Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Emile means simply allowing all updates in Roon (in case you had disabled this).
In any case, I will be in touch to check.

Indeed, if you don’t allow Roon to update to 1353, it won’t update to 1353.. User interface settings are not overruled by the update.

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
In less than 24 hours I went from Roon Kamikaze, to mouth open in disbelief!! Still just with Roon...I'll get into XDMS later...Khyle, GREAT RESPONSE!! Thank You...
I hear you John
I had a simmilar „crash” in last few days.
Now it is Heaven.
What Taiko Team has achieved here is that they fully understood the game and they are of a full control of whatever is happening In softwere domain.
This is probably the bigest value we all got here with the Extreme purchese.

Christiaan Punter

Dear all,

We have done quite a few updates today!

We're finishing the last pending ones and then have to stop working on this for today. We will resume work on this tomorrow 08:00 CEST.

Don't worry if we haven't gotten to your system yet. We will continue throughout the weekend to finalize this.

aLLeARS

VIP/Donor
Feb 20, 2020
Wow! That was quick. The update process took around five minutes.
Special thanks going out to Khyle for providing the update so quickly after my request!
I'm on Roon only at this time.
This is not subtle. The update provides better, deeper/wider imaging front to back and side to side as well as more solid bass.
The overall sound is more fleshed out and organic. Expect a big uptick in listening pleasure!
The Taiko team ROCKS!!!

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I've had the update. With a brief listen, I prefer the sound of Roon over XDMS. Roon sounds more dimensional. What do others hear?

John T

Feb 15, 2022
I hear you John
I had a simmilar „crash” in last few days.
Now it is Heaven.
What Taiko Team has achieved here is that they fully understood the game and they are of a full control of whatever is happening In softwere domain.
This is probably the bigest value we all got here with the Extreme purchese.
I know, I'm stunned!! To achieve these kind of results astounds me! To analyze a problem like this so quickly and come up with a enhanced solution is truly impressive. Which also presents the future potential as to where this may go. I'm absolutely floored...

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Gosh....I feel I rejoined the Roon brigade as Ed graciously updated mine. Took all of 5 minutes.

Thanks to the Taiko Team. Today is Thanksgiving. On this Roon patch day, how appropriately named. Giving thanks to all , esp Emile, Ed and this great Taiko team.
@Taiko Audio Have fun at the concert. What an accomplishment, to finish this patch and get everyone updated, we have Thanksgiving Dinner followed by music later today.

Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Listening to all

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
so here's my question....with this Roon patch auto updates are now disabled. What happens going forward when there are new Roon updates. Is this the firmware update that Emile talked about that is coming or how will new updates be handled in the future

This entire fiasco takes my memory back a few years when Roon gave up the ghost one day and Emile did some thinking as how best to remedy the situation and IIRC out of this was born TAS followed shortly thereafter by XDMS and with any luck NSM will be under our Christmas trees

Reactions: DW101 and Armsan

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
No..you select in Roon whether to auto update or ask to update

Reactions: John T

Christiaan Punter

so here's my question....with this Roon patch auto updates are now disabled. What happens going forward when there are new Roon updates. Is this the firmware update that Emile talked about that is coming or how will new updates be handled in the future

This entire fiasco takes my memory back a few years when Roon gave up the ghost one day and Emile did some thinking as how best to remedy the situation and IIRC out of this was born TAS followed shortly thereafter by XDMS and with any luck NSM will be under our Christmas trees
No..you select in Roon whether to auto update or ask to update

Future Roon updates may still break things. A final fix is still in the works.

Disabling updates in Roon only works for smaller patches. Big ones will still be pushed by Roon.

We recommend staying up to date. Rest assured, we will take care of any issues that may arise.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Yes major updates pushed by Roon but u can still select to auto update or ask to update

Christiaan Punter

Yes major updates pushed by Roon but u can still select to auto update or ask to update
Indeed, that gives you control over when the update is installed but it does not switch upgrades off and keeps reminding you until you click ok... And I believe (correct me if wrong) some updates still auto-install upon a restart.

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Have you tried stopping the TaikoRoon process, starting Roon natively, and then doing the Roon update?
Not sure what you mean "starting Roon natively", Christiaan.

Thanks,

Steve Z

Christiaan Punter

Native is not really the right word. I mean instead of starting from the TaikoRoon service, start from the normal Roon shortcut on the Extreme's desktop.

The full description is in the document (see below).

Attachments

• Fixing Roon Missing USB Output_V4.pdf
    292.1 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: Taiko Audio

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Native is not really the right word. I mean instead of starting from the TaikoRoon service, start from the normal Roon shortcut on the Extreme's desktop.

The full description is in the document (see below).
Thank you, Christiaan. I appreciate the clarification.

I am one of those weird people who did not update or allow Roon to auto-update to build 1353 (checks notes -- yes, that is the right number this time!).

However, last evening PST, Emile sent me a preliminary package that he had been working on to update the Extreme OS settings. Easy self-install and oh my! even with Roon build 1311 there has been a marked improvement in Roon sound quality here. Much better than before and XDMS also improved significantly, too.

So, given that Emile's professional opinion is that Roon build 1353 is an improvement over what came before I am going to cross my fingers and update my copy of Roon from build 1311 to 1353.

Even without doing so, and even having heard the significant improvements over the years with each Taiko innovation, it was still quite amazing to hear how changes to the Exteme settings and allocations can improve musical enjoyment so much.

Best regards and a happy American Thanksgiving Day to all the Extreme and Taiko family,

Steve Z

Christiaan Punter

Indeed, 1353 is a very neat build if it wasn't for the bloat, which Emile cleverly addressed. To be honest, I was just as amazed when I heard it! Emile is quite the Wizard.

I'm sure you will work it out, Steve! And if not, you know how to find us! :cool:

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Easy-peasy. All up to date now.

I'll have to do some more listening this evening to determine where I fall now on the Roon or XDMS question but right now Roon build 1353 sounds damn good!

Thanks to all the Taiko team -- the team that never, ever sleeps.

Steve Z

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing