ever experienced.
Roon also sounds out of this galaxy .
Moment like this with so big SQ improvement’s is making every Extreme owner very happy I believe.

In less than 24 hours I went from Roon Kamikaze, to mouth open in disbelief!! Still just with Roon...I'll get into XDMS later...Khyle, GREAT RESPONSE!! Thank You...

Last edited:
Thanks for the review guys!
From what everyone is saying this update makes a big difference.
Update request sent

What Roon build are you guys running after the Taiko update? When I load Roon after the Taiko update it is still asking me to update Roon. That doesn’t seem right.

What Roon build are you guys running after the Taiko update? When I load Roon after the Taiko update it is still asking me to update Roon. That doesn’t seem right.

That’s what I would have assumed mine would running but I am still on 1311.

Try this, toggle to XDMS, open it. Then toggle back to Roon...

So when you say shut down any other Roon cores/Endpoints. In my case I only have Roon on my laptop and ipad. Are you suggesting in my case to only use one Roon application? Delete/remove the application on the laptop. Or does this not matter? I never have both open at the same time and never really use the laptop as remote, only the ipad.
Its pretty cool that here on WBF with many listeners together we can contribute what we are hearing and then you expand the diagnosis...
There are two independent matters:

- Roon USB output/zone disappearing issue after update
- Roon sound quality after update to 1353

The Roon update issue with the disappearing zone is explained in a document I shared earlier, attached below.

What's in today's update is much more than that. Countless tweaks, large and small, culminate in significant improvements for both Roon and XDMS.

Attachments

• Fixing Roon Missing USB Output_V4.pdf
    292.1 KB · Views: 19
Have you tried stopping the TaikoRoon process, starting Roon natively, and then doing the Roon update?

John, it isn’t updated. Khyle confirmed.
Disable block automatic updates.

Khyle said he ran into issues updating my machine. I have been waiting for his instructions. Should I do this regardless?

Have you tried stopping the TaikoRoon process, starting Roon natively, and then doing the Roon update?

Khyle has been updating my machine. Shouldn’t he be doing all this? I don’t want to mess him up.

Khyle has been updating my machine. Shouldn’t he be doing all this? I don’t want to mess him up.
I'll be in touch with you via mail...

John, it isn’t updated. Khyle confirmed.

Khyle said he ran into issues updating my machine. I have been waiting for his instructions. Should I do this regardless?
Emile means simply allowing all updates in Roon (in case you had disabled this).
In any case, I will be in touch to check.

Reactions: John T

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing